How to practice for the scooter test

Congrats, I plan on taking the road test in a week or two since they wouldn’t give me a motorcycle license even though I have a M License from Texas. I’m guessing you’re eligible to ride a scooter/motorcycle up to 249cc now?

You don’t have to do the test in Shilin. If you were practicing in YongHe you could have just dropped over to the Banchiao DMV.

1 Like

Yup, certified up to 250cc :slight_smile:

Good point, I wasn’t aware of that option because it’s in a different section when you select the testing site on www.mvdis.gov.tw. It turns out it’s an equally long schlep from 文山wénshān, Google Maps says 1h10m via public transit for both the 士林shìlín and 板橋bǎnqíao 監理站jiǎnlǐzhàn locations for me. So my complaint is still valid :slight_smile:

This is interesting, and seems to be accurate according to this list from last year…

While a Taiwanese driver’s license cannot be directly exchanged for a California one, according to this chart a person can drive in California with a Taiwanese license, and an IDP isn’t required.

If truly reciprocal that means those of us with California licenses should be able to drive cars in Taiwan, but not directly exchange or licenses. Hmmmm

1 Like

It does also state that this does not apply to ARC holders so they’re pulling the “residents should have Taiwanese driving licenses” bit. More nonsense, as a tourist or waiting for your ARC you’re perfectly legal to drive and yet somehow the moment you receive your ARC you’re considered not qualified! Utter nonsense, definitely contact your local representative in California if California is not enforcing the same “resident” rule.

3 Likes

Oh, OK, assumed your were using the practice area in YongHe as it was close to your workplace rather than using one closer to home in WenShan.

I hadn’t even noticed that. WTF?!

Yeah, gotcha, no worries. I was using the one in 永和 because it’s the closest result that came up when I searched for 機車考照練習場jīchē kǎozhào liànxí chǎng in Google Maps. But me-from-a-week-ago would be very keen to know if there is another practice site closer to 文山 :slightly_smiling_face:

Passed on my first try with their rented scooter and here’s my update on the scooter license experience. I went online the beginning of this week and registered for a scooter practical test since I already have a taiwanese car DL. I did my test in Dacun Township and once I arrived I went to the 3rd floor to give them my ARC and 1 inch photo. I had to sit through a 2 hour video/classroom session since it was my first time taking a scooter test (this is required for 1st timers and valid for 1 year). There were another 11 people there, mostly high school students. They showed a 45 minute video mostly showing scooter accidents and what can be avoided along with another 45 minute presentation. After that people with a car DL were allowed to go directly to the practical test while the rest had to take a exam. I rented a scooter for NTD21 and they specifically mention that there’s no practice allowed. Walked outside to the testing center and did the practical test, a bit sketchy on my part but I passed. I would say the most difficult section was the straight narrow line with a minimum of 7 seconds. Went back to the 3rd floor and waited for my name to be called to make my final payment and receive my scooter license.

Now my 1 year wait begins to get the heavy motorcycle license.

Cost:
*Registration NTD125
*Scooter Rental NTD21
*License Fee NTD200

Tips:

1. Make sure that everytime you’re at a stop, before you go forward again make sure to turn your head left and right.
  2. They only test on two turn signals. First one is when switching lanes, second was when making a left turn from the stop sign.
  3. On the first portion of the scooter practical test look ahead and not down at the narrow lane, it’ll help you balance better.
3 Likes

congrats on your new license, now you can start riding scooter and get familiar with the traffic ,

Also keep in mind the heavy motorcycle 大型重機 road test is different from the the normal scooter 普通機車 test , you will need to go to a driving school for almost a month and do the test there

References:

http://www.22518888.com.tw/

Is there a language choice in the heavy motorcycle course?

What’s the point of the 2 circles in the motorcycle test?

She should be banned outright from riding or operating any two wheeler ever…Imagine if she had done that on a busy street and then ramming that machine into pedestrians or worse, kids or toddlers! :rage:

1 Like

Maybe is something about keep balance and control speed of the motorcycle ?
In other countries also have these circles for Motorcycle Skills Test

1 Like

I think is all in Chinese , same as road test for normal scooters , just need to practice and follow all the road signs
For the written test , If you already have a normal scooter license then you shouldn’t do it again

https://www.mvdis.gov.tw/m3-emv-eng/public_en/about_02_01En

Fuck me. That’s why we have a test dude.

And she would somehow pass the test on her 5th or 6th attempt and then hop on that iron horse without any road skills or experience whatsoever and God forbid she causes an accident…I see so many inexperienced riders here on the streets everyday and wonder how they passed the driving test, most common examples being 1) Driving out of a side alley to turn right without first looking left to see if there’s any oncoming traffic…they just shoot out at speeds over 50kmph, without looking left, crossing over to the center of the main road and continue as if nothing happened. This actually happened to me this morning while I was riding to work!!! 2) Cutting past one or two lanes from the left to the right (to do the 待轉) without signalling and without looking at the rear view mirror or at the least, turning your head to the side to see if there’s any oncoming traffic or not 3) Rear view mirrors are just for show (to comb your hair, touch up your makeup) as I have noticed most riders don’t use them. Most are twisted or broken…it amazes me how most scooter drivers here can drive without this essential tool.

2 Likes

If you have a Taiwanese Driver license do you have to take the written test for above 51?