How to fit in with Taiwanese coworkers?

Really? I thought Taiwanese kept co-workers at arms length. They are seen as co-workers, not friends.

Who knows? I think my experiences are somewhat different.

I think many here just look for reasons to pick on those who are different.

I’m applying to move abroad as I don’t like the environment here at all.

1 Like

And I’ll never forget the comment by my manager that I’m a fake American.

1 Like

That’s Americans.

Nobody is asking you to get close to them. Just join them when they go out every once in a while. I’m sure they all have other non-work friends that they hang out with too.

I have the opposite problem. None of my coworkers seem to want to invite me to anything. :laughing:

They’re not looking for a reason. You already gave them a reason by choosing not to be associated with them after work. That’s seen as unfriendly, like you’re not even trying to pretend to like them.

I have my own life outside of work.

1 Like

I behave as I would with anyone. To date I think it’s worked.

2 Likes

I do my job and am polite to coworkers.

2 Likes

Wrong country.

In Asia, work is life. There is no life outside of work.

I’m there to do a job and get paid.

1 Like

Just think of your salary as compensation for not only the time you’re at the office, but also the time you should be spending with your coworkers after work. No need to spend too much time. I’m sure they don’t hang out every night or even every week.

What specific experience do you have of this? Work but no life?

2 Likes

The general manager said that i don’t talk to people enough. As a stagnant company he should be worried about increasing sales and bringing in new clients.

If you’re working 9am to 9pm, 6 days a week, you do not have time for life.

Unpaid overtime is expected for any office job.

Sometimes I wish there are more than 24 hours in a day or that there’s a way to sleep less.

There are three possibilities. Your general manager is a dick - which you can’t change. Or, you can change. Or, you leave.

Are you working those hours? 9am to 9pm?

1 Like

First time back in Taiwan I’ve been told “society will not change for you, you must change yourself to fit society”.

u should hold hands going to bathroom together, smoke with them and talk about stocks

1 Like