How to Hitchhike without being coaxed into teaching English

Ok, with my experience in hitchhiking through Taiwan, I have noticed a dead give-away that someone wants you to teach them or their children English. It’s the question “How long will you stay in Taiwan?”. So, my advice to you…if you don’t want to spend the remainder of your ride lying about how you’ll be busy on Saturdays, and how “Oh, Sundays are bad for me too”, or “You know, your house is very far away”…always say you’re only staying for a few more days.

On the other hand, though, if you’re looking for some extra work, go out on the road and stick your thumb out. I’ve almost always been offered a private-tutoring job.

how often do you get picked up? waiting times etc.? i’m stacked with hours, but interested in this theory. might work for some newbies who need hours? safety issues?

do you wait for the benz/bmw to get higher rates :laughing:

[quote=“xtrain_01”]how often do you get picked up? waiting times etc.? I’m stacked with hours, but interested in this theory. might work for some newbies who need hours? safety issues?

do you wait for the benz/bmw to get higher rates :laughing:[/quote]

I can’t quite tell from your post if you’re being serious or not. If so, Taiwan is a hitch-hiker’s paradise compared to America. I’ve never waited more than 5 minutes for a ride…and I usually get taken out to lunch or loaded up with fruit from local vendors before the ride is over. As with most things Taiwanese, worrying about someone raping and/or robbing and/or murdering you is completely unnecassary. Traffic conditions, however, are another story all together.

Also, I never discriminate on rides…beggers can’t be choosers.

I wouldn’t take that for granted. Such things do happen.