How old is too old?

I was asked by someone the other day how old I felt would be too old to move to another country. For example if a forienger in Taiwan goes back to his/her country and of course takes the spouse with him/her would there be an age at which point it would be too difficult for the spouse to adapt to the new environment? We had a fairly long and detialed discussion about this. An interesting topic I think.

What about the spouses family members, etc. Would they move or stay? We had a good discussion about this. Some issues related to this topic that we talked about were:

Is there a different how men and women think about this?
What about medical costs in Taiwan compared to a western country? If you are older the medical costs may be hirer.
What about the rest of the family? Would they move? Are they too old to adapt to a new environment?
What about the language, could they adapt and learn if they were too old?

For the spouse and other family members who immigrate:
Getting around
Interests, what to do - Boredom may set in.
Working?
Family togetherness, family lives together or apart?
Etc. Etc. Etc.

What do you guys think about this?

I can tell you that the U.S. health care system is entirely out of control. I pay $250 a month for health care here. I paid the same in the US, only the currency was US dollars. If you want to go bankrupt quickly, be a sickly person in the United States. Yeah, health care in Taiwan has a few drawbacks, but at least you won’t go broke here.

I think adaptation has much to do with English ability, and even more to do with guts. My old boss, Mr. Chou, had a “nanny” living with him and his kids in the U.S. She had weak English skills and a small dandz, so she was pretty damned miserable. They lived in a nice city, but just driving to get the kids terrified her.

All a mental game. If you feel too old, you are too old. I wouldn’t mind trying a new country when I retire.

Why are some threads like this one “head threads”. What are the requirements. It obviously has nothing to do with the topic being interesting. Could someone please make the three head threads at the top of this section become headless so it’s not so clunky? Why not keep things orderly? Also, while I’m on the subject, does anyone actually participate in polls or read the results? I don’t really see the point.

Why don’t you start a poll about it, Chainsmoker?

chainsmoker

This has nothing to do with this topic, just send me an email next time or hell yeah start a poll about it!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

To answer your question, this was my decision to put it on the top (as a head thread) for a few days as I posted it on Friday, stupid me I know, so it got pushed down quite a bit. I have removed the head thread status as people have replied to it now and it is back on the top where people can see it at least for a couple of days. :sunglasses:

There are no requirements it’s simply what the moderators feel should be head threads.

I am not removing the head status of the other two because they are polls, after awhile I will indeed remove the head threadstatus. I hope to do this with all the polls so long as there is not a full page of them… :shock: :laughing:

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread topic!!! “How old is too old!”

I vote for 72

72? Any reason?

Well, I once got beat in a 10km race by a dude who was 72 years old so I think that he could probably negotiate a McDonalds and find the telly remote in a foreign country, but 73?, cmon man, that’s a little much, (that includes you, Mr. running man). I’m pretty sure you’re not even allowed to fly international flights at that age. You’re pretty susceptible to economy class syndrome (yes, even if you run a lot). Even if it is allowed, I don’t want to say anything to encourage the 73+ crowd to fly, because, judging from past experience, I will end up sitting next to half of them getting rousted from valium-induced slumber to help them open their peanuts and figure out the tray table.

Thanks, CS, you’ve just reminded me to add vitamin V to my pre-Taiwan flight list. Never get on a plane without it.

That’s our (the wife and I) plan. All we need to do is decide on which country to go to… preferably in Europe… Oh, and then we have to work like heck to earn the $$$ that will allow us to do so.

We’re thinking about Ireland, Hungary, England…

Then, after a few years there, wherever there is, exploring Europe and drinking European beers, we’ll head back to the US. Probably go back to my home town, eventually. But I’ve always wanted to live in Alaska and my wife wants to live in NYC.

We’ll see. May end up like that old Duane Allman song…

“I ain’t seen my wife in two or three years
I’m a happily married man…” :wink:

That’s our (the wife and I) plan. All we need to do is decide on which country to go to… preferably in Europe… Oh, and then we have to work like heck to earn the $$$ that will allow us to do so.

We’re thinking about Ireland, Hungary, England…

[/quote]

Then you need http://www.escapeartist.com

Thanks, Sandman. Cool site.

We have a long way to go, in terms of $$$, before we can live the dream.

My wife had my fortune read (without my knowledge until after the fact) a few years ago and was told that I would be wealthy by the time I hit 45 years of age. Well, that time is fast approaching, but I am nowhere near wealthy, at least in terms of $$$ (and I think Taiwanese fortune tellers mean $$$ when they speak of wealth). Ever since then, my wife’s mind has been in overdrive thinking about how she can make me rich by then. She has already started one venture, which is doing OK. She’s now thinking about and actively investigating other money-making plans.

Which leads me to wonder about fortune tellers and the effect that they have on the outcomes they foretell… like self-fulfilling prophecies. For instance, if my wife is successful in business and indeed I am able to retire early, will I have the seer to thank for lighting the fire under my wife’s rear end? Alternatively, what if the fortune teller had told my wife that we would be failures and destitute by the time I am 45 years old? Would my wife have had the enthusiasm to go into business, when she had never done any business previously, at the age of 43?

