How to get your APRC (yet again?)

I know this is probably already out there 50 times, but anyway here’s my version of How to get your APRC. If you’re eligible, it’s well worth it, by the way!

1. Call up the foreign affairs police (wai2 shi2 jing3 cha2 ju2) and schedule an interview for your permanent residence visa (yong2 jiu2 ju1 liu2 zheng4). Make sure it

But not as clearly as you have laid it out here. Excellent post Vay.

If you’re married to a Taiwanese, do you think it’s still worth it. I’ve yet to hear of any real beneifts that I don’t have already. Am I missing something?

Brian

If your wife dies, you are not guaranteed you can stay if you are only on an ARC. There’s provisions for them to consider letting you stay on after that, but it isn’t guaranteed. Also if you get divorced you may have problems. The APRC is better insurance that a change in circumstances won’t force you to leave.

If my wife dies, or I get divorced, there’s nothing stopping me getting the APRC then right?

Brian

If my wife dies, or I get divorced, there’s nothing stopping me getting the APRC then right?

Brian

Brian

Getting an APRC is a long complicated process that may involve leaving the country to get your CCRD. Do you want to worry about going through all that crap in the middle of planning a funeral or going through a divorce? Do you want to worry about your ARC being cancelled or some paperwork problem coming up in the application process? Seems to me like a lot to worry about all at the same time.

I don’t qualify for an APRC yet, but when I do I plan to get one quickly so I don’t need to worry about those sorts of things.

I wouldn’t want to test it. Get the APRC–if they ever rationalize their citizenship requirements, APRC holders will be at the front of the line.

Hmmm, I probably will get my APRC if I ever meet the financial requirements.

The only thing I’m worried about is hte possible downside.

As a ‘foreign spouse’ I am (theoretically) allowed to work without a work permit, so long as I am on a JFRV. I’d lose that right if I got the APRC. Or do APRC holders have completely open work rights too?

Brian

It was my understanding that you marriage visa guys still have to do a health checkup every three years… That’s not such a bad idea, I guess, but anyway we don’t HAVE to do that.

Regarding work, technically we still need a work permit, but supposedly we can apply for an “open work permit” from the Lao Dong Ju. I’ll try to get more info on this aspect…

I did some research into this. The relevant law is the Employment Services Act article 48 as amended on May 16, 2003. You can find the ESA in Chinese: evta.gov.tw/english/lawevta. … wevta1.htm

Article 48 says that people who do not require a work permit include “one who marries a national of the R.O.C. with domestic residence and a permit to reside.” The Chinese version says “在中華民國境內設有戶籍之國民結婚,且獲准居留者,不須申請許可” which sounds like basically the same thing. Neither one specifies that an ARC is needed, and to my mind both an ARC and an APRC are a “permit to reside”. Of course how this is interpreted in individual cases is the big question. I wouldn’t rule out someone trying to claim that an APRC is different, but the law does not say that.

Article 51 specifies that APRC holders can apply for an open work permit/personal permit.

They did not require this at my last renewal. Besides, the health checkup was pretty basic and not worth it to me for the amount charged. The clinic down the street does a much more thorough checkup for a lot less. The health checkup is mainly looking for serious infectuous illnesses, drug use or (for females) pregnancy.

I got my APRC this past summer. I did it based on the “seven years of consecutive living in Taiwan with an ARC at least 183 days per year” plan. I am not married to a Taiwanese. The process was long and tedious, not necessarily because the rules are unlcear, but because Chinese people make a career of making thing unclear in order to create loopholes in not helping you. Ohterwise, the whole thing would have been much more streamlined. They told me twice during the process that I was wasting my time because I was not qualified to apply for an APRC. Anyway, one day they had a different attitutde (as always seems to happen eventually), and I got it.

After I got my APRC, I went immediately down to the Council of Labor Affairs (CLA) to get an Open Work Permit (OWP), another card that goes in your wallet that you can whip out to any police officer that challenges your right to work at whatever you are doing (excluding special permits needed for work like teaching English or public performances). The OWP has no expiration of its own as it is tied to the validity of your APRC.

