How to fit in with Taiwanese coworkers?

I left for a hefty pay raise. No more getting called a fake American. No more unpaid overtime. Meanwhile that company is still struggling to get new clients.

2 Likes

Leave and start your own company.

I’m also curious, TL! You’re working 12 hours a day, 6 days a week now? Wow, that’s too much.

Or did you just read about China’s 996 system?

Not working 996 now. But if my present employer would have me work 996, at the rate he pays me I should be making at least 120,000 a month.

People working 996 in china reportedly got paid huge bank.

I probably wouldn’t mind doing it for a couple of months…

Reportedly…

Ah, so it’s another hypothetical problem then.

If my grandma were a man, she’d be my granddad.

At least you got a job though. That’s something!

1 Like

The fact that the snippet you’ve quoted wasn’t even addressed to you.

1 Like

Funny that Taiwanese people don’t realize there is a third possibility: Nobody needs to change for anybody.

2 Likes

Do you get offended by that? I’m American and I think it’s a compliment when people call me a fake American. Definitely wouldn’t want to be seen as a real one.

1 Like

That phrase implies that I am trying to abandon Taiwan in favor of the US.

It’s not that they realize there isn’t a third possibility. It’s that they can’t accept people who are different.

We should test that theory. Soon.

I’ve always thought “fake American” implied you’re a real Taiwanese.

In any case, people don’t mean any offense when they say it. It’s just a funny way of saying non-white American.

1 Like

It’s old but on my personal opinion some taiwanese co worker’s think they are superior. They will bully you until you kneel to them. But heck who they think they are (God)? They will try to eliminate you out of the company as far as they could. So beware. Some Taiwanese co worker are very dangerous people. They don’t know that there is heaven and hell.

2 Likes

That’s not funny at all. Just ignorant on their part.

4 Likes

Yep! That’s what I thought.

1 Like

You don’t find it funny because you don’t get Taiwanese humor.

2 Likes

I think he got it quite well by pointing out the ignorance of them* implying all Americans are white and ones who aren’t are “fake”.

(* “them” = whoever finds the joke funny, not necessarily all Taiwanese.)

3 Likes

Why assume that? It’s enough that I get the ignorance part.

American = white

Black man = African American

Asian American = fake

Hahaha

For all its modern conveniences, Taiwanese have a shitkicker countryside mindset.

Hahahalolz

4 Likes

It is rude because it implies that only white people are real Americans.

1 Like