How to avoid blisters?

Any secret or not-so-secret tips on how to avoid blisters, in particular at the pad of the foot (right word?) and toes?

If you’ve got new shoes, rubbing a little soap on the area of the shoe that is too tight should stop it blistering.

In New Zealand when i used to do a lot of hiking, I used a product called sleek. It’s basically like sticky tape or band-aid except very slippery. Wrap it around the toes that blister. A band-aid will do, but try and get a slippery one.

Brian

If you don’t think the blisters are from wear, then it could be caused by a fungal infection. Because Taiwan is so humid, athlete’s foot can be a much more common occurance. This can cause blistering as an allergic reaction. If this is the case, go to your local pharmacy and get a tube of antifungal cream. Arcolin is a local brand I’ve used. Apply it twice a day until there is no more itching for several days. If you have seriously broken skin due to the infection, you can use a steroidal cream such as Dermovate to accellerate the healing.

That’s what I do for my feet too…works like magic. I use Canesten (BAYER) which I think has better results than the local brands. Maybe I just trust a well-known brand or is it the packaging. Sometimes the pharmacist tries to sell me the local one with the same ingredients when they don’t have Canesten. I usually wait for it to be in stock…I guess I just love the white packaging it comes in!

It turned out to be athletes foot in my case. Initially it didn’t look like it but within a few days it developed and spread around. Using some cream now (Terbinafine or something like that) and will see how it goes.
Used Canesten once back in Germany when I caught a fungus while being hospitalized and it worked fast and efficient, if the above fails I will get that.

Also good to remember that you need to continue treatment for 2-3 weeks after the fungus seems to have disappeared.

BTW: are there any sprays for ‘disinfecting’ shoes or is this not necessary?

Are you sure they’re blisters and not spider bites ? :smiling_imp:

NOW I am sure, see my update in that thread … :wink:

[quote=“Rascal”]Using some cream now (Terbinafine or something like that) and will see how it goes.[quote]

Ooh, Terbinafine is the newer anti-fungal, much faster than the older ones. I didn’t know it is available in Taiwan now. What brand name is it?

The product is called Terfine, green package with Chinese words on it (beside the name). Brand is Syn… something, I picked it up in a small pharmacy along Shida Road.

Just went shopping for a shoe spray at Watsons and Cosmed, didn’t see Terfine or Canesten there.
Bought a spray from Scholl which is anti-anything (fungal, bacterial, odour, spider bites :wink: etc. …)

Taping the spot prior to exercising or hiking is a good idea.

Mostly blisters originate from rubbing against a rough body or from shoes that don’t fit well.

[quote=“Rascal”]It turned out to be athletes foot in my case. Initially it didn’t look like it but within a few days it developed and spread around. Using some cream now (Terbinafine or something like that) and will see how it goes.
Used Canesten once back in Germany when I caught a fungus while being hospitalized and it worked fast and efficient, if the above fails I will get that.

Also good to remember that you need to continue treatment for 2-3 weeks after the fungus seems to have disappeared.

BTW: are there any sprays for ‘disinfecting’ shoes or is this not necessary?[/quote]
you can get those toe socks… looks kinda like foot gloves :laughing: . They help athlets foot from happening…
:? I tho they look weird at first… but after a while I just love them :blush: