How to get to Jiufen without a car or scooter?

Found this in a search, but this is kind of important to me and I need info quickly:

[quote=“grayson”][quote=“citizen k”]Jiufen, just past Keelung (Jilong) (Jilong). Took two visitors yesterday and they thought it was great. Old gold mining town on the side of a hill over-looking the ocean. Lots of tea houses, a bustling market and a great temple at the top of the hill. Heard there’s a bus you can take from somewhere on Zhongxiao E. Rd that will take you there, but definitely better by car.

Good luck,
CK[/quote]

ZhongXiao E. Rd and Fuxing S. Rd. Take the bus. I tried the train route before but to my dismay I found out that unless you book the ticket a week in advance you arent guaranteed a seat. At least with the bus, you’re sure to get a seat. It’s about an hour ride.[/quote]

I want to know:

What is the bus number? How often does it leave?
Also, Ho early is too early to go there, how late is too late?

Also, is the train really that much trouble? Thanks to anyone who can help me so very, very, much!

There’s a bus that you can take to Jiufen from the bus stop outside Exit 1 of the Zhongxiao-Fuxing MRT station. Alternatively, you can catch it at the Adventist Hospital bus stop on Bade (south side), halfway between Fuixing and Dunhua.

The bus has no number. It’s simply the Taipei-Jiufen-Jinguashi bus.

There is a great trick to getting a seat on the train and it works:

Take your ticket in your hand and eye it continuously as you walk the aisles scanning seats for seat numbers. Give the impression that you are looking for the seat you have booked and paid for. Look a little confused, as you want to carry on this charade for a few carriages at least, and keep looking at the faces in the seats in a slightly questioning manner.

Soon you will hit a face who looks a little embarrassed. You have a catch; they did not book this seat. Stand in front of them, eye the ticket (concealed from their view), check the seat number and look at the person sitting there. They will apologise and stand up, leaving an empty seat or two for you and your friend.

Take a seat and make yourself comfy … and pray that the person who really has booked that seat doesn’t show up soon, especially if the ones originally in the seats are still within view. :smiley:

Straydog, that’s outrageous! Bad, bad man! :noway:

Thanks for the bus info, I’m feeling a day trip coming on.

[quote=“trebuchet”]What is the bus number? How often does it leave?
Also, Ho early is too early to go there, how late is too late?[/quote]
It’s very frequent (15-20 minutes). As Chris mentioned it doesn’t have a number. No idea at what time the service starts from Taipei but I think the last bus from Jiufen leaves around 9pm (not 100% sure).

The train is no trouble at all, but you will find that the bus picking you up in Ruifang is actually the same bus coming from Taipei. If it’s crowded you will have to stand, which is no fun going up the road to Jiufen.

My advise: take the bus from the Zhongxiao-Fuxing station so you get a seat, else you may not be allowed on the bus or you have to stand (not sure if that’s allowed all the way from Taipei since the bus goes on the freeway).

When I went by train, there was no problem getting a seat on a Saturday morning. Train to Ruifang, then I took a taxi the rest of the way (NT$200), because the bus was too crowded.

There’s also a bus from Keelung - it starts from Keelung bus station which is across the road from the train station.

there is a difference between juifang and juiFen . Ray FAng is a sleepy town with nothing of interest that i know of. Its accessible from Keelung Train Station , bus every 20 minutes or so. But juiFen pronounced GIO FEN is a different town and is where the tea houses are and is high up. Thats on the way to Gin Gua Shih. I think the same bus goes from Gio Fen onwards to Gin Gua Shih. I cant type the chinese, im sure someone else on this forum can. YOu could get there by taxi from GILONG train station for a few hundred nt. Its probably bout 30mins drive from Gilong. There are probalby buses from Ray Fang (Juifang) to Gin Gua Shih that stop at Jui Fen (Gio Fen) too.

Every bus from Ruifang to Jinguashi stops at Jiufen first. At Ruifang train station you can get a bus pass for the day (NT100) that gives you four rides (one to Jinguashi, one to Juifen, one back to Ruifang and a bonus) and entrance to the gold park in Jinguashi.

BTW, Jinguashi is far more interesting and beautiful than Jiufen.

Agree, definetely worth a visit. If time permits I suggest to go to Jinguashi first, then stop at Jiufen on the way back.