How They Got Rich: Success Stories

I thought it would be interesting to share stories about people you know very well who have gotten rich. Instructive for those of us who aren’t necessarily poor but who aren’t yet hoyalang (rich people/person in Taiwanese).

I"ll go first.

Uncle D
Uncle D is 54, and has been a millionaire since his mid-40s. Born and raised on a family-owned farm that made just enough money to keep the family on the farm but poor as dirt, he finished a few years of community college and then started working as an electrical contractor in Phoenix, Arizona. Fast forward to age 37, he’d owned various real estate development and building companies but had never made it big. Anyone familiar with the growth trajectory of Phoenix knows that construction and real estate has been a boom and bust business for the past 30 years, but more boom than bust over the long term. Still, Uncle D never quite made it big time working on his own.

So, at 37, he went to work as a construction supervisor for a big commercial/residential builder in Phoenix, mainly because his last company hadn’t made it and he needed a job. His first paycheck, which he has framed, grossed him US$1,800 for the two weeks, in 1991. Uncle D started reading and meditating in the morning from 5am to 7am, hitting the office at 8am, and working until 6pm. No huge hours, but he started thinking deeply about how to manage people and business in an intuitive way. 17 years later, he’s the Executive VP and COO of that firm, which has prospered over the years. He paid cash for a $1 million home in a nice suburb eight or nine years ago. That home is now worth $2.5 million. He owns two planes, three custom Harleys, a BMW motorbike that cost more than most sedans, and he and Aunt P drive the latest luxury SUVs. He makes well over a million per year, lives fairly simply but not overly frugally, and continues to apply his theories of intuitive management (He calls it “allowing success”) to his work and to the work of others who he advises.

He told me that the best way to achieve success is to choose a job that you love and then learn how to do it as well as it can be done. He says that it doesn’t matter what you do. All you need is a deep desire to be excellent, a willingness to listen to your intuition, and a little bit of ambition, and you’ll eventually have as much as you want to have. He would say that people generally create their own success or failure, depending on what they believe and what they decide to do. He would also say that focusing on making money isn’t really the way to make lots of it.

I’ve got another Uncle who is also a hoyalang. If this thread gets some responses, I’ll post his story too.

Uncle D seems to have a lot of good sense. I’d be interested to know about specific examples of what he did to improve the company and figure out his style of management.

Also, I’m game. What’s a hoyalang?

I should add to the mix:

1. Uncle R. Came to HK as a refugee from China as a kid. Lived in a poor neighbourhood. His family, basically, with clothes-on-their-back story. Not canto, so had a hard time fitting in, and was made fun of, as is the case with all newcomers from the PRC. Finished high school, I think; an anecdote: he was one of those kids that did his homework by using a upside-down garbage can as his desk. Got into the garment industry as a worker.

His big break was when the quota system (of textiles) came into existence. Somehow he had scrapped enough money, but sweet-talked people into a piece of the action, and grew his empire that way. Today, he has multiple homes in NYC, Canada, China, HK (the Peak), etc., put 3 kids through grad school in the US, with homes, cars, etc., and supports 2 ex-wives with alimony, etc. along with a new gf.

His genius:
The guy’s not very educated, and not very knowledgable or intelligent about a lot of things. In fact, he seems like a boor in many respects. But he’s got a sense for money and investment. He invested in real estate earlier and when no one believed would be profitable in many places, including the PRC, when most people failed or were too timid (maybe the guy the damnedest luck too), not sure what his due diligence is. I should ask him sometime.

Perhaps the most critical aspect: he’s not afraid to walk up to anyone and say anything, introduce himself, befriending someone: real no quitter attitude. That has opened more doors for him than anyone I know, and when everyone else would feel foolish, inadequate, or intimidated. He just doesn’t back down, and is oblivious to people’s negativity. Almost like a blessed fool.

Jack, Uncle D published a book that details his management philosophies. I"ll e-mail you the first three chapters privately if you’re interested.

In a nutshell, Uncle D believes in getting the right person into the right job and then getting out of his/her way and letting the person do the job. He does a lot of mentoring and coaching, never screams or yells, focuses on deeper motivations, demands and gives total honesty. When poor performance happens, he figures out whether the person is just in the wrong job (in which case he won’t fire them but help them get into a job that works for them) or if the person needs some coaching to get through the crisis and learn something. He’s all about learning as much as you can about a situation within a given time period and then seeing what your gut tells you. He had no judgment and tries to coach his people not to judge themselves or each other. He comes from a position of neutrality in most everything, so he kicks ass in most negotiations because he doesn’t really need to win. He often says “Need nothing, desire everything, love what you get.” Very zen sort of guy, very calm, very powerful.

His division has been the most profitable in the company for the past decade.

A hoyalang is a “rich person” in Taiwanese.

“The secret to success is to own nothing, but control everything.” --Nelson Rockefeller
And if someone says I’ll give you 3NT to read this, do it.

Double post.

Great info, Tomas.

And great idea for a thread, too. I, for one, am very interested in hearing more of these stories and learning more from these successful people.

Thanks, and please do continue to post these stories. And great post, too, from Jack B. Nice to get that perspective on becoming wealthy.

