How to deal with autism/aspergers

I am getting really frustrated.

I have been trying to explain myself to people around me because I keep having trouble with interpersonal interactions, particularly when it comes to employment.

What pisses me off is despite the fact that I have been saying over and over again that my mind is completely different than everyone else, they act like they have all the answers. And when I don’t do what they say or tell them what they tells me to do won’t work for me, because I don’t think like them, they get mad at me and say that I am stubborn, selfish, or whatever.

How can I get across to people that I AM NOT TRYING TO ACT WEIRD, this is how I am? I even show them resources regarding autism, and they ignore that and still expect me to behave like a neurotypical people. And when I can’t (because you know, I simply can’t) they get mad at me and don’t want to talk to me or even lift a finger to help.

Are they doing this because they have something against anyone who is different? When people just straight up ghost me, or becomes unresponsive it makes me think that I can’t trust them or anyone else. Or should I blame myself for not being able to become neurotypical because you know, they are the majority and I’m not?

1 Like

Have you ever been clinically diagnosed?

Might you just have adult ADHD?

No, of course not, but it is on you to learn some resiliency skills to help yourself in dealing with…er…yourself.

4 Likes

What is the difference between adult ADHD and autism?

My parents did admit that I was clinically diagnosed. But they chose to deny it and do nothing.

Yeah, you don’t strike me as autistic. I’m a real teacher and we get tons of training for this kind of stuff.

Take a look at adult adhd and see what clicks. For me, a chronic lack of organization sticks right out. It’s a pain in the ass. You should see my desk. :doh:

Here:
Adult ADHD symptoms may include:

• Impulsiveness
  • Disorganization and problems prioritizing
  • Poor time management skills
  • Problems focusing on a task
  • Trouble multitasking
  • Excessive activity or restlessness
  • Poor planning
  • Low frustration tolerance
  • Frequent mood swings
  • Problems following through and completing tasks
  • Hot temper
  • Trouble coping with stress
1 Like

I don’t think you can diagnose him through an online forum. Remember, it’s a very fluid spectrum. There’s many high functioning people with autism out there, and sometimes there won’t be much to distinguish them from neurotypical people, especially if they’re just typing online posts and you can’t notice signs like avoidant eye contact, repetitive behavior or other visual clues.

3 Likes

What makes you think I am not autistic?

I always avoided eye contact as a kid. I had to be coached by my parents (which comes with great mental anguish). If I stop trying to make eye contact I will not make them.

1 Like

I do tons of online coursework here guitarguy, and it helps not only understand the kids but myself as well. If you have trauma or are around it (I’m in both categories) it’s good to know how to build resilience strategies.

One course is free. I just did it last week. Like six hours. But very interesting.

https://starr.org/product-category/courses/

1 Like

My gut.

1 Like

I take his word over your gut.

1 Like

Go ahead. I’m trying to help. What are you doing?

@Taiwan_Luthiers

Go to a hospital and apply to take a DSM5 assessment. It’ll tell you definitively whether you have ASD or another social communicative disorder. Asking opinionated strangers on an online forum probably won’t provide you with any answers about what’s troubling you inside.

That’s the thing.

I went to a hospital and asked the doctor for an assessment and he simply dismissed me outright. Will not even run an assessment because “his gut” tells him I am not autistic. But he simply says if you think you are autistic, then you’re not.

I most certainly did not diagnose him online. I said, from my 20 plus years of teaching and dozens of hours of professional development and talks with social works, nurses, doctors and sped teachers, he didn’t strike me as autistic. I’ve never met an autistic person who was hung up on being autistic. :idunno:

1 Like

That’s total bullshit. Go to another doctor. You’re entitled to take the test if you want.

2 Likes

Go with that. I don’t want a dr who takes all day to help me. One with experience will know what’s what right away.

What makes you believe you are autistic aside from it’s what mom and dad told you?

2 Likes

I was also clinically diagnosed with Aspergers at 14 years old. My parents also chose to deny it and do nothing.
I started to get Adult ADD symptoms around 17 and got diagnosed at 21.

I found seeing a shrink useless for autism, but invaluable for ADD. Getting a prescription for stimulant medications helped me so much. Unfortunately stronger medications are not available in Taiwan.

Other people are unlikely to understand autism unless they either spend a lot of time with you or have previously spent a lot of time with another autist. You can’t convey it to them quickly, it takes a lot of time.

3 Likes

I get the impression of Taiwan’s capabilities with dealing with mental health to be somewhat low with doctors telling depressed people to ‘just get more exercise’ as a final solution to mental issues. I wish I could suggest more options.

3 Likes

So what I need is, where can I get a DSM 5 assessment in Taiwan?

Would an official diagnosis of autism/Asperger’s really help your situation as it relates to your interactions with other people?

My admittedly somewhat limited experience in Taiwan is that these sort of things aren’t as accepted here as they are in the West. I suspect that some (many?) people wouldn’t know how to react to being told that a person has a mental or neurodevelopmental disorder and some might even react in less than helpful ways.

What is your overall aim?

4 Likes