How to be a foreigner and an artist in taiwan?

I have lived and worked (as an English teacher) in Taiwan for a handful of years.
I am, however, an artist and would like to return my focus to this career.
As I have come to love Taiwan and living here, I am wondering if and how it would be possible to live here and pursue my artwork.

Furthermore, would it also be possible to have a dual work permit while I build up my art career? (practically speaking, continuing to teach as I relaunch my art career would be a realistic - and hopefully short-term - way to ensure paying the bills.)

These is my initial questions and I welcome any advice or knowledge you could share.

(I envision the income from my artwork being a combination of sales of original work - direct or gallery related, freelancing, and perhaps merchandising some images. My background includes years of exhibits, mostly DIY/small scale, and a BA in studio arts from an American college. I’ve been a somewhat active in Taiwan, but I’m afraid those experiences would count against me in any application/effort to get a visa, as they occured without official approval )

Thanks.

I know of a guy here who just opened up his own studio and does graffiti art. I don’t know how he started his studio but PM me with your email address and I’ll pass it on.

Best of luck. I hope it works out for you. :rainbow:

[quote=“mosquitonet”]I have lived and worked (as an English teacher) in Taiwan for a handful of years.
I am, however, an artist and would like to return my focus to this career.
As I have come to love Taiwan and living here, I am wondering if and how it would be possible to live here and pursue my artwork.

Furthermore, would it also be possible to have a dual work permit while I build up my art career? (practically speaking, continuing to teach as I relaunch my art career would be a realistic - and hopefully short-term - way to ensure paying the bills.)

These is my initial questions and I welcome any advice or knowledge you could share.

(I envision the income from my artwork being a combination of sales of original work - direct or gallery related, freelancing, and perhaps merchandising some images. My background includes years of exhibits, mostly DIY/small scale, and a BA in studio arts from an American college. I’ve been a somewhat active in Taiwan, but I’m afraid those experiences would count against me in any application/effort to get a visa, as they occured without official approval )

Thanks.[/quote]

There is no easy answer except… sort of. I suggest you come along to the next Forumosan Entrepeneur’s Meeting where you will get a lot of practical advice.

Tot up your five years and then get an Article 51 section 3 work permit (for garden-variety unmarried-to-local foreigners). You can apply to any company for a job with this permit – no limitations on foreigner slots or anything. That way, you could think about finding a company that could stretch the description of your job so that you could market your work, give lessons, or whatever.

You need to find out about the Dream Community, in Xi Zhi. They support artists in a big way. Dream Community Link. Gordon Tsai is the guy you want to talk to. We’ve been in association with them for the past three years, and have nothing but good experiences with them.

Cheers.

The problem with this thing, as I learned, is that most companies don’t know about it and trying to educate them about it is a real bear.

It can be very difficult, but if you can get your situation sorted with a 51(3) it’s a very good solution if you’re not married to a local.