How vocal are foreigners allowed to be when it comes to TW politics? (2023+ edition)

Over the years I’ve heard a few times that foreigners can’t protest or be involved in political campaigns, and although the following article does back up the claim that foreigners cannot be invited to participate in campaigns, I’m not so sure when it comes to protesting…

Article 50
Any political party or person may not conduct the following:

1. Be engaged in public campaign or electioneering activities before 7:00am or after 10:00pm every day during the period of campaign.
  2. Be engaged in campaign or electioneering activities on the polling day.
  3. Encumber the campaign of other political parties or candidates.
  4. Invite foreigners, the citizens of the People’s Republic of China, or the residents in Hong Kong and Macao to conduct the actions prescribed in the Subparagraphs of Article 43.

Essentially what I’d like to know most is are foreigners allowed to ‘take a side’ politically, and openly discuss their political opinions and views on Taiwan policy and parties publicly?

The only hard line I can recall being discussed is foreigners should not get on stage and speak at political rallies. Just how official that is, I don’t know – but I wouldn’t recommend testing it.

But go to protests? No problem.

Leading a protest might be another matter. I think there’s a thread about a foreign priest(?) who led a workers-rights protest, which led some politician to complain he’d violated the purpose of his visa. That was a long while back, though. I don’t think anything came of it.

1 Like