How was your ride today?

Lovely ride today: perfect temperatures, although occasional crosswinds had me hurriedly slowing down. My first weekend ride in a while, since the cherry blossom and then tomb-sweeping seasons always make me wary of traffic on the nearby hills. Thanks @Membrillo for recommending the 北8 as an alternate way to get up into the hills: I had that mostly to myself this morning, and thought it was a quiet day out. Plus I’ve still done it few enough times that I keep getting personal records on Strava! Then I was really glad I’d taken that route when I discovered that the 101 was in fact discouragingly busy. But I only had to deal with that for very short sections: everything away from that road was almost deserted.

Kudos to the taxi (!) on my descent of the 101 at the end of the ride: staying a good distance back until they saw the chance to pass, then quickly doing so while keeping a safe distance from me. Negative kudos to the car behind them, who stayed tight just behind and beside me, which meant when a car suddenly started backing out in front of us I had to slam on the brakes to avoid an impact, since I had no way to swing out on the road. The descending car narrowly missed the reversing car, but I don’t think they even noticed.

Cherry blossoms all gone. Saw a few Formosan magpies and eagles. There were three or four other cyclists on the lovely quieter mountain roads, but I saw several big packs of them (us?) on the coast road.

Plenty of surfers not at Baishawan itself, but a little further around the coast. Um … it seemed like way too many in a fairly small area.

Total 57km, with 1033m of elevation gain.

8 Likes

Talking about Strava, I don’t think I have you in Strava.

Yesterday for me was family ride and picnic in the river park in Banqiao. It sounds like an easy ride, but pulling a bike trailer with a 3 year old, her bike and our food against headwinds (both going to Banqiao and back to Tamsui) made it surprisingly hard.

3 Likes

Those roads less taken up and down the north coast are :100:. Wish I had more time to explore them.

1 Like

Yup, I definitely enjoy having those roads so close. But the negative side is if I want to head towards Wulai or out of Xindian, or towards Ilan, I’ve already got 30km of riding along the riverside before I can even “start” the interesting part! (And - what’s really daunting - the 30km on the way back afterwards.)

2 Likes

Had a jaunty 50 miles with my son and friends.

3 Likes

An answer to all your problems: Move to Beitou :laughing:

1 Like

It was a helluva two weeks to be back in the saddle after 2 months of nonstop traveling for work. Out of all my rides, this one was one worth sharing.

Started in Xindian and headed down No.9 to Toucheng. I was riding in a small group, so we were efficient with our rest time. The main climb for the day was the DaXi Industry Rd or the Yilan1. I did zero homework before going and had zero idea it just went on forever, but it was such a great exploration. The road is like the unabridged version of FGZ with everything you could expect in a segment. Steep, multiple hair pins, flats and slight downhill all mixed in a 22km segment before you actually descend into Shuang Xi.

The views were spectacular, but funny enough, I only took a picture as we left from Xindian :laughing:

Definitely worth a try if you are up for a big ride!

7 Likes

awesome ride! did you see monkeys?

Sometimes i miss those amazing Taiwan mountain roads. then i remember I’m pushing 60 and in no shape for them anymore…

2 Likes

I did the Daxi Ind. Road a year ago, but in the opposite direction. I loved it. The beginning of the climb from the coast must be hard.

1 Like

Ever consider an eBike?

1 Like

Wash your mouth out with soap, young man!!

3 Likes

Last thing anyone wants to see.

4 Likes

I never liked them or the people passing me on one, effortless pedaling at slow cadence. A friend got one years ago, I mocked at him and called him a cheater, then a couple of years later he died of a heart attack (his heart condition was the one reason he got the cheater bike in the first place).

Sometimes I say inappropriate things, I guess.

2 Likes

Summer is here. Not dangerouly hot, yet; but uncomfortable hot. Enough to make me take the MRT to save me 20 something km of hot and sun at 2 pm.

3 Likes

It’s the time of the year when I avoid riding in the sun between 10am and 2pm.

1 Like

Today’s ride: out from Danshui, up Balaka, down to Jinshan, home looping back around the coast via Baishawan and Sanzhi. 76km total, 1284m elevation gain, 4h07m riding time, elapsed time 5h14m. Six minutes slower than the last time I did this route, back in November. I’m fine with that. I’m glad I went out, and the ride felt good, but I never had all that much energy - one of those days when you’re not so much happy with how well you did, but happy you did it at all.

Summer is coming. I set out a bit past 8am, which was a mistake. Going up Balaka was comfortable, especially after I’d gained some altitude - at first I thought it’d be the first “Let’s see how much sweat will drip down on my bike” ride of the season, but nope, not yet! But coming around the coast at about noon, oof … the sun wasn’t comfortable, and I was wishing I’d left home an hour or two earlier. It’s definitely the season to shift starting times earlier.

Wildlife count: five Formosan magpies, two very early and three later on. A bunch of the usual crested serpent eagles. No macaques, to my disappointment - I think this is my first time on the route to Jinshan that I haven’t seen any.

Hazy washed out skies the whole time, oh well - none of the brilliant blue / green contrast you can often see on this route.

4 Likes

Came and left. I was ready to put away the hoodies and now we got highs in the low 20s. This is more like April weather though.

Got a chance to go out on my favorite route this past weekend and added an extra climb heading back home. Really really love that XiPing Rd. downhill. Have a double yellow from top to bottom and minimal traffic at all times of the day.