I also got a JFRV for my Thai wife, who then got a normal 3-year ARC based on our marriage … although this could be done if I had a regular ARC too. Note that even though I am a permant resident, because I am not an ROC citizen, my foreign wife cannot get work rights based on my status as a permanet resident. She can get a non-work ARC through me, but would still need to get a work permit for any work she does per employer. According to the ROC, my wife is qualifed only to be a housewife as married to me as a permanent resident.

Now, there is the rule that says you can loose your APRC if you do not stay in Taiwan at leasts 183 days per year starting the next year after you get your APRC. This sucks for people who do a lot of traveling for business in and out of Taiwan. There is a provision, however, that says you can let the National Police Administration know in advance if you will not meet this presence requirement. The NPA will grant up to TWO years at a time of a reprieve on this requirement depending on an acceptable excuse, like business, overseas study, taking care of eldery, etc. Just to cover my bases, I made a fancy application for the sake of “business” for 2005 and 2006. I got an official letter back from the NPA acknowledging my petition. So, I am good for these two years if I have some situation that takes me away from Taiwan for more than 183 days in either of these two years. I plan to apply again towards the end of 2006 for another two years … depending on the rules at that time.

Just rereading Vay’s post, I see nothionmg about the financial requirements. Are they still in place?

Brian

I’ve had an ARC for about 10 years I think. It used to be issued on my work permit, but since I’ve been married (4 years now) I’ve been on the JFRV and OWP. So, this time I go to renew my ARC I ask for 3 years as is the custom and the cops replied that I should just take one year since next year I can apply for an APRC. I don’t know why they now decide to mention this when I’ve been eligible to apply for one for a few years now, but whatever. :idunno:
Anyway, I just asked nicely for another 3 years on my ARC and said thanks but no thanks to the APRC. I jumped through so many burning hoops when I got married I don’t even want to think about the hassle of applying for this… unless there’s some solid benefit to be had. On the face of things it looks like a ruse to get 10k from you now rather than 1k every year…

So, the jury has been out long enough. Is the APRC actually worth the money and hassle it takes to get it? I need to be sold on this idea to motivate me to jump through the burning hoops all over again.

Not as much as a white guy ( being me ) turning up at the ROC Only counter waiving my ROC ID card & Taiwan Passport lol.

Citizenship costs a lot less also, it was about NT$2800 in fees.

But don’t you have to give up your home countries’ right of citizenship in order to get it? There’s always a catch.

I believe Satellite said elsewhere citizens of some countries can reclaim their citizenship of origin after obtaining ROC citizenship. Australians, Canadians and Brits can do this; Americans cannot.

The very thought of this makes it all worthwhile :slight_smile:

Not as much as a white guy ( being me ) turning up at the ROC Only counter waiving my ROC ID card & Taiwan Passport lol.

Citizenship costs a lot less also, it was about NT$2800 in fees.[/quote]

I’m still awaiting answer to this. Anyone? I’ve been in Taiwan for over 11 years, but do not have “huge assets”. Half the time was on one passport, which expired, then I got a new one. Other than that, there are no interruptions greater than 2 weeks or so in my continuous stay. I’m still single, with no criminal record. Is an APRC even remotely possible? I read through the whole APRC success story thread too, and didn’t see any figures on what “$$$” means; but from what I read there, it looks like 1) the passport expiry screws me, and 2) I’m not rich enough to qualify. As an American, I don’t want to give up my citizenship either.

Don’t sweat the assets issue. All you need to do is show that you’ve earned more than NT$35,000 or so a month for the last year or two and you will be fine. You can show assets OR a steady income.

The expired passport is not an issue. What is an issue is whether you meet the interpretation of seven consecutive years of legal residence. Long story short, they’ve come up with a tendentious interpretation of this that disaualifies many people. See the recent article in POTS for more or my post in the Linda Arrigo thread for more. Sorry I don’t have time to look them up for you right now.