How to Obtain a Death certificate for someone who died in the 1960's in Taipei?

Trying to find the death certificate of my grandmother, who died in Taipei in the 1960’s, do records even go that far back? And where should I go to try and find it? Has Taiwan as a whole centralized their system so that I can get a copy where I’m staying? (Taichung for instance). I don’t think the hospital is still standing so I’ve got to try a different authority.

Thank you!

Any Household Registration Office should have access to a digitized copy of that, which with their stamp will be enough to do whatever you want to do. The question is whether or not they’ll hand it over to you. They will probably need to see proof of relation, e.g. your parent’s birth certificate and your birth certificate, which proves lineage. If you are already in Taiwan just go to any office and ask, if not then make a call.

3 Likes

So it’s nation wide then? Like, if someone passed away in Tainan, you’d be able to pull it up from Taipei?

It’s from the 60’s after all, did they digitize everything already? It’s quite a long time ago.

It’s like that with birth certificates, so I’d imagine death certificates too. We’ve pulled relative’s birth records in New Taipei before even though they were born in the south like 60 years ago.

1 Like

yes, even Japanese era’s data digitized.

2 Likes

Seriously? That’s 1895!?!?!?

How to check the household registration information of relevant relatives during the Japanese colonial period or after the liberation?

2 Likes

Japanese were good at record keeping

1 Like

You can actually go to HHRO and get your ancestry details. They should give you as far back as they can

2 Likes

Oh, that’s interesting to note. What does that document look like?

on digitalization
https://www.chiayi.gov.tw/News_Content.aspx?n=455&s=346294

2 Likes

Super interesting, thanks