I wonder how many of the accurate fortunes result from the way people react to the fortune tellers’ reports of the future.

Tigerman,

Have you been popping the vitamin Vs too? Retire and move to Ireland, Hungary, England or NYC? :? I thought the idea was, after enduring all those years in a lousy location with lousy weather because one had to earn a living, one would retire in a place such as Thailand or Mexico, where the weather’s warm, people are friendly, food is good, and life is cheap. That would be my plan. As for age, I’m with Mr. He: it all depends on one’s attitude.

No no no no, I don’t __________ it no more, I’m tired of waking up on the floor… (Ringo tune)

I like the cold weather and snow (which is why I want to live in Alaska before I die… I want to see the Northern Lights before I die too). I like beer, alot, and I like good beer. Thailand is not noted for its beer and other than Negro Modela, Mexico hasn’t any interesting beers. I also want to go somewhere where I will not be stared at or the target of questions regarding my complexion, weight, diet… or whatever).

Its been 20 years since I was last in Europe (not counting a trip through London on our way back to the States for Christmas a few years back), and my wife, being Asian, would also like to see Europe rather than more of SE Asia.

The Irish are plenty friendly, as I recall, and I have relatives in Hungary and Sweden and Germany. We might buy a place in Budapest from our cousins there and give them a good price so that they can get an upgrade and we would then have a centrally-located base from which to explore Europe… and its many fine beers.

From what I have learned, he would have then offered to gai ming (change fate) for an additional fee of a few thousand (or several thousand, depending on the negotations) NT.

[quote=“Tomas”][quote=“tigerman”]
Alternatively, what if the fortune teller had told my wife that we would be failures and destitute by the time I am 45 years old?
[/quote]

From what I have learned, he would have then offered to gai ming (change fate) for an additional fee of a few thousand (or several thousand, depending on the negotations) NT.[/quote]

:laughing: That’s great! Reminds me of lyrics from a Dead song (Saint Stephen):

Fortune comes a crawlin, Calliope woman
Spinning that curious sense of your own
Can you answer? Yes I can,
but what would be the answer to the answer man?

I am struggling to think of something that wouldn’t remind you of a Grateful Dead song !!! And I’m failing…!

Yeah, well… Traveling around the east coast and parts of the mid-west (US) following the Dead was a big part of my life (all of junior high and high school, college and to a lesser extent, law and graduate school and then until we returned to Taiwan in 1995). I saw over 100 Dead shows and all of them were more fun than I can ever relate. Heck, I took my wife to see her first Dead show on the evening of the day we were married (and the next day too). I was able to get my son to a show, one of the Dead’s last shows, in the summer of '95 before returning to Taiwan.

Worked on a farm as a kid and whenever we were doing any type of work that didn’t involve machinery, we had live Dead tapes playin’ loud in the barn.

The Dead were an American band. Their roots were in traditional Appalacian bluegrass (and I realize that much of that came from the UK and Ireland) and blues and jazz and gospel. They also played lots of cowboy songs and train jumping songs. The idea of picking up and taking a road trip that would take me 1000 miles from home to see a band that never had any hits, with barely enough cash to pay for gas, let alone food, and just trusting fortune and the goodness of others, was incredibly appealing, and ultimately, very rewarding to me. And doing so with a coupla pretty, gauze paisley peasant skirt-wearing Deadhead chicks with daisy chains in their long hair was even better!

It was pure and indescribable fun while it lasted… and I have fond memories enough to last me a life time… so yes, lots of things remind me of lyrics from various Dead songs. Why, this post reminds me of the Dead song, “The Music Never Stopped”:wink:

[b]

There’s a band out on the highway.
They’re high-steppin’ into town.
They’re a rainbow full of sound.
It’s fireworks, calliopes and clowns –

Everybody’s dancing.
Come on, children. Come on, children,
Come on clap your hands.

Sun went down in honey.
Moon came up in wine.
Stars were spinnin’ dizzy,
Lord, the band kept us so busy
We forgot about the time.

They’re a band beyond description
Like Jehovah’s favorite choir.
People joinin’ hand in hand
While the music plays the band.
Lord, they’re setting us on fire.

Crazy rooster crowin’ midnight.
Balls of lightning roll along.
Old men sing about their dreams.
Women laugh and children scream,
And the band keeps playin’ on.

Keep on dancin’ through to daylight.
Greet the morning air with song.
No one’s noticed, but the band’s all packed and gone.
Was it ever here at all?

But they keep on dancing.
C’mon, children. C’mon, children,
Come on clap your hands.

Well, the cool breeze came on Tuesday,
And the corn’s a bumper crop.
The fields are full of dancing,
Full of singing and romancing,
'Cause the music never stopped.[/b]

Tigerman, i’ve always wondered what the Grateful Dead and the Deadheads were about. Thanks for that; it was informative and interesting.
Mark