How was life in Taiwan during 90's?

How was life in Taiwan like during the 90s compared to these days?

2 Likes

My parents lived in Taiwan for three years until 1989. They recently started living here again and they say not much has changed (in a negative way).

The only real improvement they see now is less betel-nut juice stains on the streets, and of course there are MRT systems now.

1 Like

Easy money and easyā€¦

1 Like

Didnā€™t there used to a poor trash collection system as well? Iā€™ve heard horror stories of people walking past piles of trash everyday.

4 Likes

Some piss poor observation skills if thatā€™s all theyā€™ve noticed.

12 Likes

Is there anything they think got worse?

They say the news stories have gotten more ridiculous, in terms of what Taiwanese consider newsworthy.

3 Likes

I was younger so the traffic, the wild west aspect of driving a scooter or a motorcycle fast in and out of traffic was thrilling. Older now, and Iā€™d be so much less thrilled if it were still like that. Been back a month now and I havenā€™t yelled at anyone for nearly killing me crossing the road. Thatā€™s huge. The MRT is great, as are the clean and fast buses into Taipei from the hinterlands.

It is cleaner, but I havenā€™t been around the island yet. The air is WAY cleaner than it was in the acid rain, burning skin days of the mid 90s. Could be better though.

There arenā€™t packs of dogs running all over, which is huge. The culling program they ran, as odious as it was, worked.

I see way more belly buttons and tattoos just walking down the street now. Used to have pay a cover charge in Taichung to get that.

The hilarity of the culture is still here. Iā€™m more accepting so things donā€™t bother me, but in laws saying bye bye oooh ten times over still grinds my gears a bit.

Noise cancelling earbuds hadnā€™t been invented yet. Theyā€™re a huge part of my days now.

12 Likes

Word. The news programs of JUST car accidents is crazy. I saw a show today of some guy following some other guy on a scooter recording the other guy talking on his phone. Then the first guy sends the video to the cops and the guy gets a 9500 NT fine for all the infractions. what a dick. lol

3 Likes
  • There were less foreigners, so even a mixed-race kid like me stuck out like a sore thumb. Not sure how it works out in elementary school now, but I still get PTSD from the BS Iā€™ve endured every once in a while, and it took me MANY years to convince myself to ever visit Taiwan ever again, and Iā€™m glad that the amount of stupid questions I receive about my race/background has been reduced to nearly zero.

• Pollution was much more rampant: Iā€™d walk past piles of trash everywhere, and despite having more public trash cans available (itā€™s almost eradicated since nowadays apparently people would abuse the trash system), littering was extremely commonā€¦ Now thereā€™s almost no trash cans everywhere but the streets are pretty clean.

• Smog was something else; I went back to the US in 1997, visited Taiwan in 2001, and had severe eye allergies in the summer enough to need to go to the doc and get some eye drops.

• Stray dogs were VERY common, at least where I was (Zhonghe City, Taipei Province AKA Zhonghe District, New Taipei now); the animal control wonā€™t even bother unless theyā€™re attacking people and/or rabid, and even then I saw a neighborhood strayā€™s mouth foaming for a week before they finally did something about itā€¦ Consequently, dog droppings were also common enough to be a HUGE problem from both stray dogs and dog owners who ignored the problem alike, and it took me a LONG time to undo the habit of looking at the ground to avoid stepping on poop in the US.

• Although cars/scooters/etc. will still zip past you while youā€™re trying to cross the street every once in a while, but back then it was WAY worse. Apparently the law was always that pedestrians had the right of way, but NOBODY would EVER stop for you back then; Iā€™ve had cars passing me within inches while trying to cross a road (when in the US theyā€™d at least wine and dine you before you get fkā€™d give you a bit of wiggle room), and even one punk-ass circled back to pick a fight with my cousin when he yelled at a dude that almost ran over my foot.

• You used to have to stand for the national anthem in movie theaters.

• I never once saw graffiti when I was a kid, but now itā€™s unfortunately getting to be like Downtown LA.

15 Likes

Ha. I never did that. Ridiculous.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever even heard the Taiwan national anthem, but I can sing the PRC one by heart. Iā€™m such a bad Taiwanese.

I went to school here and weā€™d have to stand for the anthem AND sing it in school too (not sure if thatā€™s still the case), but I only remember the general melody and like, 2 of the first verses.

I have a couple of American friends who were here for a couple of years in the early 90s and havenā€™t been back since then. Their biggest memory seems to be the smog, which they found to be unbearable. Iā€™ve tried to convince them itā€™s really nice here now!

They call that art now.

2 Likes

Less martial law.

Fewer gangster kidnappings.

Less garbage all over the place.

Less obvious pollution in the cities.

More HSR.

Better TRA.

Better just about everything actually. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

11 Likes

Hereā€™s a guyā€”former AIT director Stephen Young, an American who grew up in K-Townā€”who lived in Taiwan back in the day. Check out how he remembers things:

Guy

5 Likes

Not true, a lot is better?

Did you not travel north/south? Before needed to fly (or drive a car or bus), now with the bullet train is much faster and easier. Also safer, the local airlines would sometimes crash, the bullet train here (and in Japan) zero deaths.

Toilets much better, can flush paper down in most places no need to bin it (I seldom did it though)

New modern homes, even older homes like the one I am in is modernized inside

Better public safety , very few kidnaping or news like that, you see bars on windows cus in the past crime was higher

All the trains and I think all bus are air con, unless a few years ago still some non air con trains (now the tourist brezzy blue)

New underground Taipei station, and the urban stations here (KHH) are under too

Traffic in Taipei area much much much better, if you drove in like me in 2003 and now, a huge difference

Airfares seem cheaper to/from Japan, Korea, ect

Urban rivers cleaner, ie Love river (KHH)

9 Likes

I remember standing for the national anthem in theaters , and smoking in them. Could smoke in post offices also.
Scooter gangs.
People getting bashed up at The Pig & Whistles.
Crap tests for ARCs.
The garbage piles. Around CNY you could sometimes score good stuff, even some antique furniture.
I remember no convenience stores and the first McDonalds.
And of course the McDonaldā€™s bombing attacks:

4 Likes

This musician claims people came to his hotel threatening him with machine guns.

So Iā€™m guessing machine guns were all over the place.

1 Like