How to Find a Non-Teaching Job?

[quote=“daoni”][quote=“Charlie Jack”](Please note that the post below does not apply to every poster in this thread.)

Now, I know you’re all good guys, so I know that none of you guys could possibly mean to be saying, “Pull up the ladder, Jack, I’m inboard.” I know you don’t mean to be saying that at all, so it pains me to say this, but, you know, that’s kinda what it sounds like.

I see the ABT thing as a statement of fact, and I think that in Taiwan it might turn out to be a significant fact:

http://tw.forumosa.com/t/what-is-an-abc/60042/14

[quote]She got a job teaching English when we were in Taiwan but was fired because too many parents complained that a “Chinese person” was teaching their children English. Nevermind that my wife speaks English with a North American accent, speaks only basic Mandarin, knows very little about Chinese culture, and considers herself American. The ignorant parents wanted a white face, and she didn’t fit the mold.

And this was in Taipei. I question whether Taichung or any place in Taiwan at all is truly “friendly” to FBC English teachers.[/quote]

It’s not all gloom and doom:

There are other success stories, and not just in the English-teaching field. I certainly don’t want to discourage daoni from coming over here. There are potential advantages to being of Chinese/Taiwanese heritage. But do you guys honestly think that foreign-born Chinese status lacks significance–here?

Or is this maybe an esthetic thing? Is the term ABT unlovely, or something?[/quote]

Thanks for this post, Charlie Jack. I’ve read some of these threads and it can be like a mess of discouragement… Still, it’s good to know what I’m getting myself into. :p[/quote]

You’re welcome, but now I’m kind of sorry I posted it. I only meant to show that there are challenges, but I overshot the mark. :blush: Please wipe my post from your memory. I’m just a negative old buzzard. :laughing:

There really are success stories on the board, and elsewhere of course. I encountered some of them earlier today when I was searching the board for posts about the experiences of foreign-born Chinese/Taiwanese, but I didn’t use them because I was trying to make the point that it’s often challenging. Additionally, I’m pretty sure there are long-term posters on this board who are of Chinese/Taiwanese heritage and are successful at what they do. I think a lot of foreign-born Chinese/Taiwanese come over here and do quite well for themselves, and there’s every reason to believe you will, too.

Just in case you do become interested in teaching English, I’ve read on this board that some of the big school chains don’t discriminate. And of course there are other things to do besides teaching English.

Also, I ought to point out that a lot of people on this board know each other, and they’re a good crew, so I think you can get a lot of guidance and moral/emotional support from them.

All the best!