How to shop on Taobao

Taobao offers a vast selection of products often at lower prices compared to local e-commerce platforms like Shopee. However, shopping on Taobao comes with its challenges, primarily because the website is in Chinese and international returns can be costly and complicated. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you navigate Taobao effectively.

Step 1: Download and Install the Taobao App: You can find it on the Google Play Store or the App Store.Bind Your Debit or Credit Card: Taobao allows you to link various debit or credit cards for payment. If you are a CTBC bank customer, it’s especially beneficial to bind your account with Taobao as CTBC offers a lower transaction fee of 1% compared to the usual 3% charged for other cards.

Step 2: Choose a Freight Forwarder: I recommend using Sufengda, which has a reliable Android app (check availability for iOS). You can download it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dqcfl.sufengda

Integration: Link the Sufengda app with your Taobao account to automatically sync your packages. This ensures all your purchases appear in the freight forwarder app.Select a Warehouse: Opt for the Zhangzhou warehouse to consolidate your packages. For consolidated packages weighing over 9kg, the delivery fee is approximately 35 NTD per kilogram, taxes included.Special Conditions: Note that certain items such as car parts, shoes, and home appliances may not be eligible for tax-inclusive rates. Food items might also have special shipping requirements.Customer Service: Sufengda offers excellent customer support, responding promptly to inquiries.

Step 3: DeliveryTiming: After ordering, it usually takes about 4 to 5 days for the packages to be delivered to your door, handled by HCT.

Additional Tips:Language Barrier: Since Taobao is in Chinese, consider using translation tools if you are not fluent in the language.Check Reviews: Always check product reviews before purchasing. They can provide valuable insights into the quality and authenticity of the products.Understand the Return Policy: Be aware of the return policies, as returning items to China can be both expensive and time-consuming.

1 Like

Is this AI generated?

You should note that Taobao is all in Chinese, so a foreigner will have to either understand it, or have it translated with an app. They may need to ask the seller questions which may be hard to do if you don’t speak Chinese. Not all Taobao listings are that cut and dry and often I’ve had to contact the seller quite a bit to make sure I’m getting the right stuff.

Note that EZ Way will be a challenge to deal with if you’re a foreigner because it’s a shit app for ARC numbers.

You are right about Chinese language struggles. I constantly take screenshots and translate them with Google. Most of product descriptions are in images. Talking with sellers with Google translate works fine for me. About EZ way you don’t need it because freight forwarder resolves tax for you. All you need to do is choose in app shipping with tax included. You pay tax to freight forwarder 5ntd per kilogram. Ofc as mentioned above some products like food or car parts can’t be imported paying tax per kilogram but 90% of stuff is taxed like that.

1 Like

No you still must go through EZ Way. They will pay the tax but you still must use it. Every one of my taobao shipment went through it. In fact they will ask you for your Taiwan ID number, and they may “crash” if you do not have one. I haven’t tried.

Depends on the items. Ideally, purchases can avoid the CCP and other platforms that state their source country outside China could be supported moreso. Obviously, depends on the product needed. Ideally, we don’t need to pay the nation that oppresses us, and our neighbours, as a basic standard.

Taobao is going to be China centric, by its very nature. Even if Taiwanese like to use them for the cut throat pricing and dog shit delivery (ask why).

Only difference when you buy product on Shopee is that you are paying Taiwanese middleman. Unless it’s food or some specific hand made stuff everything else is made in China. Well check Amazon too, it’s Taobao in English.

Luckily it’s still easy to find things not made in China. We never buy such things that, at least at the label level, state China. The very few times we cannot find an item not made in China (very rare) we can buy second hand easily enough and avoid funding our own oppression :slight_smile: