How to argue with a global warming "skeptic"

Only a gobshite with his head stuck in two feet of mud would question global warming at this stage.

1 Like

They don’t usually bother denying the reality anymore (though they still will, if they think they can get away with it). Now the goalpost is at either 1) it’s not us 2) it’s us… but it’ll be good! or 3) it’s us but there’s nothing we can do about it, so let’s just try to adapt.

3 Likes

If I die, just know that I talked shit until the bitter end :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I’m thinking there’s money to be made out of the current dumpster-fire scenario. Familiar with carbon offsets? Apparently there is now a growing market for voluntary purchases - the money is then invested in certified schemes like tree-planting.

There are millions of burned-out hectares sitting around doing nothing, for various reasons, and I’m guessing they could be acquired for modest amounts of money. The thing is that regeneration can be fairly rapid - about 5-10 years - and at that point you could actually turn a profit. The only fly in the ointment here is that (as far as I can tell) carbon-offset schemes have to be run as holier-than-thou non-profit organisations. If I can find a way around that, I reckon I’m well on the way to my first McMansion and Aston Martin.

1 Like

One issue is making sure that alternatives make sense …some schemes seem to be so wasteful…maybe @Vay knows more ?

Ooops…

Canada’s forests actually emit more carbon than they absorb — despite what you’ve heard on Facebook

Our managed forest land hasn’t been a net carbon sink since 2001

He he …hello Fred :kissing_heart:I guess you won’t be a Canadian tree today ?

Not unless it is orange cuz I hear that’s a good color to wear when walking on the polar ice caps… the ones that no longer exist cuz the Arctic is now ice-free. Try to keep up.

1 Like

But that is old news…just because the predictions have all been wrong for the last 40 years does NOT mean anything…97% of scientists agree.

Tiny Tim knew before Al.

Frightened most kids to death at the time

Still better than EU though, no?

The argument was always about Luntz being a message meister, no?

Vay

Jan 2013

Bigmuff you never answered that huge post I directed at you, and now you want to pipe up about THIS? It’s not being used to “prove global warming”. It’s just one more brick in the wall.

And Fred Smith, the whole global warming/climate change name change conspiracy insinuation is crap. In reality, the two terms have both been used for decades, and the only individual to have specifically advocated changing the name in this fashion is a global warming ‘skeptic’: Republican political strategist Frank Luntz.

You guys must be really happy to see the page has changed, at least.

Shiadoa… the predictions have all been wrong? Maybe, but not in the way you think. Wish I could find a more current one of these, but I think it gets the point across well enough:

IPCC models have been too conservative. Things are worse than the forecasts, not better. That appears to be true for sensitivity, as well (which is really terrible news):

The argument was always about Luntz being a message meister, no?

Yes. Now the challenge is, how to deprogram the people he and Fox and rightwing radio have been brainwashing for the past couple decades.

So is climate change not going to impact that estate?

1 Like

What a thread!!! Jesus

@fredsmith curious what’s your view on climate change nowadays?

@fredsmith was last seen living in a treehouse with a drunken cat . Vay was seen with a chainsaw nearby but respected the tree too much :innocent:

1 Like

“US greenhouse gas emissions drop under Trump”

This is so misleading!

But this sounds better!

" “In 2020, U.S. greenhouse gas emissions will be substantially lower than they were in 2019, but that’s not because of progress that the Trump administration has made in reducing emissions,” said Trevor Houser, an energy and climate analyst with the Rhodium Group, a nonpartisan research organization. “That’s because we had the largest economic recession in a generation. So that’s not exactly cause for celebration.”

1 Like