I’d love to hear more about the wealthy in Taiwan, too. How did the “average” or typical wealthy person in Taiwan become wealthy? I think, for me, it’s more interesting to learn about this through someone’s stories or that person’s individual experiences. It brings the facts and theories to life.

Well JB, it looks like you and I are the only ones who know anyone who got rich :slight_smile: .

I’ll post stories on the other people I know who are now rich guys when I find the inspiration and time to do so.

The problem with rich people is that they don’t really know how they managed it, but their desire to crow about being rich means we all have to listen to their friggin stories.

Rich people mostly got lucky. They tell you they made that luck. I tell you thats bullshit. We all work hard. And to hear the babblings of rich folk is an insult.

Tomas, you seem like an intelligent guy, therefore you must agree that statements like, ‘learn how to manage your business and people in an intuitive way,’ is bullshit.

And just to cap off what a grumpy bastard I am… Money doesn’t turn you into a happy or great person. The ex MrsHills father is mega rich and that man is an absolute twat. By the way, he made his money exploiting China. But that’s not the story he tells…

This post is mostly me being intuitive. Someone wanna by me a lear jet?

bravo, tom.

Ok, he doesn’t own any airplanes, but my brother – just 2 years older than me – took a different path than I (the screwing around having fun and goofing off brother) did, and he’s done very well financially: has a beautiful house in Denver surrounded by other millionaires, a second house in the mountains, nice cars and other toys, never needs to work again, and is constantly traveling the world with his family, enjoying great vacations.

After high school he headed straight for Vail Colorado to be a ski bum. Worked at various restaurants and really enjoyed it. Somehow talked his way in to Cornell Hotel School – one of the world’s top schools for learning about every aspect of owning, managing and developing restaurants, hotels, resorts, etc. I believe his grades had been subpar and he shouldn’t really have been offered admission, but he’s always been extremely gregarious, a terrific talker, and that’s how he got himself admitted. Loved Cornell and excelled in the program.

After graduation joined a major consulting firm, advising the hospitality industry, but tired of that, so in 1984 he and a couple of partners started their own company, which has been a phenomenal success, having built, purchased, developed and managed over 250 hotels across the US (Hilton, Sheraton, etc). My brother still serves as Chairman, but a few years ago, in his mid 40s he resigned as CEO and has been searching for other opportunities in business or politics or education, he’s not really sure. He doesn’t need the money, but after total success in his one company he quit out of boredom (nothing more to accomplish there he explained) and hopes to find an interesting and challenging new venture to occupy his time and give his life meaning.

His key to success: same as above, of course one should love what one does. He totally loved his work, loves to talk, loves to do deals, loves to succeed at business (as a small kid he was totally into monopoly). And hard, hard work for many years. He is indefatigable and in the early years was regularly in his office at 5 or 6 am and working till late at night, because the work needed to get done and he demanded that it had to be done right.

Was it worth it? He’s a lot fatter than me, his hair turned all white long ago, and he looks easily 10 years older than me. On the other hand, he loves/d his work and it has escalated him to a high echelon where his friends and associates are mayors, governors, ceos, etc., which gives him the high energy thrill he thrives on and abundant opportunities for hte future. And, he’s all set for life financially well before age 50. So, yes I’m sure he’d say it was well worth it. He started early in life, worked like hell at what he loved and is now coasting along.

Sorry Tom, but I believe getting rich has very little to do with luck.
There are a few ways to get rich:

1.You can get rich through marriage.
2.You can get rich through inheritance.
3.You can get rich through winning the lottery. (ok, that one has to do with luck)
4.You can get rich by being a sports, movie, rock star, or by being outstanding in a certain field.
5.You can get rich by being greedy.
6.You can get rich by being cheap.

There are different systems to getting rich.
They are usually plain and boring, but most importantly they work.
I’d say most rich people know exactly how they got rich, and luck had little to do with it.
I believe people that truly want to be rich, find ways to be rich.

[quote=“Josefus”]Sorry Tom, but I believe getting rich has very little to do with luck.
There are a few ways to get rich:

1.You can get rich through marriage.
2.You can get rich through inheritance.
3.You can get rich through winning the lottery. (ok, that one has to do with luck)
4.You can get rich by being a sports, movie, rock star, or by being outstanding in a certain field.
5.You can get rich by being greedy.
6.You can get rich by being cheap.

There are different systems to getting rich.
They are usually plain and boring, but most importantly they work.
I’d say most rich people know exactly how they got rich, and luck had little to do with it.
I believe people that truly want to be rich, find ways to be rich.[/quote]

But I think Tomas was trying to talk about all those bullshit theories rich people expect us to swallow. ‘Work hard, be passionate, be intuitive.’ That sort of information is insulting to Joe Public, as most people do work hard or are passionate. Advice like, ‘hang out in Dubai near a Sultan and wear a low cut bra,’ well that’s practical advice.

Also, Josefus, getting rich through inheritance? How is that not luck?

[quote=“TomHill”]The problem with rich people is that they don’t really know how they managed it, but their desire to crow about being rich means we all have to listen to their friggin stories.

