How to Write Complaints to Different Government Bodies in Taiwan Using AI Tools

In Taiwan, foreign residents may occasionally encounter issues related to financial services, telecommunications, and employment that warrant an official complaint. AI tools, such as ChatGPT, can be of great assistance in structuring these letters to ensure they are clear, concise, and convey the intended message effectively. Here’s how to utilize ChatGPT to address these common concerns:

Financial Supervisory Commission (FSC)

The FSC supervises financial markets and enterprises in Taiwan. If you, as a foreign resident with an Alien Permanent Resident Certificate (APRC), face discriminatory practices regarding credit cards or loans, such as the requirement of a Taiwanese guarantor, you can report this to the FSC.

Prompt for ChatGPT: “My name is [Your Name], and I need assistance in drafting a formal complaint to the Financial Supervisory Commission in Taiwan. I have experienced discriminatory practices related to acquiring a credit card/loan, where I was required to have a Taiwanese guarantor despite holding an APRC. I would like the letter to express my concerns, detail my experience, and request an official investigation into this matter.”

FSC Complaint Form

National Communications Commission (NCC)

The NCC regulates the telecommunications sector in Taiwan. If you face issues such as being required to deposit a large amount for a phone plan, you can lodge a complaint with the NCC.

Prompt for ChatGPT: “My name is [Your Name], and I need help in writing a complaint letter to the National Communications Commission in Taiwan. I visited the [Company Name] store at [Location] where I was asked to make a significant deposit to avail a phone plan, an action I perceive as discriminatory. The letter should detail my experience and request the NCC’s intervention.”

NCC Complaint Form

Ministry of Labor (MOL)

The MOL is responsible for labor standards and employment rights in Taiwan. If you’re facing issues with your employer, such as being made to work on a Saturday without overtime pay, you can lodge a complaint with the MOL.

Prompt for ChatGPT: “My name is [Your Name], and I need assistance in writing a complaint to the Ministry of Labor in Taiwan. My employer, [Company Name], has been making me work on Saturdays without providing the legally mandated overtime pay. I would like the letter to highlight this issue, provide relevant details, and seek the Ministry’s intervention.”

MOL Complaint Form

Remember, it’s important to provide as many relevant details as possible in your complaints to ensure a comprehensive review of your situation. Your effective use of AI tools like ChatGPT can significantly streamline this process and help ensure your concerns are accurately and clearly conveyed.

7 Likes

Why would this only be about APRC holders?

1 Like

It is not only about APRC holders. But ‘obviously’ by having an APRC it gives you a stronger case so if you have one you should mention it… if you don’t then don’t mention it

You could change the prompt to something like. “Despite being in Taiwan for X years” or “Despite having a Taiwanese child.” etc…

Those prompts will generate letters in English. Do you translate them or will they accept complaints in English?
If you add “use Traditional Chinese”, that will work. But I can’t judge if ChatGPT is using correct Chinese terms:

It is good to know where one can submit those complaints. Thanks!

2 Likes

I have sent all of my complaints in English and they work just fine.

@Mataiou and @justintaiwan have been doing the same

2 Likes

Or…having an ARC. We’re residents here too.

1 Like

You are classed as a “temporary” resident if you have an ARC.

Therefore it is normal for lenders to strongly take that into consideration.

Even when I worked in Australia it was difficult for me to get loans for temporary residents… but once they were “permanent” we could treat them the same.

Other factors “obviously” include how likely the temporary resident will become permanent like type of job and the salary, having family, owning a house. Any one of those could mean we treat a temporary resident the same as a permanent.

However, by simply having an ARC it is common sense that it is more likely you could skimp out on the loan so you need to provide other factors to build your case.

1 Like

Best to add “use Taiwan style Traditional Chinese”

4 Likes

agree, my colleagues in HK when we need to write to TW regulators/partners in formal Chinese and/or receive replies r always amazed by the difference in the style of Chinese used.

Many times they say: “we know all the characters, but not too sure what they mean used like this and in this order…”

2 Likes

My Chinese unfortunately is not proficient enough to make formal complaints with the level of specificity and correctness I need to make them work (working hard on that, but it takes looong time for formal bureacratic Chinese…)

Always wrote in English, even to private companies like telcos and banks.

2 Likes

Writing in formal Chinese is difficult even for native Chinese speakers. I see a future where many Taiwanese will write their complaints in English

1 Like

I initially misread it as applying to all of the points (banking, telecom, MOL) rather than just loans/credit, where I agree some evidence of ties might make more sense.

Nonetheless, there are foreigners who live here for multiple years on some kind of ARC, who are affected by these things despite not having/wanting/being eligible for an APRC. As a practical point, APRC holders are only a tiny minority (2-3%) of resident foreigners, so it seems easier to get wider support for this cause by including all of the people affected. If Taiwanese authorities/organizations choose to discriminate against the majority of resident foreigners and just throw a bone to APRC holders like that solves the problem, that’s one thing, but it seems counterproductive for us to be doing it while trying to complain about the issue.

1 Like

You will notice that APRC was only mentioned for loans. Even then it was only listed as an example.

Also nowhere did I ever mention that you need an APRC to complain.

Also if you have been here for many years and don’t have an APRC then just say “I have been a long term resident of X years.”

1 Like

And you will notice I wrote “I initially misread it as…”. It’s literally the first sentence of my post. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Because their native language is Cantonese, and for some educated Hong Kongers I suspect their mandarin Chinese , or Chinese in general, isn’t up to the standard of Taiwanese, because they probably used English in school as rhe primary language and now at work. They may have had little exposure to formal Mandarin. Also public contracts in Hong Kong often still use English.

1 Like

Well they would write in regular Chinese and AI will convert it to bureaucratic nonsense. An AI will receive it and convert it back for future civil servants to read.:slight_smile:

99% use English

1 Like

I was speaking to a family friend who is a lawyer. He was explaining how many lawyers actually refer to the English due to some characters and meanings being too abstract for even native speakers to understand.

With that in mind… I can see why in many countries that were previous colonies they still use English as a means to write laws and contracts

I believe they test your knowledge of classical/formal Chinese for civil service posts. Its a cultural thing here, a barrier I suppose.

It is and it means that the average joe can barely understand Taiwanese laws…

Us English speakers can easily interpret our laws by reading them. They are clearly defined. In Chinese… it is similar to English speakers reading ‘old English.’

Which can explain why a vast majority of Taiwanese are ignorant of their own laws…

2 Likes