How was life in Taiwan during 90's?

I mean what was the context of your post? Why would you randomly post a photo of your old ARC?

Why do you assume it was randomly posted?

You posted the photo presumably without any background/context, otherwise she wouldnā€™t have mistaken you for an overstayer. Thatā€™s what I meant by ā€œrandomly postedā€.

Also, the way you described what happened was just weird. A random client of yours happened to visit the same internet forum you were in, and happened to see a post made by you, their contractor, which happened to contain a photo of your old ARC. It just seemed like there was more to this story, thatā€™s all.

No thatā€™s not what I wrote. She didnā€™t read anything on a forum. Anyway the upshot was she paid for a satellite system and after a few months decided she didnā€™t want it. I told her to sell it second hand, in fact I found a bar owner in Chiayi that wanted it but she would have to pay for the dish to be taken down. She didnā€™t like the idea of selling it for less than she paid demanded a full refund or she would make my life hell lol Anyway she decided to ask to see my ARC and I told her I didnā€™t have one anymore as it had been cancelled. So she assumed I was here illegally. I never told her why my ARC was cancelled. She did not know my Chinese name. So she complained to the FAP about me. The FAP also could not find me in their records in Chiayi City and Chiayi Countyā€¦ I wonder why lol

So they contacted me about a complaint I was here illegally and asked did I know the woman. I said sure I did she works at a kindergarten not far from their office. After the FAP confirmed I was here legally they were not amused. So they went to her Kindy one morning at 9am and caught her working illegally. Turned out the reason she didnā€™t want the satellite system anymore was because she had taken a teaching gig in another city.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s hilarious! Possibly the best Karen revenge story Iā€™ve read thus far. She got what she deserved. I knew there was more to this story!

1 Like

More to it. Her brother lived in Taipei and he started sending me death threats by email. What he didnā€™t knowā€¦ was that my wifeā€™s moms Tribal classmate from our village was the #2 in the FAP in Taiwan. I didnā€™t know that either. So we contact him send him the emails and contact number for the brother. He gets called in to see the him in FAP in Taipei. He had to leave Taiwan or be charged and possibly sent to prison. Turns out he was working on a visitor visa as well so his visa was also cancelled. Stupid woman cost her and her brother for no reason at all.

Itā€™s not the only time I have been reported on by foreigners about being here illegally?

1 Like

You should read this thread then
:smile:

1 Like

I canā€™t stand Nei Hu :rofl:
Might as well be in Singapore.

1 Like

Ratting here is normal unless youā€™re a gangster. Kids rat each other out in classrooms from a young age. I just guess some foreigners get into the ā€œwhen in Romeā€. I think they do it to try and get ahead of others by bringing others down. Iā€™d report sexual abuse against children but not much else. I reported some Taiwanese parents who kept their 10 year old child in a dog cage. And didnā€™t teach her even to read or write. She got a permently disfigured back from living in the cage. Generally I mind my own business but that was too much

6 Likes

For real. Sooo much has changed.

1 Like

I could not do the crap test. My sphincter balked at the squat toilet and the one handicapped toilet was occupied. I went across the street to McDonalds and ate a crap-load of food. Went back to the hospital and still could not go. So I phoned a friend and he did the job for me.

yup! 1994-5ish that was still true

1 Like

foc wrote "Yes I live in a 5th floor Gongyu. That is required by law for foreigners. " Whaā€¦?!:rofl: Where do you get this stuff?

What job? Took a crap for you?

Thatā€™s not really true except for some outskirts in the mountains or some rough riveersides/factory areas . Some schools adopt strays. In the old days stray dogs were literally in every neighbourhood, I remember it well as they would roam around in packs at night fighting and howling.

2 Likes

I remember once in 1991 they deported like 8 or 9 foreign teachers but left the spouse of a Taiwan citizen. No due process, just caught teaching one night, out the next morning after some light overnight grilling, a nighy in the police barracks, and a trip to the tax office.

The only ones I knew of who were deported and married were those here on visitor visaā€™s and not ARCā€™s. A lot of foreigners I knew in Taipei & Taichung in the 90ā€™s didnā€™t have ARCā€™s as they would have to leave, go home get their police check done then have it notarized at a TECO. I had flown to Canberra ACT to get mine done as they could not be done by post.

1 Like

Posted here and the context was about pathway to citizenship.

1 Like

Thatā€™s every night in my neighborhood.

Nah , sounds unlikely to me.