How to Attend Computex?

Hi:

Does anyone know what I need to attend
Computex at WTC?

I’m a local professional, can I just
buy a ticket to enter?

I plan to go this Friday, would it be ok?

Thanks,

Please post the hours too, if you know them. Is there retail going on there, or just wholesale, schmoozing, and display?

Computex 2002
http://www.taipeitradeshows.com.tw/computex/
June 3-7; 9:00AM-5:00PM (4:00PM on Friday)

I’ve been to the show six times, and here is my experience:

1. Free admission to overseas guests (it’s not good enough to just be a foreigner). You gernally need a business card to prove it. Any will do. They are inclined to reject free admission if you have Chinese printed on your card or speak Chinese with the on-site registration people, even if you look like a foreigner to them.

2. If you look Chinese, they will discriminate against you, meaning that you better not have the slightest scent of being a local or a resident. Otherwise, they will try to charge you admission. My advice is to bring a foreign passport as backup. Again, do NOT speak Chinese or present a card with Chinese on it.

3. Otherwise, if you are clearly a foreigner, like white or indian or black, etc., you can do what I’ve done when I forgot my pass: Just walk quickly through the guarded gates and entrances. They are generally too embarrassed to make sure you have a badge.

4. I’ve never tried to buy my way into the show, but I “hear” that you can buy a ticket.

Computex is not a great place to buy stuff. That is more suited for the local computer show that already happened this year. However, there are a few booths that sell, in my opinion, assorted junk. Don’t expect to be buying too many complete computer systems. Most manufacturers and traders are in the business of low-cost computer components, peripherals and integrated systems. If you are looking for a scanner, USB hub, EPROM programmer, etc., you might get lucky.

Most are small to middle-sized companies that are looking to find new customers. The bulk of these traditional companies consitute the basis for the so-called “Taiwan Miracle.”

There are a few larger companies that are working on PR goals by being at the show, and are not trying to make retail sales or find new customers. They are therefore just showing off their technology and trying to get noticed.

If you are looking to break into the IT field here in Taiwan, it might be a good idea to locate the foreigners that are working the show ask them about their experience working in the Taiwan IT field.

If your name card has Chinese on it (and probably mentions a local company), you can still tell them you are from the local branch of a foreign company. Explain that it is more cost efficient to send people from the branch than to fly someone into Taiwan. But as Jeremy said: Don’t speak Chinese!

However, Computex is almost like hell. A western face will be pulled aside at almost every booth, no matter how you are dressed. When I walk there dressed “very casually” and a taiwanese colleague in suit is walking right next to me then he will be ignored while I will be flooded with brochures (and in return, should hand over lots of business cards)…

If you don’t really need (business) to go there - forget it and spend the day doing something else, because almost anything will be better then that…

Hi:

I wrote an email to Computex and they told me that you can still buy a ticket on the entrance,
but I don’t know what’s the fee?

I have replied asking for this info, so once I got an answer I’ll share it with you

Cheers,

Just go in, fill out the registration papers at the front desk, don’t speak any Chinese to the staff when you give them your registration papers. If are you are working here that’s fine. If you don’t have any business cards just write down any company’s name or make up a name. Several of my friends had no problems getting in.

Oh and usually these types of functions and shows are free to foreigners, but not for local people. So if you are afraid they will charge you because you live here, don’t speak any Chinese and tell them you just came into town for the show. You shouldn’t have any problems either way.

Jeff
jeff@oriented.org

Tickets must be 200 something iirc. But I wouldn’t go there voluntarily…
A strange thing is that while everyone at the booths is hunting only for “foreign buyers”, the “show” (and it is one) itself is more oriented towards the local taste: The “entertainers” (mostly women) one can see on the stages there will only speak Chinese - and the way they speak I doubt their target audience is older than 25 - probably less… It will be extremely noisy everywhere and as a foreigner you don’t have the slightest chance to spend more than three seconds looking at something without being offered a catalogue and asked for your business card…