How to care for a Husky (advice please!)

My friend just found a Husky puppy. I think I am going to keep him. He is about 7 months old by my guess.

How do people properly care for them in this heat? Should I have him shaved? Any special tricks that I may be able to use to help keep him cool.

I make sure he has enough water. He is still a puppy so I can’t let him roam freely in the house cause he is in the process of housetraining. He only pees on his newspaper and comes close to it when he poo’s. He stays in a spare bedroom where the ventilation isn’t great but it doesn’t get much sun so it’s not very hot. He’s doing well so far.

I can only take him out twice a day. At lunch time and at around 9pm. At 9 I take him and my other dog to the park where they can run and play for an hour or so. He is socializing well with other dogs. I am having trouble getting him to come to me when I want to go home. He seems to think that being put on his leash is a big game.

He is really cute. I feel bad for him in this heat. It pisses me off that locals can’t step outside of their selfish (Oh husky’s are so ke-ai) mentality and realize they shouldn’t live in this climate.

A shave about this time of year is a very good idea. Make sure to leave the very end of the tail unshaved. It’s the lion look. Very important! :wink:

Lots of water at all times so that he can drink as he pleases, and do not leave him in direct sunlight. When exercising, give him a break if he’s panting too much. Feel free to soak him up with clean water if you go for long walks. That will help him stay cool.

Other than that, it’s just like most other dogs.

marboulette

Dogs need three bathroom breaks a day, though you’re letting him go on paper, so that’s OK. Huskies need company much more than other dogs, and lots of hard exercise. They also tend to run off, as they are easily distracted. Huskies are known to get lost off leash, so bear that in mind. And they’re crap guard dogs.

Other Forumosans have huskies, so they can help more, I’m sure.

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]My friend just found a Husky puppy. I think I am going to keep him. He is about 7 months old by my guess.

How do people properly care for them in this heat? Should I have him shaved? Any special tricks that I may be able to use to help keep him cool.

I make sure he has enough water. He is still a puppy so I can’t let him roam freely in the house cause he is in the process of housetraining. He only pees on his newspaper and comes close to it when he poo’s. He stays in a spare bedroom where the ventilation isn’t great but it doesn’t get much sun so it’s not very hot. He’s doing well so far.

I can only take him out twice a day. At lunch time and at around 9pm. At 9 I take him and my other dog to the park where they can run and play for an hour or so. He is socializing well with other dogs. I am having trouble getting him to come to me when I want to go home. He seems to think that being put on his leash is a big game.

He is really cute. I feel bad for him in this heat. It pisses me off that locals can’t step outside of their selfish (Oh husky’s are so ke-ai) mentality and realize they shouldn’t live in this climate.[/quote]

Make sure he gets o chip and the rabis vaccination and all the medical details !! and have fun with him !!

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Dogs need three bathroom breaks a day, though you’re letting him go on paper, so that’s OK. Huskies need company much more than other dogs, and lots of hard exercise. They also tend to run off, as they are easily distracted. Huskies are known to get lost off leash, so bear that in mind. And they’re crap guard dogs.

Other Forumosans have huskies, so they can help more, I’m sure.[/quote]

Does spending time with my other dog count?

I’m not entirely sure if I can keep him yet…I am pretty busy with work. He is forcing me to spend more time with my first dog now though.

If anyone is interested in him give me a PM. I still need to give this some thought though. He is pretty sweet :slight_smile:

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]
Does spending time with my other dog count?
[/quote]Yes, absolutely. These dogs are generally good with other dogs and they need people or other dogs’ company, indeed.

As for shaving, I should have mentioned that they can’t be shaved too short:[quote]The Siberian Husky has little to no pigmentation in its skin. If you shave the Husky, you expose it to the sun without protection.[/quote]
In fact, some people who work with these dogs are often against shaving them for other reasons as well such as a better ability to fend off parasites(fleas and ticks), and they also claim that shaving the dog does nothing to keep them cool. I call that bullocks on both counts, but you can read about it here and decide for yourself.

marboulette

Thanks for the link marboulette. I also think the logic behind not shaving a husky is questionable. I’m going to ask the opinion of a few vets and do a bit more research.

He’s a great dog. It’s funny watching my older dog and him with each other. My older dog is currently growling at him and not letting him out of one corner of the living room. So far the husky (his name is Xiao Lang-“Little Wolf”) is taking a submissive role.

You may want to have him checked for a chip. He may just be lost. You can try to teach the “come” command while he is on the leash, then graduate to off leash.

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]My friend just found a Husky puppy. I think I am going to keep him. He is about 7 months old by my guess.

He is really cute. I feel bad for him in this heat. It pisses me off that locals can’t step outside of their selfish (Oh husky’s are so ke-ai) mentality and realize they shouldn’t live in this climate.[/quote]

send him to a cold weather country.

I grew up in Canada with a husky and it hated the summer and all the ‘hot’ weather (and this was in freakin CANADA!).

No offence to anyone who has a husky in Taiwan, but you are basically a selfish prick putting your dog through misery.

there I said it, flame away.

If you do wish to consider Canada, find me a passenger travelling to Toronto willing to take him and one more dog and I’ll sort out a home for him there.