How to get a Taiwan police certificate when overseas?!

I am currently overseas and need to get a Taiwan police certificate. I found this government website but it requires someone to go in-person with your original passport: 警察刑事紀錄證明書

Is there a way to do this online?

To the best of my knowledge no way of doing it online, but is possible to do it with a notarized copy of your passport and a notarized power of attorney. both documents need also to be authenticated by your local TW representative.
you can then send it to someone in Taiwan and they can do it for you.

In case you need power of attorney and don’t have anyone you can ask.

Last time I checked, you could send your application by mail, no POA necessary.

1 Like

Do you have a link for this?

I stupidly moved back to the UK without getting a police check done. I assumed that Taiwan, like the UK, allowed you to apply and post police checks online.

Bonus math challenge! :nerd_face: Compare the amount of USD you send them with the amount of TWD shown on the receipt they send back. :speak_no_evil:

3 Likes

Thank you yyy!

Er, I don’t suppose you know where to find the application form?! It doesn’t seem to be listed on that site.

1 Like

They hid it in a different menu.

https://english.police.gov.taipei/News_Content.aspx?n=6E3B031A363A0964&sms=5B794C46F3CDE718&s=9C6EC2F2F8C03672

3 Likes

Currently banging my head against a wall STILL trying to obtain this from overseas.

The UK Taiwanese embassy is being incredibly pedantic and insisting that a UK notary write a very specific note - saying that the passport scan is ‘authentic’ and/or ‘genuine’ - which, understandably, UK notaries are not insured to do. Dragging their feet and holding everything up. Typical.

It was actually a breeze obtaining an overseas check from China.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Can’t understand why your local solicitor cannot certify a copy of you passport. I have had both mine & my wife’s done in the past 12 months to open various accounts.
I took it in, they scanned it and certified it with their form of words and it was signed by the lawyer on duty.

All of this has already been done - scanned, signed, stamped by the notary, verified and certified by the FCDO, but somehow this is inadmissible by the Taiwanese embassy without a single line of specifically worded writing. Ridiculous.

Well I got my police certificate but I needed someone in Taiwan to personally apply for it and then mail to me.

Well, I finally bloody did it. Obtained the stupid piece of paper and it ‘only’ took about 8 months and 3 attempts to do so! It was made incredibly difficult by the fact that the Taiwan Representative Office London kept declining my notarized passport scan due to wording but were cagey about what wording they would actually accept. Took trial-and-error and many, many emails to finally ascertain what was needed.

For others in my predicament, here’s what I had to do:

1. Go to a notary. They will need to stamp the passport scan with an official seal, date it and write

“I certify this is a true copy of the authentic passport of NAME issued by the COUNTRY government”

The TRO London WILL NOT accept any other wording other than substituting ‘true’ for ‘genuine.’

1. Get notarized scan authenticated by the Foreign Commonwealth Development Office (or similar body in your country).

2. Send notarized and authenticated scan to TRO London. At present, they only accepted bank transfers or postal orders. Make payment first, confirm by email, then post. Make sure you enclose document, copies of emails sent to TRO, an application form and a pre-paid self addressed envelope.

Here’s where you can download an application form

1. Once you have the notarized, authenticated scan AND the TRO paper you can send it to Taiwan along with an application form, money, a self-addressed envelope and a print-out of the procedure for obtaining a check from overseas (I printed from their website.)

download an application form here

You’ll have to work out how many USD to enclose as it is the only form of currency they will accept. They do not have an email, only a contact number in Taiwan. I enclosed 10 USD for 3 copies. Make sure your signature is the same across all documents. You will need your ‘Chinese name’ - I found this on my old ARC.

1. Send via DHL (or a similar service) to

96 Yanping South Road
TAIPEI CITY
TAIPEI CITY

Phone number: 2381-8251
2381-7494

list of foreign overseas police services in Taiwan

1. Hope for the best. It took my about 3 weeks to receive my police check after posting to Taiwan. They did not use the self-addressed envelope. I did not pay for postage but also didn’t receive any change :laughing:

I am so glad I can finally close the door on this chapter of my life. Huge, huge thanks to @yyy and other Forumosans for the help.

5 Likes

Well how did you find a notary prepared to this? you said in your last post they are not insured to do.

It took a while to find a notary that was prepared, and insured, to do this. I had to ask them first and double-check they were okay to write it.

1 Like

I will need to get a Taiwanese police check while overseas but as a NWOHR that does not have their TARC on hand.

This is the information on the Police Department’s website which is obviously incorrect as NWOHR do not have ‘Alien Resident Certificates’

Should a copy of my ROC passport and my old ARC both authenticated by TECO be enough?
I might have a duplicate print out of my TARC as well that I could get authenticated

Do you just put USD cash in the envelope?

1. R.O.C. nationals without registered permanent residence in Taiwan area, citizens of China, Hong Kong, or Macau: An original Alien Resident Certificate or related documents issued by the National Immigration Agency, Ministry of the Interior.

https://eli.npa.gov.tw/E7WebO/qa.jsp

The instructions seem pretty clear on their website:

Except, for your case, replace “ARC” with “TARC”, obviously.

I don’t have a TARC.

And those instructions relate to foreigners not citizens.

Oh I thought you said you had a copy that was already authenticated by TECO. They need to authenticate the real thing, so you might be out of luck. You could call and ask them if your passport is sufficient.

Why would the instructions for citizens be any different? Just replace “ARC” with “TARC” or “National ID”, whatever the case may be. What other document could they possibly need from you?

…. They are for everything else, why not police checks?

I’m only concerned because passports are not listed as an acceptable ID document for citizens applying

From the application form:

、臺灣地區無戶籍國民、大陸地區人民及香港澳門居民:
中華民國臺灣地區居留證或內政部移民署核發之其他
相關證件正本,驗畢歸還