How to Report a Scooter as Non-Working & How to Properly Dispose of It

Hi all… question is about how I can report my scooter as no longer functional. This is so I can stop paying taxes, insurance, etc. on it so the government knows it’s no longer functional and will not hold me accountable for any of that stuff any more.

The thing is that the scooter broke down in a district of a different county about an hour away so getting to it and then hauling it somewhere for disposal will be an ordeal. Just really not sure what to do about it. Also, I believe there are some outstanding parking and/or traffic tickets on it too. It’s honestly something I’ve been neglecting for over a year and now that I have some time, I’d like to take care of it and get it the hell out of my life. And the taxes for it have come due at the end of this month, so I really need to get on this as I’ve slacked off on this for far too long. Any advice on how to deal with this would be greatly appreciated. For the record, the vehicle in question is registered in Taipei City.

2 Likes

Take the plate off and take that to the DMV to cancel it. Have the scooter picked up by a scooter shop who can decide to use parts for spares. They may pay you a small amount of money for it.

1 Like

You can get more if you take it to a scrap yard yourself…

okay, do I really need to have the physical plates with me? A photo and ownership documents, etc. won’t work in this situation?

Also, I am afraid I may have to make an appearance at the Taipei Traffic Adjudication Office… not sure how that will go. Any heads up on how to deal with that? Again, because there are some outstanding parking/traffic tickets on the vehicle in question.

They want the physical plate because otherwise someone else could take the plate and put it on a stolen vehicle or something.

All traffic ticket must be paid to change or transfer your registration.

1 Like

Yes plates must be returned. Any outstanding tickets will also have to be settled.

Any DMV in Taipei? Is it a different office than traffic adjudication? Am I gonna have to make two stops?

Why don’t you pick up the phone and call the DMV and ask? I had an old scooter I lived in Chiayi and took the plates into DMV in Taichung as that’s was the scooters last location. Twas a long time ago.

How can I dispose my old vehicle?

The vehicle disposal process is divided as writing-off its registration and scraping body of vehicle:

1. Writing-Off Vehicle Registration Information: Please take off your motorcycle registration plate. Take it and the vehicle owner’s ID card, stamp and Vehicle registration to Motor Vehicles Offices to transact the write-off procedure.
  2. Tow and Scrap Vehicle Body: After finished write-off procedure in Motor Vehicles Offices, you may contact Environmental Protection Administration’s Recycling Free Hotline: 0800-085717, or find a legal recycle enterprise on EPA’s Recycle Website for recycling your vehicle.
  3. To avoid derivative problems, such as ghost vehicle, pieced-up vehicles, revival of an unregistered vehicle, and reforming stolen vehicle, EPA provides scrap vehicle recycling bonus to encourage citizens to tow and dispose their old vehicles. When your vehicle is towed, the recycle enterprise would ask for a copy of vehicle registration document, and give you “scrape motor vehicle recycling control form” for applying the bonus. Please fill up the control form, sign and attach copies of the vehicle owner’s ID card and the scraping or writing-off certificate issued by Motor Vehicles Offices, then mail them by registered post to EPA’s scrap vehicle recycling bonus mailbox (P.O.B. Taipei Post 3257). You will receive the bonus after 30 working days. For motorcycles, it is NTD 300.

Address: No.21, Sec.4, Bade Rd., Taipei, 105210, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
Tel: 886-2-2763-0155
服務時間:星期一至星期五/上午8時30分至下午17時30分
(車輛檢驗及新、重領牌中午暫停服務)
地址:105210 臺北市松山區八德路4段21號
服務電話:02-2763-0155 (本所承辦單位分機)
公路總局用路人服務專線:0800-231-035 (24小時免付費)

sources:
https://english.dep.gov.taipei/News_Content.aspx?n=504E7671B98A9930&sms=5B794C46F3CDE718&s=54404A92DADA8ABC

https://tpcmv.thb.gov.tw/en/

2 Likes

do you think the one in Shilin would work?

for the record, Shilin District DMV works for this kind of thing.

1 Like