How to get 500 mbps home Internet

My home Internet is too slow. This building is like a dormitory so I asked the front desk reception and they said I have to go visit Chunghua Telecom to get faster Internet. But then I came to Chunghua Telecom and they say I can get maximum only 60 mbps because the type of residence is condo in school. That is very slow. How can I get 300 or 500 mbps Internet?

In a dorm you pretty much have to accept the available line.

5G might give you that speed, if the signal is good. Share your mobile internet to your PC.

By ‘share your mobile internet’ you mean to use the hot spot?

For more stable connection can share via cable.
e.g. Android can share internet over USB cable to a computer.

1 Like

I would think 60 mbps is fast enough for most people if you are not sharing that bandwith with anyone.

1 Like

Does it have Cable TV cables?

5g on a phone can never give you that speed the CPU cannot process it. When you do a speed test it is not from your phone it’s from one ISP to another. Not the same as say transfer a file from a phone to say an FTP server. Many people think oh I need when in reality even a 100mb genuine up down most people would never max out.

Yes I do have.

You mean using mobile 5G won’t give me the speed?

Try calling a cable ISP if there is no Fibre to the home service. I have the combo with Taiwan Mobile/Taiwan Broadband. They have the speeds. I think it’s like $1399. Double check with them.

It’s possible they meant as part of the current package your building purchased. You should ask again to see if you can open a brand new account under your own name that is separate and unrelated to the current package that your building has.

If that fails, you could try another ISP.

That’s quite slow if you’re steaming 4K content and want zero buffering. I think 200-300 is the minimum acceptable speed nowadays.

60m is about what you’d get with cable or whatever. I’ve used 100m for years and realistically it never gets about about 60m except for limited circumstances. But I don’t stream 4k or anything, just 1080p.

I don’t stream 4k. But a quick google says the minimum is 25 Mbps to stream 4k. I would still think 60 is plenty assuming it’s not being shared and it’s a solid connection.

Wrong.

1 Like

Is starlink available in Taiwan?

Musknet? No

Minimum 25, and ideally 200 if you don’t want to wait for the video to load and buffer.

OP already said he’s living in a dorm building with shared internet. Most internet service in Taiwan is shared, so that’s what I’m basing my numbers on.

For Taiwan

No, the data comes from and to the device in those speed tests. What you mean is, many servers out there can not provide those speeds for individual connections in many use cases.
But this is why good services use CDN Caching of Akamai and similar.

Torrent can max out my 300 up/down easily too.

1 Like

Yeah, no, that makes no sense at all. You think if you do a speedtest on 2g it’s going to show gb speed or something? On android, you can go into settings and see the data usage update when you do a speedtest, and it’s a non trivial amount on a fast connection.

Here’s the last mobile speed test I have on ookla:

Depends where you’re streaming from. A plex server with a high quality rip or your own content? Yea, maybe you need a lot of data. A highly compressed commercial service? Not so much (Netflix 4k tops out at something like 15mbps bit rate).

1 Like