How to answer politely and accurately when Taiwanese say you speak Chinese well! But you don't

As per title.
。。真的很少?
非常一點?

哪裡哪裡

5 Likes

我的中文很糟糕

謝謝你太客氣. Thank you, you’re too polite.

2 Likes

不會不會 (waves hand frantically)

That should be your answer even if you do speak it fluently btw

9 Likes

不敢當

What’s funny is people assume you started at literally 0 Chinese when you arrived in Taiwan.

I used to come here for holidays before I moved here, but I’d studied Chinese in Shanghai to a very high level, so I was already fluent.

I’d ask people for directions and things, and naturally got asked “How long have you been in Taiwan?” And I’d say "About two days
" Then get the response “How do you speak Chinese so well after 2 days.” I’d answer “Because I’m a genius.”

Then I’d explain I’d studied it in Shanghai and lived in China for 2 years, and they’d say 怪不得. “No wonder”.

3 Likes

I assume that for those who have physical appearance similar to the locals but who lack language skills (e.g. ABTs), the opposite phenomenon might apply – “how come your Chinese is so bad?” I was sitting at some local train station (二水 I think) and some random elderly guy walked up to me and just started chatting in very lively and friendly way. I told him in Chinese that I didn’t speak Chinese and didn’t understand him, but he just kept talking. I guess he was asking the usual touristy stuff, “where are you from, where are you going, have you been to such and such a place?”, but the only thing I could catch from his rapid-fire speech was the final 對不對.

1 Like

Yeah I have a Taiwanese-American friend like that. He speaks Chinese, but isn’t native and people mock him for how bad his Chinese is.

2 Likes

Please don’t.

This is the correct answer. :+1:

2 Likes

還好啦!

4 Likes

哪裡 is a very old-fashioned thing to say. I would just advise saying 謝謝, or something similar.

2 Likes

我很厲害,對吧?

6 Likes

那是因為我是個天才,對嗎?

It’s still the standard response.

我就是天才,沒辦法

6 Likes

Just be polite and modest and say thanks.

A woman complimented me the other day, then said nothing after i said i had been here a number of years. She couldn’t lie to herself any longer, she knew my Chinese should be better than it is for the time I’ve been here.

8 Likes

Also, if people remember me at 711 or something I’ll say 那時因為我特別帥嗎? They love modesty here.

“If I tell you I’ve lived in Taiwan for 18 years, you’ll think my Chinese sucks.”

8 Likes

You don’t have to translate. We’re all as fluent as fuck. 理所當然

1 Like