How to get Taiwanese ID card (over 20, in Taiwan)

My mom is a Taiwanese national by birth, but she lost her documents around 30 years ago. Now that she has just finally gotten around to replacing her Taiwanese passport (she is in the USA), I’d like to go about getting myself a Taiwanese ID Card.

I wasn’t eligible for the stimulus vouchers Taiwan has issued recently… but in the event that another one comes around, I’d like to get them this time.

I understand that the first step is to get a Taiwanese passport. All the resources I could find describe how to get a passport at TECO in the US. But can the passport be obtained while I’m in Taiwan? Being that I’m currently here on an ARC (with an American passport), will I need to exit Taiwan and re-enter using the new passport?

Unless you are a naturalized Taiwanese in Taiwan, the first passport for a NWOHR passport should be applied at TECO. Iiuc.

Iirc, it could be done by mail, though you should go out to change your status.

FYI

https://www.boca.gov.tw/np-1-1.html

1 Like

Best to ask TECO, especially during this difficult time.

1 Like

Hi Caspian,
I just went through the process. If under 20, you can apply for a 定居證 ding ju zheng which is like a residency permit? It doubles as your entry permit, and using that after you’ve entered Taiwan on it, you can exchange via paperwork for ID and then get passport after - no need to get a passport without an ID number before. I believe you can apply abroad and in Taiwan. Feel free to ask for more details - TECO didn’t say anything about this (they all said passport first) and I found it in a Chinese guide written online.
If over 20, this is a good guide. Not sure if you can still go the 定居證process. How I became a Taiwanese citizen, part 1 – Tiff tastes on the world – A traveler and eater focused on the hyper-local

1 Like

I just remembered that conscription is compulsory. I’m 35, and don’t mind serving. But my one question is – can I lose my job if I take a year off? I’m a teacher, and I’m assuming that my school won’t want to accommodate me with a partial year contract.

I heard something about conscription being shorter for parents with two or more kids, but I lost the info and can’t seem to find it. Not sure if it’s true. If I could squeeze my service into this summer (assuming they don’t cancel it due to covid), that would be perfect.

Here:

1 Like

your obligation of conscription starts from 1 year after you get your hukou. usually you get hukou at least 1 year after you get your TARC. If you don’t have TARC now, by the time when you could be a subject of conscription, you will be already too old.

4 Likes

Thank you to everyone who has replied!

Oh, I see. In that case, I’ll start working on getting citizenship and not worry about this. Thank you!

2 Likes