How to Find a Non-Teaching Job?

[quote=“Charlie Jack”](Please note that the post below does not apply to every poster in this thread.)

Now, I know you’re all good guys, so I know that none of you guys could possibly mean to be saying, “Pull up the ladder, Jack, I’m inboard.” I know you don’t mean to be saying that at all, so it pains me to say this, but, you know, that’s kinda what it sounds like.

I see the ABT thing as a statement of fact, and I think that in Taiwan it might turn out to be a significant fact:

[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 4#p1191754](What is an ABC? - #3

[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 44#p832744](How selective are major chain schools for ABCs? - #4 by OKao

[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 88#p837088](How selective are major chain schools for ABCs? - #7 by mosa_krosa

[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 10#p844610](How selective are major chain schools for ABCs? - #12 by mosa_krosa

[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 72#p749472](Is Taichung abc/cbc friendly city for teaching? - #8 by ac_dropout

[quote]She got a job teaching English when we were in Taiwan but was fired because too many parents complained that a “Chinese person” was teaching their children English. Nevermind that my wife speaks English with a North American accent, speaks only basic Mandarin, knows very little about Chinese culture, and considers herself American. The ignorant parents wanted a white face, and she didn’t fit the mold.

And this was in Taipei. I question whether Taichung or any place in Taiwan at all is truly “friendly” to FBC English teachers.[/quote]
[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 27#p750527](Is Taichung abc/cbc friendly city for teaching? - #9 by Gao_Bohan

It’s not all gloom and doom:

[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … 95#p762495](Is Taichung abc/cbc friendly city for teaching? - #11 by OKao

There are other success stories, and not just in the English-teaching field. I certainly don’t want to discourage daoni from coming over here. There are potential advantages to being of Chinese/Taiwanese heritage. But do you guys honestly think that foreign-born Chinese status lacks significance–here?

Or is this maybe an esthetic thing? Is the term ABT unlovely, or something?[/quote]

Thanks for this post, Charlie Jack. I’ve read some of these threads and it can be like a mess of discouragement… Still, it’s good to know what I’m getting myself into. :stuck_out_tongue: