How to answer politely and accurately when Taiwanese say you speak Chinese well! But you don't

流利如他媽的 [liúlì rú tā mā de]

1 Like

真的嗎?我可以只用中文嗎?因為我以為這是英文的網站,所以有點不禮貌用中文不用英文。但是你如果更喜歡用中文我就跟你講中文。沒問題。

Chinese-only posts are not really welcomed on this site, so. The occasional one might be OK though.

2 Likes

It might be fun just to answer with something out of left field.

Your Chinese is great!

You should see me naked!

2 Likes

Or one could just say “我沒聽清楚。請慢一點說。” over and over and they will get the message (namely, that one’s Chinese actually isn’t that great).

On more serious note, I guess it could be useful to memorize a couple of witty and appropriate four-word idioms as a response. For example, in my dictionary, I could find the idiom 業精於勤 which translates as “A subject is mastered through diligent study”. That would probably come across as a pompous answer, but you might try it anyway to spice up the conversation.

There’s also 力不從心 which translates as “less capable than desirable (idiom); not as strong as one would wish”. An alternate translation is also given as “the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak”, which might add another layer of intrigue to the response.

還好啦. 簡單的而已. 中文很難

5 Likes

No but no one is translating their responses here so when in Rome…

I think we have discussed having a Chinese only forum but it’d be of limited value probably.

1 Like

We have a “let’s talk in Chinese” thread, and it’s dead as a door nail.

2 Likes

Just respond in English. That would shut them up.

2 Likes

Or maybe.

還好啦。簡單的而已。 中文很難。討厭。

1 Like

Honestly, if that happens to me, and it shouldn’t, I just don’t have much of an foreign accent as I mimic the way my wife and her family speaks, with a “Taiwanese accent”, I just say, “OK.”

It’s right up there as compliments go with “You can use chopsticks!” :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Because why would you want to?

Time to kill while waiting for root canal?

Don’t talk to me about root canals.

那聊一下拔牙可以嗎?

3 Likes

This is best answer. All the others posted here are inappropriate translations or textbook Chinese.

I’d leave the taoyan off. Especially if you are male.

1 Like

I seriously doubt anyone said guaibude.

Nanguai is much more common because it is closer to the Taiwanese equivalent.

8 Likes

Yeah, I can’t remember the exact words, I just remember they’d say “no wonder” in Chinese.

1 Like

Genuine question: Is it really? I feel like I don’t hear it that often and when I try to use it I get the vibe that I am somehow saying something incorrect. I pay attention to that vibe because I have said a lot of wrong things over the years so I am pretty sensitive to it.

Would it be correct to say that it is used more often in a slightly formal situation where the two people don’t know each other and are being guarded? It feels ‘distancing’.

Any light you can shed on this is much appreciated.

1 Like