How was your ride today?

Random ride out today - set off go wherever I feel like.
Thankfully broken my speed barrier of 64kph realise why, aero bike, frame, Handelbars, seat post and spokes.
Shame non aero lardarse sat on top of it, have lost a few kilos so getting faster 67.5kph.

8 Likes

Two nice rides this week, actually meeting my “goal” of 100km/week for the first time in, um, a very very long time (@ericinformosa, did I steal that goal from you?). Monday, up from Danshui into Sanzhi and Qingshan Road, down to Shimen, back around the coast, up the 北7, and home via the 101. Moving time of 3h20m, elapsed time of 4h10m, because of far more photos than necessary. (Yup, totally stopping on the 北7 for pictures, not at all because I was exhausted …)

Today, out of Danshui via Denggong / 鄧公 road, down into Beitou, and a riverside loop to Chengmei Changshou (成美長壽) bridge - I think the cycling ramps are new on that bridge? I used to always cross at the Rainbow Bridge near Raohe night market, where there are steep ramps you can push the bike up and down, but now there are good riding ramps on the Chengmei Changshou Bridge (it’s the purple one. My goodness it’s purple).

It’s cherry blossom season! Plenty of the deeper red blooms are out, but not many of the light pink ones yet. Gorgeous blossoms in the hills of Danshui and Sanzhi at the moment. Unfortunately this also meant lots of traffic around Wuji Tianyuan Temple (無極天元): a small traffic backlog when I climbed by it around 10am on Monday, despite it being nominally a workday; massive backlog going down the hill when I came back down around 2pm. Somewhat to my surprise, on that same Monday Qingshan Road was almost deserted. So over the next few weeks I may try climbing via the alternate routes in @Membrillo’s map a few posts up, and see if those roads are any quieter. I deeply dislike returning to Danshui via that main coast road, but perhaps I’ll like it more heading out and earlier in the day.

Strava segments for a few of the prettier & cherry-blossom-strewn areas from these two days (I hope I’m linking these the right way): on Qingshan Road; the climb up the 北7 / 大湖路; and the climb up Denggong / 鄧公 Road out of Danshui. I also remember seeing Strava routes that try to cover the sakura highlights, but those no longer seem to be visible at my free tier.

8 Likes

Early in the morning, it is usually very quiet. Not many people have/want to go up north at that time. Anyway, you can skip the main road entirely:

北8 is a nice road and it has a very nice place to stop for even more photos:

2 Likes

If I gave myself a goal like that, i’d just do it in one ride and then never ride again.

Moderation is not my forté

2 Likes

Funny, so many years, and I never knew that road connection …

2 Likes

You going very well, Sirrr…

1 Like

Eh, not really. The main point for that goal is (was?) to get myself riding more often and shorter. I want a habit of heading out for a 40-60 minute ride any time it’s dry enough, instead of only heading out for longer rides on the nice days: fitting in cycling like I already fit in swimming or weight-lifting, rather than only having rides that take up a big chunk of the day. (I want those rides too! I want to be able to make those rides longer!)

I think my fundamental problem with cycling is that I only “like” cycling, whereas what I love is being outside when it’s a nice day (and the summer skies here are absolutely gorgeous, although of course that comes with awful heat). This means I don’t wind up training enough, so when the weather is good - like it has been much of this past week - my body isn’t up to longer or frequent rides. For example, after Monday’s ride I was still too sore on Wednesday for another ride; I was glad yesterday’s gloomy forecast turned out to be wrong so I could get out again.

Those shorter rides should theoretically be easy where I live in Danshui: there are plenty of roads I can take straight up a hill, and then back down (same way or a circle route), get a good workout, and be home in less than an hour. But I still haven’t managed to develop that habit. And if I were regularly doing that, I guess / hope that I wouldn’t look at the 120km+ rides that others post and think “Ha, no way.” I know I can ride every day, I know I can go over 100km in a day, but I’m in a never-ending cycle of taking a few weeks to ramp up to be able to do that - and, oh, weather or work intervenes, and I don’t get out for a while, and once again I’m at a stage where I can do 60km OK, but I need a few days before my butt can handle a saddle again.

2 Likes

No photos left without phone :iphone: and water!

5 Likes

:eek:

A damn early start even for me. Heading up the climb there was very low visibility with the cloud cover, but beautiful weather at the top.

9 Likes

Nice pics, think I’ll try and make effort on early start next month.
Cooler in the early 5-6am time to need light windbreaker jacket, long pants and sleeves?

Depends on the day and where you ride. But some more clothes are useful for most days in the winter.

1 Like

For me it really depends on how wet it is and the wind chill. I’ll usually take a peek at yangmingshan weather website or their APP. They also show the “apparent temp” to factor in wind/humidity/rain.

Yesterday was supposed to be 15-17 degrees at the Visitor’s Center. I didn’t have leg warmers or a jacket, but I did have on a thin baselayer tank top under the jersey. I also had on a thin buff around my neck and sun-protection sleeves. Starting out in the city it was chilly for sure, but once you get going on the climb you’ll warm up quite a lot.

Descending on a normal 15c day is fine (with dry roads) until you hit the cloud cover section and then it is a bit cold. At my ‘middle-agedness’ I’ll break out some thin leg warmers, light jacket and even shoe covers if it is less than 12c.

2 Likes

When you’re riding in the very early morning on YMS or elsewhere outside of town do you rely on a front light and rear red light only, or does anyone also use a headlamp on their helmet?

I use only front/rear lights. So far riding both early morning and previously riding those Lengshuikeng Visitor center & Fengguizui routes at night, I haven’t come across anyone with a helmet lamp. I’ve seen some rear (red) helmet lights.

For Lengshuikeng, the final 1km and the top section don’t have street lamps. The rest of the route is fairly well lit. When riding at night and hitting the last 1km it’s nice to have a 500 lumen light. Fengguizui has street lamps for the full route…but if you go the last bit to the top there are no lamps.

If using a headlamp I might caution the brightness level unless when looking up the lamp is still squarely pointed down. I have come across a few cyclists with their light pointed straight ahead and it can be blinding.

2 Likes

I went for a relaxing morning ride. It became even more relaxed when I realised I wasn’t wearing a helmet, after 40 minutes of riding time…

This. At least in the Taipei area, many roads have lights. For morning rides, by the time you have to descend it’ll be daytime (unless you start really early). Even descending at night is fine with 400 lumens front light, at least for sensible speeds.

You can also use intermittent smaller lights in the seatstay and fork to help drivers spotting you.

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I had thought that the extra helmet-mounted light might provide some much-needed help in spotting stuff on or near the road, like snakes, dogs, construction material, grates-a-kilter, etc., but at least on that route I can see that it would be overkill and perhaps bad for other cyclists.

1 Like

I thought I was forgetful :grinning:

Temperature higher than I expected, never looked. March will be comfortable for standard wear.

1 Like

Front and rear light should be enough, but if a headlight adds to your comfort level, go for it. It doesn’t hurt.

1 Like

Not much to really share about my ride on Sunday, so I’m glad pictures speak a thousand words.

8 Likes