How to Get NWOHR Passport By Descent From Grandparents

Would it be possible for me to get a NWOHR Passport?
My grandfather was born in 1938 when ROC controlled mainland. As the communists took over, he escaped to Hong Kong by train without a passport. My father, like Ma Ying-jeou, was born in Hong Kong. Since then, he immigrated to America and gave birth to me after 1980.

I read on the [Taiwan Passport wiki] (Taiwan passport - Wikipedia) that my grandfather seems to be eligible for a Taiwan passport: “The person first obtained proof of ROC nationality before 1949, when the ROC controlled the Mainland Area.” Would a notarized birth certificate (he was born at home) suffice as proof of ROC nationality? By this chain of NWOHR descent, could I get a Taiwan Passport?

It was certainly possible before 2002. Nowadays however I haven’t been able to find a definitive answer. There’s lots of overseas Chinese in a situation similar to ours with an ancestor from the mainland before 1949, but lacking an ROC passport or other government issued documents. Technically we should be considered ROC nationals, we just lack the proof

Ah, so there’s nothing we can do unless 1) the law (though unlikely) will allow overseas Chinese to get a ROC passport again or 2) we find ROC proof of nationality. Unfortunately, I don’t think I will have a pathway to a NWOHR passport by descent.