How to keep my bicycle safe

Thank you for your answers.

However I am still really not sure where I am allowed to leave my bike for a couple of hours.
What happens if I lock my bike on poles, benches, or whatever that is not there for this purpose? Is it ok if I take a spot among the motorbikes? Am I allowed to leave my bike more than few minutes on the sidewalk?

Thank you

1 Like

If you are one of those people to doesn’t get screen protection for your phone then just leave it out there. If you stress a lot then bring it in, locks don’t stop the thieves.

Bikes getting stolen is not unheard of but this is Taiwan there are literally thousands of unlocked bikes on any given street. Guess Taiwanese bike thieves are really bad at their job.

I added some poll in the first post. Please vote!

Ha, same - it was even in one of those places where you pay a guard to watch it. He wanted my 10 mao even.

I left a halfway decent bike in Korea because I didn’t want to ship it - I used to actually leave it outside unlocked and finally had to actually put it in the recycling (Korean recycling in my neighborhood was better than most second-hand furniture shops) before it found a new home.

I was going to make a joke with you, but it may be too soon…
:wink:

I have seen some college students have Bicycle Identification Sticker

About parking , you can park bicycles in the same spot where you can park scooters (however this can be very annoying for scooter drivers who are looking for an empty parking spot )

If bicycle is not parked in the parking space. Is it possible to be fined NT$300-600

This article (Chinese) is talking about the problem that cyclists find looking for parking spots in the city
https://gearlabview.wordpress.com/2016/10/10/單車通勤者的無奈:停車問題該如何解決?/

References:

You give too much credit. A hack saw, even.just the blade, is more likely

OP. If you already know it is a bad idea to not lock it to something big and secure, start doing so or bring it in. expensive easy things to steal go missing often in taiwan.

Leave it in front of a camera as well. Cops will keep footage for at least a week and are pretty good at finding things if on video.

This seems like a taipei problem. Most of taiwan operate the same way as taipei. The around taiwan trip on bike will be a great way to experience that :slight_smile:

use some common sense. look where others park. you can park in quite a lot of places. on the pavement, road, ect. just watch out for some shopping malls or something that don’t allow it.
riding bikes and parking bikes in taipei is hella flexible.

So I finished my slow tour of Taiwan two weeks ago and the bicycle never got stolen :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes