How to deal with annoying neighbors

Yes, he can report it , and they can provide a way to monitor the noise , however , the noise has to be over a certain level and for a certain amount of time. It also depends on whether he lives in a residential zone, or factory zone. Additionally over 10pm at night has a lower legally allowed sound level than after 10pm. Slamming doors is a hard one to prove as it is intermittent. If he was playing loud music consistently that’s a pretty easy one to deal with. There is a hotline number for noise pollution or there used to be one.

2 Likes

I once lived near a wildly active temple in a C shaped apartment block where people held hours-long conversations in the courtyard loudly as though they were standing on on opposite sides of a mountain valley. Kids would be running around screaming from 7 am to 1 am some nights and a gang of scooter punks frequently took pit stops outside revving their 50cc engines in unison.

And yet, the one time I played music at 5/10 on the stereo, someone called the cops. :joy: :roll_eyes: :hear_no_evil:

5 Likes

I can relate to this so much lol

1 Like

Sounds like Morse code. Too mafan. Just use the “telephone”! :phone: :toilet:

If you’re not a big confrontation kind of guy. Leave him a note and maybe a nice neighborly gift like some baked goods asking him kindly to be mindful when closing the door.

1 Like

First contact!

hahaha actually he actually does that with the other neighbor more (the one living across my room) they hit the wall as a form to talk to each other until the female one gets mad and she’d scream. lol

I’ve been thinking about doing it tbh… just don’t know if giving food as a gift/ kind gesture is a good idea… a Taiwanese friend of mine once told me she’d feel skeptical if it’s from a neighbor who she never talked to

1 Like

Yeah I wouldn’t reward asshole behaviour with a gift.

1 Like

Bake him a beautiful layered cake, with almond and little chocolate shavings, and cover it with new season strawberries.

On the top, in blood red icing, write “Shut the fuck up.”

2 Likes

I think just a note is ok. It worked for me.

2 Likes

This guy sounds like a piece of work. I’d make sure to look for him every time he slammed the doors. But possibly not at the exact same time, like the next morning , early , wake up the fucker. Every time he does it get on his case as mentioned earlier.

My upstairs neighbours, couple with baby, have been arguing a lot recently. I just feel sorry for them more than anything.

3 Likes

I think, before you wage war with your neighbor, you should at least try to communicate with him normally. If he doesn’t respond and continues to slam doors, all bets are off.

2 Likes

We had a guy in the same alley who was running a really old squeaky washing machine, at all hours of the night. It was generally about 2am that he liked to do his washing. Anyway someone went to the lizhang and we got a note from his office on the front door of our apartment block, someone had assumed it was the foreigners. He was actually in another block, which I presume didn’t get the notice, and the sound continued for another 6 months after that.

What I’d like to know is how to snitch out my neighbors for not properly paying the trash person for their services. When the kid knocked on my door to take my payment and give me my receipt for the last three months, he asked me if anyone lived in the place across from me as they haven’t paid for over a year. I was like yeah, a whole three fuckin’ generations lives in that house, and I don’t think the grandparents ever leave to do anything but buy groceries, so they must be going out of their way to ignore him when he rings the doorbell. Total bullshit. They can definitely afford a dinky fee for the person handling their garbage.

3 Likes

I had a guy who parked his motorcycle outside my bathroom window that would just rev it for a few minutes and not even ride it.

I’m really curious about this. Did you not know you were being loud then were extra careful after being told?
Or were you knowingly slamming doors?

If I were to guess. Many of the doors here have one door that is metal. I can see it sounding really loud at night when it’s quiet if you just closing it with any moderate force.

I have a neighbor across from me, some bipolar woman who is always screaming at her 12 year old daughter. Like multiple times a day for long periods up to half an hour. I wouldn’t say it’s annoying as in I don’t hear it at night when I’m sleeping, but it’s concerning as it seems as if abuse and the seeds of future trauma and issues is occurring daily across the hall from me.

The c-word always wears a mask of niceness and smiles at me and my wife when we encounter her in the elevator. And the daughter always looks withdrawn. But we know what’s happening. Don’t know what we should do or whether we should get involved.