How to get your APRC (yet again?)

Thanks, Feiren. I found your post here:
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 333#416333](Linda given the boot

I’m unaware of any lapse of my ARC; I don’t believe that will be an issue. And I have a monthly income higher than the $35k you cite. So it sounds like I should go ahead and begin the application process!

(Quick, someone burst my bubble before I get started!) :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Thanks, Feiren. I found your post here:
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 333#416333](Linda given the boot

I’m unaware of any lapse of my ARC; I don’t believe that will be an issue. And I have a monthly income higher than the $35k you cite. So it sounds like I should go ahead and begin the application process! [/quote]

Good luck to you. You may have a lapse if you have ever been in Taiwan on a Visitor’s Visa between ARCs or if you have ever changed from a student ARC to an employment ARC. But this can be appealed, so get cracking.

Nope. I’ve been on work visas since end Oct., 1994, with nary a lapse.

Thanks again!

You may face another potential problem–the ambigious two year rule. Hartzell (I think)says this rule means that you can apply two years after the death of a spouse or some other change in you status. But some police stations seem to think this means that you have two years to apply from the date you qualified. In other words, you would have become eligible to apply sometime in 2001 and ineligible sometime in 2003. The wording of the law does suggest that this is the case, but the provision is inexplicable to me unless Hartzell is right. I think this point can be contested, but it may be an issue. Anyway, apply and see what they say.

The expired passport is an issue according to the Taipei NPA people I have spoken to. The reason for that is because it can cause an in-between ARC situation. Can this be appealed? Probably, but that’s not an ideal answer to deal with a poorly written law. YMMV depending on jurisdiction.

The text of the law and the legislative intent is perfectly clear. The way it’s read is the problem. Anyway the expired passport is a new one on me, but not surprising. They don’t want to give these out, and the chosen line of attack is the residency requirement. The need for an International Resident’s Association is once again underlined.

If you can’t prove the 35 a month, what’s the total for assets. I seem to remember it was 5M or something, but can’t find that info again.

Anyone know?

Brian

When I went to renew my ARC they only gave it to me for 6 months or so because my passport was going to expire (I hadn’t noticed). So I gave the passport to AIT, got a new one in 2 weeks, took it back to the For. Affairs Police, and all they did was stamp the new passport number on the back of my ARC and stamp a new expiry date, giving me a full year.

Is there any “in-between ARC situation” here? My understanding is that at no point did I not have a valid ARC, so I don’t think there’s a problem. Your reading? Thanks!

When I went to renew my ARC they only gave it to me for 6 months or so because my passport was going to expire (I hadn’t noticed). So I gave the passport to AIT, got a new one in 2 weeks, took it back to the For. Affairs Police, and all they did was stamp the new passport number on the back of my ARC and stamp a new expiry date, giving me a full year.

Is there any “in-between ARC situation” here? My understanding is that at no point did I not have a valid ARC, so I don’t think there’s a problem. Your reading? Thanks![/quote]

Can’t hazard a guess without actually seeing what the chops and stamps were on both the old and new passport. The best route for you is to take it to the Taipei City NPA office and ask them for a reading/interpretation on it based on a future APRC application.

Thanks, will do! :notworthy:

I was wondering: Is it possible to do an APRC aplication at your local county offices or do you have to go to Taipei?

Thanx!

The For. Affairs Police printed a record of my entries & exits out, and despite seeing that I had it on 2 passports, and said there was no problem; there was sufficient continuous presence here to qualify. They did not appear concerned that my 11 years exceeds the aforementioned ‘window’, either. They also said that a monthly salary in the upper 30’s was adequate, and advised me to go ahead and begin the application process, which I am doing. Thanks again to all above for your kind advice!

[quote=“grootkrokodil”]I was wondering: Is it possible to do an APRC aplication at your local county offices or do you have to go to Taipei?

Thanks![/quote]

Yes. Just go to your local foreign affairs police. Michael

Hey, WTF happened to my post? All but the first sentence has been deleted…