How to Write Complaints to Different Government Bodies in Taiwan Using AI Tools

Well, all the contacts and laws (besides thr NSL) in HK I remember always say that the English version prevails, just clearer and better to interpret.

The courts still very much work in English too, since all laws are written in English first (besides the NSL).

Even for police recruiting knowing good Chinese is technically not required, for inspector ranks English is the lingo (although popo in HK is not a shameful institution…)

1 Like

I didn’t mention before… but if the FSC lets you down… take it to the financial ombudsman. They have sharper teeth and can enforce the law.

3 Likes

Ftfy

I think most judges and attorneys would disagree quite vehemently with the original statement. :smirk:

2 Likes

u need to know some fancy words indeed.

Most of them from latin, so we dirty neolatin speakers speak fancier than u natives :laughing:

1 Like

Nah don’t translate these. It looks really obvious when ChatGPT writes in Chinese

Are you submitting things in Chinese or English? I’d like to submit a few complaints, but lack of knowing how to write Chinese is a big deterrent. And looks like they only respond in Chinese.

You can submit these in English. (Correction. Use Chinese by using chatgpt to translate)

They do respond in Chinese but google translate is good enough to read and understand them now.

2 Likes

all in chinese, thanks to chatgpt.

administrative appeals and appeals to the control and judicial yuan can only be accepted if lodged in Chinese, it is a clear statement in the administrative appeal act and all the act governing appeals with the control and judicial yuan.

My first administrative appeal against the FSC was outright rejected since it was in English.

5 Likes

Initial complaints to the FSC and MOI can be done in English (despite the law for the latter saying they need to be done in Chinese), as can follow-up messages. Both have answered my follow-up messages in English, but the actual responses seem to vary. The FSC is basically just acting as a mail forwarder so it depends on whether the financial enterprise chooses to respond in English or Chinese (I’ve had both), and the MOI responded to me last time in Chinese only.

Administrative appeals need to be submitted in Chinese (law here), and they’re strict about that. I’ve confirmed that with both the FSC and MOI.

I wrote my appeals in English and ChatGPT’d them into Chinese, then ChatGPT’d and Google Translated them back into English one section at a time to make sure they weren’t too garbled. I also got a Taiwanese friend to quickly check them last time, but I don’t like to hassle friends with this stuff too often.

ChatGPT seems to do an okay job, but I find you have to be careful to avoid overly long/complicated sentences and make sure that it doesn’t mess up the names of the laws, companies, and so on. If something looks too messed up in the translated version, I’d simplify the original sentence and ask ChatGPT to have another go. The prompts I used were something like this:

I need your help translating an administrative appeal from English to traditional Chinese (Taiwan). The appeal is directed at Taiwan’s Financial Supervisory Commission regarding its Banking Bureau. I would like to first define some guidelines for the translation and then provide the English version that should be translated. First, the guidelines:

• For the FSC case number, please use “系統案件編號112******號”.
  • Please do not change any of the quoted Chinese text already present in the English version.
  • For “Taishin Bank”, please use the full Chinese name and definition “台新國際商業銀行股份有限公司(下稱台新銀行)” the first time and then the short version “台新銀行” each time afterwards.
  • For “JKO”, please use the full Chinese name and definition “街口電子支付股份有限公司(下稱街口支付)” the first time and then the short version “街口支付” each time afterwards.
  • For “Banking Bureau”, please use the Chinese name “銀行局”.
  • For “Financial Supervisory Commission”, please use the Chinese name “金融監督管理委員會”.
  • For “Banking Bureau of the Financial Supervisory Commission”, please use the Chinese name “金融監督管理委員會銀行局”.
  • For “Financial Consumer Protection Act”, please use the Chinese name “金融消費者保護法”.
  • For “Administrative Appeal Act”, please use the Chinese name “訴願法”.
  • For “administrative appeal”, please use the Chinese name “訴願書”.
  • For “Organic Law of Banking Bureau, Financial Supervisory Commission”, please use the Chinese name “金融監督管理委員會組織法”.
  • For “Organic Act Governing the Establishment of the Financial Supervisory Commission”, please use the Chinese name “金融監督管理委員會銀行局組織法”.
  • For “FSC 2024 Policy Plan”, please use the Chinese name “金融監督管理委員會113年度施政計畫”.

The English version is as follows:
[complaint here]

2 Likes

I just write it in English and then ask chatgpt to translate to formal traditional Chinese. I found it gets quite right the law and regulations names.

The one it messed up for me previously was “Immigration Act”, where the result didn’t match the Chinese name. Some of the other English names above are also liable to being mistranslated if the Chinese name isn’t specified, so I think safer to check.

I do, it wrote it correctly the immigration act last time when I lifted the control yuan petition against the fsc