How to spot a psychopath

No. Context.

certain psychopathic traits have survived because they’re useful in small doses: the cool dispassion of a surgeon, the tunnel vision of an Olympic athlete, the ambitious narcissism of many a politician. But when these attributes exist in the wrong combination or in extreme forms, they can produce a dangerously antisocial individual, or even a cold-blooded killer.

6 Likes

It’s the complete opposite!

I was “friends” with a psychopath, as much as you can be friends with someone like that as it’s more of you using each other to get ahead knowing they can at any time stab you in the back.

Psychopaths are actually extremely charming and agreeable, up to the point where they are absolutely certain they have complete authority over you or the situation. Then, they will happily throw you off the roof just for kicks without a second thought.

The best tip I can give is watch out for anyone that suddenly seems to know everything about something you’re interested in.

Say you like watches, and suddenly you meet someone who knows every in and out of watches like they are passionate about them.

Truth if, psychopaths couldn’t care less about your interest, but they will read all about it in order to pretend like they do and to build rapport.

Again, this is just when the psychopath needs something. Once they have authority over you like they become your boss, unless you can further them somehow, all the niceties go out the window.

What do you think of Rolexes, @Rather?

4 Likes

I don’t see how it is the complete opposite.
We’re describing the same thing. Only I used fewer words that resulted in it sounding unclear.

Psychopaths are the type of people who have a complete disregard for others.

I meant other people’s feelings. They only care about themselves. And they don’t care that at the end of the day, they don’t really care about you in spite of how they may have led you on.

:laughing:
I was like “huh?” Then I saw the bit he wrote about watches.

tbh, it almost feels like you’re trying to identify him in real life. but if you’re the admin here(?), i guess you can already see everybody’s email?

1 Like

I understand. It’s one of those spectrum things.

Oh yeah, they have no empathy internally but you won’t pick up on it externally unless you know what you’re looking for, or you get a “gut” feeling.

Internally yes, they have no emotion, no shame, no consideration, but they will pretend to have those things while it benefits them.

I don’t give a f about watches or your hobbies, and I won’t pretend to care :laughing:

But honestly, it’s not a bad tip. It’s like when going for a job interview it would help if you read up all about a company, it’s management etc. Like say you found out the manager is big on volunteering or something you can volunteer also or mention it.

A psychopath will take it a step beyond that tho and will actually try to find where the manager volunteers and volunteer there with him. They will have no shame. They will grovel, beg and do whatever it takes until they have power.

I usually don’t care enough.

:+1:

Kidding aside, I don’t know, I feel like you’re generalizing a lot. Do you really have so much experience with psychopaths?

It’s one of those, ‘made up,’ things. Psychopathy is not a recognised disorder which can be diagnosed. Same as star signs. Same as personality types. Same as IQ tests. All made up nonsense.

1 Like

I believe I do. I was pretty “close” friends with one for years and I’ve read up about them a bit also out of curiousity.

The hardest part for people to grasp is that psychopaths have NO empathy, no emotions, for a regular person it just doesn’t compute, they try and justify it some other way which let’s the psychopath continue to do what they are doing.

That actually reminded me of another major tip, and that is that they will take a mental illness as an excuse when they might be called out on something they did.

Being bi-polar seems to be a favourite. A lot of people tend to accept it as an excuse for their behaviour.

You can say they do have a type of mental illness, which is psychopathy, but it won’t be any of the myriad of other things they will come up with.

1 Like

That piqued my interest. I’ll read more about it. From a very brief reading it seems psychopathy, or antisocial personality disorder (sounds so innocuous), is just a medicalised word to replace evil. Someone does bad things and is then diagnosed a psychopath because they did bad things.

Is that correct in your opinion?

1 Like

I think that psychopathy isn’t a formal diagnosis under the guidelines of the DSM. Unexplained/unwanted behaviours would be formally diagnosed as something else. “Psychpath,” is more of a popularist term to describe behaviours in others they can’t understand. “Look at that psycho.”
Also, the diagnosis of borderline/antisocial personality disorder is under review. It’s not a very nice label for an individual to have.

In the past psychologists and psychiatrists made up all these labels and terms to define behaviour. They then shoe horned in a lot of ‘evidence,’ to support their claims. Hence the modern situation where we have twenty (?) or whatever different types of psychopath. The label is meaningless.

1 Like