How to end Romanization disagreements forever

Just translate the Chinese into English. This is done for alot of places already (NTU Hospital, Taipei Main, Convention Center, etc)

This will prevent the endless zhongzheng, chongcheng, jhongjheng, pig disgusting spellings going around.

It would also maybe influence people not to use nonsensical characters just for the sound.

After I get some feedback I hope to submit a formal proposal to various gov’t agencies.

So we are going to have a Middle Mountain Rd through every town in Taiwan? :laughing:

Sorry but your idea is not sound. Non-Taiwanese travellers and residents want to be able to say the name of streets as they are said by the locals.

Mayor Ma tried an equally non-sensical scheme years back where he gave numbers to all the major roads. No one ever used that system.

SYS Road

[quote=“California”]Just translate the Chinese into English. This is done for alot of places already (NTU Hospital, Taipei Main, Convention Center, etc)

This will prevent the endless zhongzheng, chongcheng, Zhongzheng, pig disgusting spellings going around.

It would also maybe influence people not to use nonsensical characters just for the sound.

After I get some feedback I hope to submit a formal proposal to various gov’t agencies.[/quote]

Inspired!! :astonished: Okay then, exactly how would you translate 中正 into English?

[quote=“monkey”][quote=“California”]Just translate the Chinese into English. This is done for alot of places already (NTU Hospital, Taipei Main, Convention Center, etc)

This will prevent the endless zhongzheng, chongcheng, Zhongzheng, pig disgusting spellings going around.

After I get some feedback I hope to submit a formal proposal to various gov’t agencies.[/quote]

Inspired!! :astonished: Okay then, exactly how would you translate 中正 into English?[/quote]

Chiang Kai-shek

[quote=“California”][quote=“monkey”][quote=“California”]Just translate the Chinese into English. This is done for alot of places already (NTU Hospital, Taipei Main, Convention Center, etc)

Inspired!! :astonished: Okay then, exactly how would you translate 中正 into English?[/quote]

Chiang Kai-shek[/quote]

That doesn’t look like English to me. That looks like another form of Romanization.

For the love of God:

Don’t give them any more weird ideas!

Think of us poor translators, please. Don’t make our lives harder than they already are. :cry:

[quote=“California”]

Please, please find something else to do with your time. Your idea is the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard. I live on 明湖路 in New Bamboo. Do you really think local taxi drivers have good enough English skills to understand “Brilliant Lake Road”? :loco:

How to end Romanization disagreements forever?

Use the
standard Pinyin
NOT the Wade-Giles style!

In fact, (I always forget this), it has already been adapted in Taiwan for 3 years!

So the problem has already ‘been solved.’

It must be done in AMERICAN ENGLISH :America: …to make any sense.

[quote=“trubadour”]How to end Romanization disagreements forever?

Use the
standard Pinyin
NOT the Wade-Giles style!

In fact, (I always forget this), it has already been adapted in Taiwan for 3 years!

So the problem has already ‘been solved.’[/quote]

Yep thats why we got Tamsui, Kinmen, etc DPP was threatening to switch it out of Hanyu Pinyin if they got into power, the future of Hanyu Pinyin is unstable in Taiwan. A permanent solution is needed.

I’ll be working on a draft letter in English first, then have it translated and cleaned up. I’ll post the English first draft here though for points and opinions.

REALLLLL brilliant idea.

So should I meet you at the corner of Luminous Loyalty Street? OH, or how about the Bridge of Filial Piety Road? Oh now, my bad, we should meet at Warrior of Purity Alley :loco: :doh:

So, the other day I made a trip across town from Fairview to Southport. After that I had to go all the way up to Freshwater. From there, I walked south to Mangrove. Then I took the MRT to Westgate.

So far, so good eh?

Then I had to shop as Sogo, so I took the MRT to Loyalty-Filial Piety/Resurgence MRT station.

Now it’s a bit sillier.

it’s so dumb

they did it in Seoul - no one has any idea what you’re talking about - one ends up just going to the places with names they couldn’t translate!

For the love of God.

[b]
STANDARD

PINYIN
[/b]

Don’t come up with any other dumb ideas. Please.

[quote=“bumclouds”]For the love of God.

[b]
STANDARD

PINYIN
[/b]

Don’t come up with any other dumb ideas. Please.[/quote]
Amen.

:thumbsup:

[quote=“Chris”]So, the other day I made a trip across town from Fairview to Southport. After that I had to go all the way up to Freshwater. From there, I walked south to Mangrove. Then I took the MRT to Westgate.

So far, so good eh?

Then I had to shop as Sogo, so I took the MRT to Loyalty-Filial Piety/Resurgence MRT station.

Now it’s a bit sillier.[/quote]

You forget your hike with me today on Perfect Harmony Mountain in New Shop District.

Gotta get me some shoes in New Shop District soon.

[quote=“California”]Just translate the Chinese into English. This is done for alot of places already (NTU Hospital, Taipei Main, Convention Center, etc)

I’m not sure if you actually talk to anyone that isn’t a foreigner or near fluent in English but I would like fewer translations like you suggest. If I had a preference I would prefer to have the pinyin included where things have been translated into English. It would make it so much easier to actually communicate with most Taiwanese.

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“Chris”]So, the other day I made a trip across town from Fairview to Southport. After that I had to go all the way up to Freshwater. From there, I walked south to Mangrove. Then I took the MRT to Westgate.

So far, so good eh?

Now it’s a bit sillier.[/quote]

You forget your hike with me today on Perfect Harmony Mountain in New Shop District.[/quote]

Every time I hear something like this, reminds me of that Bond movie where the Hong Kong masseuse introduces herself as Endless Fountains of Desire or whatever. If it is mocked in a Bond movie, you know it is a bad idea.

However, as the OP is set on sending his letters, this is the kind of whacked plot that gets across the hierarchy or burocracy and eventually oozes down as a gongwen/edict from heavens to be implemeted as The Law. If that happens, I shall trace the OP’s IP and he will find himself a pissed off Latina and… let’s not spoil the ending. :fume: