How to get Taiwan Citizenship - Primer, FAQ, and Resources

1. Go to NIA. Ask official date according to them, which is the only valid one/leaves out guesswork/and yes, mistakes can happen.

This is the first step before anything else.

1. Probably but better ask NIA, who decides yes/no.

Naturalization is handled by Ministry of Interior through Household Registration office.

4 Likes

Yep, not an immigrant anymore at that point haha

2 Likes

Yes a lot of foreigners writing blogs on foreigners who vote in Taiwan, or foreigners with Taiwan passports and ID. Canā€™t quite get it through their thick skulls someone who naturalizes isnā€™t a foreigner anymore. Iā€™d say not being born here Iā€™m still an immigrant.
Just a naturalized immigrant.

Some people who come up my way have commented on just how I really am just another local in my village life. Absorbed into my local society, a true member of the borg.

5 Likes

NIA would be the one keeping entry/exit records, which determine the number of days/time spent on this Island that count towards APRC or nationality or whether you pay full fare for taxes or not.

For any of those things what counts is what the Government thinks/says you have, not what you think you have.

1 Like

MOI can access your entry and exit records for your time spent in Taiwan. I was never required to submit entry and exit records for my naturalization nor when getting my ID card from HH. That is because MOI sends a registered letter to the HH Office where you get your ID and to you as the person now advised to go get your ID card.

Has nothing to do with NIA.

1 Like

At the end of the day, HHO and NIA r both agencies under the MOI.

Can an NWOHR get a č‡ŗ胞證 though? Otherwise how does an NWOHR without another passport enter the PRC?

Taiwanese can theoretically be refused entry and refused a č‡ŗ胞證. They can get kicked out (deported) as well. There is no right of abode.

In theory yes, in reality, you will not get the same access to services like a ā€˜regularā€™ PRC citizen (i.e. mainland Chinese).

1 Like

With one of these that you need to apply for from a China embassy or consulate.

3 Likes

Oh wow, I didnā€™t know NWOHRs were eligible for a PRC travel document, or even considered PRC nationals in the first place.

Thanks for this.

Oh yes, do you happen to have a HK entry permit in the travel document? Or else how do you enter HK (or Macau for that matter)?

China claims that Taiwan is part of China so technically we are PRC nationals. For HK and Macau I am not sure as I only went there after I had my Taiwan HHR and ID card.

1 Like

Iā€™m applying for this as a NWOHR at the moment.

In Australia, the Chinese consulates also need you to provide proof of permanent residency in Australia which is usually easy.
In my case itā€™s hard because Iā€™m the holder of an Australian ex-citizen visa which canā€™t be verified by VEVO, is not attached to a passport or travel
document, and the Chinese consulate probably havenā€™t come across it before. But is a permanent resident visa.

This led to follow up questions
ā€˜Why did you renounce Australian citizenship?ā€™ Which is irrelevant and none of their business.

It reminded me a lot of dealing with the Taiwanese government to be honest. Virtually identical.

Iā€™m lucky that I deal with someone at work who has connections with the Chinese consulate so she is helping me knock some sense into them.

Never underestimate the power of 關äæ‚

Iā€™m still awaiting a response

Also for Hong Kong can you can use the travel document to apply for an entry permit but Iā€™m not 100% sure of the process and Iā€™m not sure about Macau

2 Likes

@justintaiwan Wow good luck, when my daughter (who holds australian passport) was refused a chinese visa as her mother is chinese and not technically settled in Australia at time of birth. The chinese embassy in canberra requested a video call and checked out my daughter then quickly issued travel documentā€¦ felt like they were verifying how much chinese/han she was. Side note china requires my daughter to enter on chinese travel document, yet hong kong allowed her to enter hong kong on aussie passport.

2 Likes

They make up the rules as they go, just like Taiwan.

Iā€™m sure if I looked Chinese then they would have just told me how to apply for the travel document without any fuss.

Iā€™ve already threatened them with a complaint to the Taiwan Affairs Office

1 Like

LOVE THISSSSS. LETā€™S MAKE A FUSS WITH COMMIES TOO HSHHAAHHA

3 Likes

I think theyā€™re asking in a round about way and without admitting it that they want proof I can return to Australia after a trip to China. But they wonā€™t admit that because that would be admitting that Iā€™m not really a Chinese citizen.

My current Australian visa does not allow re-entry into Australia if I leave. I could apply for a reentry visa but thatā€™s an extra $475 Iā€™d have to fork out. Iā€™d rather spend that money on my Australian passport when my resumption has been approved.

Think Iā€™m gonna give up on this one, was mostly document collecting but I would actually like to visit China in the next year or so. Chinese visas are a pain in the assā€¦ letā€™s see if issue me a visa or a travel document when that time comes

2 Likes

This is the way.

4 Likes