Rich people mostly got lucky. They tell you they made that luck. I tell you thats bullshit. We all work hard. And to hear the babblings of rich folk is an insult.

Tomas, you seem like an intelligent guy, therefore you must agree that statements like, ‘learn how to manage your business and people in an intuitive way,’ is bullshit.

And just to cap off what a grumpy bastard I am… Money doesn’t turn you into a happy or great person. The ex MrsHills father is mega rich and that man is an absolute twat. By the way, he made his money exploiting China. But that’s not the story he tells…

This post is mostly me being intuitive. Someone wanna by me a lear jet?[/quote]

Well NOW I’m convinced I’m wrong. What incisive logic is on display in this post! Let’s see if I’ve got this straight…

If TomHill prances into a forum and announces that something is bullshit well then, it’s bullshit. No evidence or reasoning necessary. Just a mouthful of spite, and I’m supposed to be convinced. Have I got that right?

:laughing: :laughing:

For the record, Uncle D has never “crowed” to anyone about his success. He’s a t-shirt and old jeans sort of guy who spends weekends tinkering in an airplane hanger. I know he’s rich because he’s my uncle and I’ve spent a lot of time in his home. He wrote a book that details his management philosophies, but the book is not required reading in the classrooms of any country. I’ve talked with him for years about things like happiness and success, and he’s never once claimed that money buys happiness. If anything, that is my premise, one Uncle D would refute.

After this post, I’m not going to argue about off-topic posts anymore. The purpose of this thread is to share success stories of people you know who got rich. If you have nothing to contribute, it shouldn’t be necessary for me to invite you to go elsewhere. You can always start a new thread about the randomness of achieving wealth, right?

Not everything is about you, TomHill. Could you leave us be here?

[quote=“TomHill”]The problem with rich people is that they don’t really know how they managed it, but their desire to crow about being rich means we all have to listen to their friggin stories.

Rich people mostly got lucky. They tell you they made that luck. I tell you thats bullshit. We all work hard. And to hear the babblings of rich folk is an insult. [/quote]

That’s bullshit. Of course some may not know how they managed it and some may want to crow about being rich, but plenty of them know exactly how they got rich, for plenty of them it was by years of hard work, skill, intelligence and wise choices, and plenty of them have no interest whatsover in babbling on about business or wealth. Those are your prejudices.

Many people, as discussed above, got rich by devoting themselves intensely to pursuits they love. I personally would rather spend time with one who is passionate about his life and his work than one who bitches and moans about how bored he is, nudge, nudge, wink wink.

If you’re not interested in business or don’t wish to talk with or about people whom you have prejudged in a certain manner, that’s fine, you’re free to ignore them. But you’re prejudices are not universally true – far from it.

True, but it often helps and certainly most people on earth would prefer to have it than not.

You are right, and you will be welcome into my thread. And don’t get your knickers in a twist. Be intuitive. Manage this situation with your intuition, not your anger. That won’t make you rich, young padawan.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
Many people, as discussed above, got rich by devoting themselves intensely to pursuits they love. I personally would rather spend time with one who is passionate about his life and his work than one who bitches and moans about how bored he is, nudge, nudge, wink wink.[/quote]

I love you Mother Theresa, I love how angry you are. Come here and have a big Tom hug. There you go you big dummy.

[quote=“TomHill”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]
Many people, as discussed above, got rich by devoting themselves intensely to pursuits they love. I personally would rather spend time with one who is passionate about his life and his work than one who bitches and moans about how bored he is, nudge, nudge, wink wink.[/quote]

I love you Mother Theresa, I love how angry you are. Come here and have a big Tom hug. There you go you big dummy.[/quote]

I’m not angry at all. On the contrary, I’m a very happy person and I’m happy right now. I also feel extremely fortunate because I love my work, despite the fact that I work very long hours, so I have no doubt that many people got rich working very hard at something they loved, not to rack up money, not to brag, not to claim they’re better than you, but just because they love what they do, so when I hear you – who has moaned before about being so damned bored – criticizing these people for following their hearts, I just felt a need to set you straight.

But I don’t mean you any malice. I hope you, too, can one day find something you’re enthusiastic about. It’s a great feeling. Good luck.

Perhaps we can draw a lesson from this exchange with the deeply insulted Mr. TomHill. Perceiving an insult when none was intended is probably not very helpful in achieving success, just as wading in and attempting to insult everyone who disagrees with you is probably also a colossal waste of time, albeit a highly entertaining one for people in some corners of the world.

Could we possibly get back on topic now, or should we arrange some sort of slap-fight?

[quote=“Tomas”]Perhaps we can draw a lesson from this exchange with the deeply insulted Mr. TomHill. Perceiving an insult when none was intended is probably not very helpful in achieving success, just as wading in and attempting to insult everyone who disagrees with you is probably also a colossal waste of time, albeit a highly entertaining one for people in some corners of the world.

Could we possibly get back on topic now, or should we arrange some sort of slap-fight?[/quote]

Tomas, take a look at my counter thread. People work hard and die in poverty. The slappings aren’t needed. Would you like a Tom hug too?