How to Read Chinese Websites More Easily on Google Chrome

Here is a little tip for people who go to Chinese websites often and find it tiring because they don’t know how to pronounce a lot of characters.

For a long time I used to copy text from Chinese websites, paste it to a Word document and then switched the Chinese font to one with phonetic symbols (Po Bo Mo Fo). I find reading much easier when I know how to pronounce the characters.

Only today it dawned on me that you can switch the font in Chrome as well. Should have thought about it years ago

Here’s how it’s done. (very easy)

Just install the add-on “force font”.
Then, click on the “A” in your list of add ons.
Check the “Enabled?” box and you can choose a font.
For Chinese characters with Po Bo Mo Fo attached (not always, but most of the time, accurate) I use the font “Han Wang Kai Medium Chu In”.
Just click on “Add” and past these Chinese characters: 王漢宗中楷體注音*
Pasting the English font name does not seem to work.

• I think you need to install the font also on your computer to make it work.

And voila, all Chinese characters now appear with Zhuyin Fuhao. The English letters are ugly, but who cares. You can disable the function any time you want to read English.

Works like charm. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

When it isn’t accurate, it is due to heterophone in Hanji. As a simple font, “Han Wang Kai Medium Chu In” isn’t trained to handle this. There are separate font files called

Han Wang Kai Medium Po In 1 王漢宗中楷體破音一
Han Wang Kai Medium Po In 2 王漢宗中楷體破音二
Han Wang Kai Medium Po In 3 王漢宗中楷體破音三

just to fill the gap. Still, that of course is nowhere near complete.

To do this accurately, someone need to use a neural network to parse and understand the context of the texts, and correctly output the right reading for the word, then use HTML’s Rubi markup to insert Rubi characters next to the characters.

Don’t really care about the times the font shows a wrong tone. Can’t make it perfect.

Thanks for sharing that!

Thanks.

On Mac, add-ons are called “extensions”. Found and added “force font”. No option to select font. I notice the extension hasn’t been updated since 2014.

Check “Enabled?”
Then add font
Then select font

“Extensions” is correct. Not sure why I wrote “Add-on”.

I thought I followed your instructions to the word, but it is not showing the bopomo characters :frowning:

Any ideas of what I might be doing wrong? It all looks exactly as described above, with the exception of no bopomo appearing

Oh, you might need to install that font on your computer first. Just realized that I have the font in my system.:grimacing:

1 Like

Oh sweet, its working now, thanks!

This is a great addition, alongside my previous walking stick: Chinese Perekun:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/perapera-chinese-popup-di/hlcddplhfenagbaipfjhhcjmebhkkaif?hl=en

1 Like

Just added Perapera to my growing list of extensions (19 so far) too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just added Perapera.

That is very handy, thanks.

I haven’t tried Perapera, but I’m using Zhongwen, which is also a chrome extension.

The translation, pinyin and tones show up in a pop-up when your mouse hovers a Chinese word. It also works in text box, in case your want to double check what you are writing.

Have anyone tried both for comparison?

I tried them both. They are pretty much identical as far as I can tell other than the color of the text box that pops up.

1 Like

I don’t have a mouse :crazy_face:

Just downloaded the extension but it’s not working as I don’t have the 王漢宗中楷體注音 font installed in my System? How do I go about downloading that font? I went to Settings—>Personalization—>Fonts and found this particular Font missing…Searching in the Microsoft Store didn’t yield any results either.Screenshot_1

Just Google for 王漢宗中楷體注音, download the font from a font download side and install it by double clicking on the downloaded font.

for example from:
http://www.xiazaiziti.com/6601.html

Thanks! Just downloaded and installed the font but it still doesn’t seem to be working…Am I missing something?
Screenshot_2

That should be it. Should change automatically once you added the font and checked “Enabled?”

Maybe try restarting Google Chrome and if that does not work, your computer?

Restarted Chrome and it works now…Thanks! Although the fonts became much smaller now…hard to read…had to zoom to 150% …Still works though :slight_smile:Screenshot_1

1 Like