How to access HHR from US for spouse visitor visa

Hello - I’ve tried searching the forum but I can’t quite seem to find what I am looking for.

We have been to our local TECO office but we seem to be missing or not understanding a part of the application process for my visitor visa. My husband was born in Taiwan and was registered by his parents. He has an ID number on his passport. We are trying to get my kids and I visitor visas but we need an official HHR transcript that has been issued within 90 days of application. We cannot figure out how to request this as he has not lived in Taiwan for a long time. The HHR that his parents have is an original printed document but it was issued 30 years ago. They will not accept that. Is it possible to obtain this document while we are in the US or is this something we need to be in Taiwan to request? If anyone has dealt with a similar experience, I would appreciate your insights. Thanks so much!

Why do you need a visitor visa for the kids? Are they NWOHR?

If they’re US citizens then they can come here visa free. If you need the visitor visa so you can extend it or something, then I don’t know.

Taiwanese government is stuck in the 1980s as far as internet goes, so don’t expect to be able to get anything done online. Either you come to a HHR office in Taiwan to do it, or you have an appointed person (kinda like a power of attorney except there’s a specific form with the HHR office) to do this.

Thank you for your info! My kids and I would like to obtain ARC through my husband once we arrive in Taiwan. Our TECO office said we have to have a visitor visa first, then apply for TECO. They made it sound like we could not apply for ARC without having this visa first.

Your husband is Taiwanese. Why would you wanna put your kids through the hell of possessing an ARC?

Would it be better for them to apply for dual citizenship as well? I saw that the international school we are sending them to require some form of long term residency documentation.

Absolutely! As ARC holders, we face numerous glass walls in just daily life.

Constant demands for guarantors for even the most basic of subscription services.

An ID number that doesn’t work on half of the websites/companies because most locals are ignorant to the fact we have different ID numbers.

Lack of rights. Needs for permission to work, stay etc… (though this will apply when they are older)

Numerous restrictions on purchase of some types of land. More if you come from a country or US state that doesn’t allow Taiwanese to buy real estate.

Restrictions on loans, worse deals etc…

Not all of this is insurmountable, but if I have kids, they’re getting all of my and (future) wifey’s passports.

1 Like

Not to mention they would be Taiwan citizens even before the 1990 rule. They would be inherited citizens, at minimum nwohr.

But they would have to join the military.

This is helpful, appreciate the insights!