How to handle money in a relationship

I pay 50% of everything and keep the rest of money far. No kids yet.

you pay 90% of money and do 90% of household labour, or 100% of money and 80% of labour, or what so ever. condolences for you. your wife is so lucky with such a nice husband.

2 Likes

Completely different situation.

I buy all the groceries and do all the cooking. And the washing up.

2 Likes

Her income comes from me lol

But she is an employee of your company. Different from the homemaker scenario we are talking about.

In reality she works maybe 5 hours a week in the office. Mostly at home. I pay all the bills. Then if she racks up too much on her credit card I give her money for that too hahahaha Plus she has family use card from my cards. Woe is me.

I got a great wife. She deserves it.

Does not seem a problem in my Native Japan and some in Taiwan that the wife controls ALL the money. In Japan, the wife mostly gets the full salary (from husband), pays bills and saves and give husband to go drinking after work (or other stuff). the stores here are not most Taiwanese end up, most have good households and take care money well. Most elders here in Taiwan and Japan seem ok money wise, so I think not such terrible system.

3 Likes

I agree. My mom basically took care of all the bills and expenses. A lot of husbands are busy with work, especially in Asian culture where upper management and executives work a lot. Handing money is part of the wife’s duty.

I think it really depends on the partner. There isn’t 1 system that works for everyone. And also depends on you. If you’re shit with money, it might be better if you let the other one manage it for the family.

6 Likes

Agree, everyone one and culture is different. For me having a pre marriage money agreement is not good, I would just live with girl/guy if that, but I also get others worry about it.

3 Likes

Well, for families where the other partner’s stay or financial situation is not dependent on the wedding might work, especially in a traditional setting.

Good luck with mixed couples or modern thinking though! Equality is both ways right?

Never lol

1 Like

I’ve heard a few horror stories where the (Taiwanese) wife unilaterally “invests” the savings in the share market, and ends up losing most of it.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t think it is all the money, it is just the money for the home. Regardless of gender, the person that earn the money, and is familiar with business is better equipped to manage investments.

ive heard similar stories of husbands that spent all the money on trips to Vegas, lottery tickets, drinking, sports cars…
making bad money choices is gender neutral.

5 Likes

for argument sake : I make 75% of our money, and manage it myself. my wife has no clue where it is.
i decide to leave my 50 year old homemaker wife and our 2 kids , and change my wife for a younger 30 year old woman. as far as i care, she can rejoin the work force at 50, after being homemaker for 15 years. I have provided for the family more than enough.

now imagine my wife is your sister, what advice would you give her?

2 Likes

Learn to code

Bad joke. I agree with you.

2 Likes

Completely agree.

Let’s say a husband only gives his wife 20% of their income “enough to cover the household, plus a little spending money”, as @tando puts it. The woman is laboring every day to keep the house clean and the kids fed, and works as long and as hard as the man.

The man might one day leave his wife and kids with his 80% in hand, leaving the wife with just the 20%, and kids to feed.

@tando Wouldn’t it make more sense for the woman to receive 50%, for security in case of such situations?

1 Like

first of all, I must have advised her to keep her financial ability.

at least some part of more than enough money should have been kept, and she must have known where it is.

at least she can check your records of tax, insurances, stocks, and bank accounts in Taiwan. Basically, she has right to help of them when divorce, unless it is registered in an other way. If your income is from overseas assets are all abroad, maybe not much she can do.

you can’t divorce her by this reason immediately, so while she could get living expense for her and 2 kids, if they are still minor, from you, she should find something she can do to earn money. if your want to divorce soon, she can negotiate the condition.

1 Like

the husband will say he labors every day to pay for the house, food, school, vacations etc.

the point is not 50/50 or 60/40 or whatever. the point is that divorce can come from both sides , and for every man wronged by his wife, we can find wife wronged by her man.

i would like to hope that the same way people have good intentions when they marry, they sbould have good intentions when they split, and not harm the other person.

2 Likes