How to get custody of my child?

Hello everyone,

I am new here, I don’t usually turn to forums for help, but I REALLY need some. I’ve been spending a lot of sleepless nights trying to figure out my situation. I’m hoping someone can help.

I’m a foreigner married to a Taiwanese man. My husband is truly awful. We’re I to file for divorce, he would meet almost all of the criteria needed for me to file in court. I do have some proof of these things, and can get more, but we, at this time, are still married because I do not want to do anything before I know exactly what I need to do, how to do it, and what lawyers are the best in this situation.

I am scared to pull the trigger on this because we have a young child and I have read and heard the worst horror stories on this forum. I am the child’s primary caretaker. My husband has no money at all, no job, has huge amounts of debt, and does not give me money at all for our child. He visits once weekly when he is not living with his girlfriend (which he thinks I don’t know about), and before was living outside of the home entirely and only contacted our child when I made contact. He is also verbally abusive to me and my son and can go into violent rages at the drop of a pin. You get the picture, he isn’t a great guy.

I live with my husband’s family, and before our marriage deteriorated, we planned to move back to my home country. His family members are now informing me that he does not want to go back and he wants my son. He is scared I will take him back to my country and not return, so he said he would refuse to sign any consent forms for me to even visit my country with my child.

I am currently on a JFRV, which I am considering turning into an APRC.

I have spoken to a lawyer who advised me to flee due to his nefarious underworld connections, but I won’t because I’m not just going to run away with my kid, that is unfair and not legal.

I need advice. I need to know which lawyers are good, and who I need to contact. Money is no object, I just want to ensure custody of my child, and have lawyers that know how to deal with this situation, what evidence I should be collecting, and etc. Being the mother, I hope for custody, but I am under no illusions having read the stories here about foreign spouses and custody battles. That is why I’ve turned to you to try to help myself before I start down this messy and awful road.

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks.

1 Like

Number one, do not flee. That is bad advice.

As said before, do not sign anything, hide away your passports and money. Know that you cannot rely on any kind of support from your husband.

If you have an income, you already have a fighting chance. Gather evidence of abuse and mistreatment… carefully. Bills you pay, stuff you do around the house, document those.

Do not let the kid out of your sight. The family or the husband can take him away from daycare or school.

Seek shelter and advice with a reputable organization, like Garden of Hope or women organizations. Gather allies, friends who can be your witnesses and your support.

5 Likes

I think the standard advice is to get your APRC before you even think about signing anything. It won’t lessen the pain but it will give you more options in the future if you wish to be in Taiwan.

Guy

5 Likes

Thank you for your advice.

I do believe I am a bit different to most others with this topic here because my husbands family is very aware of the situation. They have seen it with their own eyes and are very unhappy with him, some are even trying to help me convince him to go back to my country. They have been incredibly supportive, but at the end of the day, I am not their family, he is, and they will always side with him. They also want what is in my child’s best interest.

I will try to contact the places you have listed. Do you happen to know of any good attorneys?

1 Like

I’ll post @Marco 's lawyer here. They’re fluent in English and can give you advice on what to do next.
Tell them Marco sent you.

4 Likes

Thank you very much, I will be contacting them.

2 Likes

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Suggest you try Themis Attorneys-at-law.

They specialize in family law and have plenty of experience with international divorce and custody cases.

Good luck!

5 Likes