How to get Taiwan Citizenship - Primer, FAQ, and Resources

With a NWOHR status, can we get the NWOHR passport, while we are on TARC? I think the passport would be sufficient proof for me to apply for my renunciation.

I don’t know how a TARC looks, but if it looks like a regular ARC, I don’t think they’ll accept it (unless it clearly says I am naturalized).

I will try to confirm with the authorities. I will post my experience here once I submit my application next month. I am just waiting on my daughter’s “Single/Unmarried certificate”. She is only 6 months, but MOI (ministry of interior) wouldn’t exempt her on this requirement. I already butted heads with them but ultimately failed to convince them. So we are currently working on getting that document.

PS. Has anyone here done an “accompanying naturalization” for a child before ?

yes, you can get the NWOHR passport. Iirc, HHR office first give you a certificate of permit for naturalization or something like that, and you bring it to NIA to get a TARC. You apply for passport at BOCA with the TARC.

1 Like

A foreign country’s passport isn’t enough to prove to your home country that you have another nationality, you need a citizenship/nationality certificate. But, you need to hand the ROC naturalisation certificate in when you apply for your TARC and then NWHOR passport, meaning you won’t have the naturalisation certificate to show your home country’s government if you go through this process before renouncing.
And what about people who hold dual Taiwan and another country’s citizenship who need to renounce the other country’s citizenship for some reason, eg holding a public office where dual citizenship is not allowed?
What document do you get to prove to your home country that you are holding ROC nationality? Most countries won’t allow you to renounce their citizenship without this as a measure against statelessness (the USA being one notable exception).
Simply apply for this document from HRO: https://www.ris.gov.tw/documents/data/2/1/b78aff8f-b715-4402-972a-16a615b983d8.pdf

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s exactly what I was looking for.
“Certificate of Nationality of ROC”. That should do it!

Hi there! From Kaohsiung saying hi!..

so may I ask, at the end, is it possible for Nicaraguans to renounce their citizenship? is it possible to do it without living Taiwan?

:open_mouth:

First check with your embassy whether that’s even possible, some countries doesn’t allow their citizens to renounce their nationalities and by showing a letter indicating the same you’ll be able to retain your Nica citizenship while getting a new one.

1 Like

Ah chocho pues no estoy segura.

I think it can be done without leaving. Just remember you have to remain in Taiwan for one year if the paperwork is approved.

1 Like

Probably, we all won’t be able to leave Taiwan for one year anyway…

Don’t jinx us!

How to get citizenship the way you don’t lose your original nationality:

Study cuckoo people and write a thesis.

is there a way to get Taiwan citizenship without going to military service before the age of 36?

Yep, this is a good time to apply.

1 Like

Only if you have a medical condition. You could try to apply to alternative service if you have the required skills. Otherwise, it is only what 6 months?

2 Likes

Already answered in this thread. Just get Taiwan National Passport and TARC. Do not change to Household registration and you cannot be drafted if at military age.

2 Likes

This is so wrong. I do not know why you write this as this already answered in this thread.
You do not have to remain in Taiwan for one year. If you decide to travel it just takes longer to get your ID card. two years if you travel and spend 183 days a year in Taiwan. There is no restriction on leaving Taiwan with a TARC.

4 Likes

You mean that phony “passport”? How did that work out for @Brianjones ?

Guy

2 Likes

Yeah that same “phony” passport and tarc I had lol

He could have traveled on his passport and tarc. Many have he just choose not to. However without ID some countries will require you get a visa. Not difficult to do. For EU get a Schengen visa valid for 12 months. He refused to do that is all. None of my business he gave up citizenship over needing a visa or two. Best thing for him really if that is the reason not to. I needed visa’s for some countries even with my Taiwan ID. No big deal.

He got 12 months to renounce so had many months he could have traveled on his non Taiwan passport. Easily could have arranged any visa’s for travel in Taiwan passport during that time. Being unwilling to do so he gave up citizenship. A wise choice for him.

1 Like

Apply for Permanent Resident Certificate Of R.O.C.
(Applicants are required to acquire Resident Certificate and reside in Taiwan continuously for at least one year from the day of naturalization; or for two years of at least 270 days each year;
or for five years of at least183 days each year)

Just to clarify (probably already answered here)

1. where to find the day of naturalization, when will the count starts
  2. If I exit Taiwan e.g. for a week, within the 365 days requirement, I need to wait for another year (270 days per year in 2 years) to apply for PRC?

at first, I thought that it will only be adjusted depending on how long you stayed out of Taiwan.

1. The countdown will start according to the date of issue of your Resident Certificate (officially known as the TARC{Taiwan Area Resident Certificate}).
  1. Yes! If you’re planning on getting your ID after a year of continous residence on your TARC, you cannot leave Taiwan even for a minute. If you do leave, then you will need to stay for 2 years with at least 270 days/yr.
1 Like