How to get to Turtle Island

I searched a bit for info on how to do the Turtle Island trip but came up with nuthin I needed. A phone number to the boat operator that goes there, and/or whatever government agency it is I have to get a permit from, and/or whatever related incidental that comes up etc. would be cool. If it turns out that somebody has the info and there actually is no “how to get to turtle island” thread I’ll start one. Must be a lot a people wanting to know how to get there.

Thanks.

it’s not the same as the trip to orang-utan island, I know that much.

You can pay a fisherman in Daxi or Yilan to take you (under the table, so to speak).

Another way is to row yourself in a canoe, or ask Bubba2Guns to ferry you across on a stand-up paddle board.

Some people swim, but that’s a bit extreme.

I don’t want to go under the table, I want to go to turtle island. :unamused:

Call Jiǎn xiǎojiě at 09-8027-0259 and she’ll sort you out. I have no idea if she speaks English.

Am going to take the boat in a couple of days and will report back on the whatever seems in need of being reported upon.

There was a bunch of wrangling around today with calls to the English Tourism office and all that. At least one person suggested paying a fisherman in Daxi, like urodacus mentioned above.

The regular boat is a NT$1,000 and leaves from Wūshí Gǎng. Take the train to Tóuchén and then a taxi to Wūshí Gǎng. From what I can gather there is only two boats a day (at least during the week,) one at some ghastly time like 9 a.m. or something and the other at 1 p.m… I’d phone ahead before intending to get on any small cruise boat in Taiwan though. They seem to go on a “when there are enough customers” basis.

I made it to Turtle Island. The lady mentioned above was terrific. Captain boat spent a lot of time looking for dolphins and whales which would have been cool had we found dolphins and whales but actually all we saw was flying fish (still cool). I would have spent time bobbing around the cliff face at turtle island. Would have been fun in a smaller boat as the swell pushed up from that tropical depression was big enough.

Anyway, the whole thing was cool.

Did you set foot on Turtle Island?

If YOU tell ME how to post pictures I’ll tell YOU whether or not I set foot on turtle island. How’s that?

I thought it was [image]link[/image]

No?

Thanks.

[[color=#800040]Moderator’s note: See How to post photos.[/color]]

Here goes…

Thanks guys.

Oh, no I didn’t set foot on the island. Kind of glad too because it was HOT out there. Really, really HOT. Hot, hot. Not cool at all. I mean…

Oh…

The new boat from Yilan to Japan goes to wei1shan1 dao3.

Does that mean anything to anybody? Is that the place with the under water pyramids?

You can paddle out with me next time Bob. It’s kind of like pushing a skateboard up a hill with a sledge hammer. If I told you I saw any dolphins I’d be lying but plenty of people have seen them.
Plenty of sea snakes and jelly fish.

[quote=“bob”]The new boat from Yilan to Japan goes to wei1shan1 dao3.
Does that mean anything to anybody? Is that the place with the under water pyramids?[/quote]

More information here: Boat from Yilan to one of those little Japanese islands