If you guys ever make your way over there, make sure to stop to snap picks from the Ping Xi → XiZhi direction.

7 Likes

Yes, Xiping Rd is a great climb and descend. I also find it best counterclockwise (from Pingxi to Xizhi) rather than the other way round which I never cared much about because of that dreadful long climb.

1 Like

Finally made it from Taichung to Hualien and return via wuling.
Took the decision to ride after a team ride on Wednesday night where I completely exhausted myself. The day before also have had a tough tempo ride over 5 hours. Cannot prepare better :joy:.

Of course if you can add a climb on the way to Puli, so do it and my legs cramped already going up at 180watts average over 1 hour on 136.
First I have wanted to start at Puli but during the week 4 toad construction sites which are only open one per hour, once per 2 hours, once per 3 hours block my way so considering I’m cooked already and have to pass dayuling before 12:00 to make it to hualien before nightfall I decided to sleep in cingjing farm first night (well didn’t notice my place was 100m altitude below the road in the middle of nowhere).
Next day felt a bit better and from 1600m to Wuling in less than 2:20 hours pushing 3.2w/kg (yeah some luggage and Conti trainer tired with tubes don’t really help…) The downhill then took 5 hours due to roadworks…
Today 6:30 start but needed to stop for breakfast and goal 12:00 at km 117.4, great legs in the beginning but the flat section I collapsed and my NP dropped from 3.1w/kg to 2.7w/kg so I arrived a bit late 12:05 and they stopped me until 12:30… Then the final section felt better, managed to ride through all of it without pushing but got stuck in bad bad traffic jam around 3100m as there was huge chaos with parked cars blocking one lane and yeah both sides 500m jam not moving at all.
Then rode down to lushan for relaxing in hot springs and will go back to Taichung tomorrow. 2900 activity minutes this week already on my garmin. I really need some break but on Tuesday if the weather is good central range point, death ridge extension and nanhu awaits…

Oh yeah, the top section is steep but I find 136 from South worse. Overall still my hardest bike trip in Taiwan though not the hardest single day (that was up to daxueshan)

https://www.strava.com/activities/8975964117/shareable_images/image?token=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJ1cmwiOm51bGwsInR5cGUiOiJtYXAiLCJ0b2tlbiI6IjQ2NWFiNDEyZWYwYzg1ZjZiOGUxMmNhMmUwNWIyZGY3YzE1ZDQ5YzQiLCJ3aWR0aCI6MTQ0MCwiaGVpZ2h0IjoyOTE2LCJpbWFnZV93aWR0aCI6bnVsbCwiaW1hZ2VfaGVpZ2h0IjpudWxsLCJ1bmlxdWVfaWQiOm51bGwsInN0YXRpY192aWRlb191cmwiOm51bGwsImR1cmF0aW9uIjpudWxsfQ.XGR41YR4X6us_mlOVpiZ-XspG420F4UZmlzIegkTc78&hl=en-US&utm_source=com.strava&utm_medium=referral

7 Likes

Getting more used to riding a bike again after a hiatus of some 20 years when I moved out of the sunset district of SF

Moved back mid 22 back to sunset and got two treks for me and the missus to ride

She’s only been on a handful of rides total probably less then sixty miles

I can’t laugh because I’m
The same

It’s just super hurting on the butt to ride after so many years

Getting better after forcing myself to do a couple miles at least once a week

Thinking of getting an electric bike when I can afford one so I can keep up
With the missus

It’s hard on the regular bike
After becoming 20 years older

These days I try to do a six mile route from my home down sunset Blvd then on through Golden Gate Park down to the ocean beach and back along the beach road

Today was enjoying my ride half way into my planned 2 hours being mindful not to push BPM past 135 and riding just to get there at all costs
Thinking average speed not much faster than walking at about 8kph. But that’s with all the ups . It’s not a flat course . Pretty much in 1 on the front and 1 to 5 on the rears Only able to shift into 2 on the front and 4 to 6 on the back when on the flats next to ocean beach

Stopped along the way to take a break and noticed rear tire flat

Dang

Called up the missus to come get me
Didn’t have a spare tube at home to effect the repairs and shops are closed

The inner tubes cost about 6 to 10 bucks with some high end ones costing 35 or more

Decided to try Slime

And it seems to work , will see tomorrow

Seems I should probably put some in my front tire and also the missus tires on her trek because I saw today how a tiny tiny puncture meant I could not return home without help

The cycle track is a great addition to the park and there are lots of dirt trails some narrow some broad . Lots of elevation changes in GG park you may be amazed

Really have to build up my endurance

Used to think nothing of riding the whole park now I can only do half the park

Used to ride from the house across the golden gate and back sometimes into Sausalito

Can’t manage that just yet unless on an electric bike

But then one has to cover three times the distance just to get the same work out

But that said one can if one wishes

Or if one doesn’t wish but is compelled to do so because more fit riding partners want to do more distance

Ps yes the Slime seems to have fixed the tiny cut in the inner tube and it’s holding air well
Put Slime in the front wheel as well as on wifeys bike’s tires as a prevention

Seems we have thorns around here that are tire piecing and the slime should keep things rolling so only bigger punctures will take us out

Maybe I should get a panier and put a tube and hand pump in there ?

Once I start longer rides

What do you guys do on your rides ? Need to bring tire repair kits ? Or you never had a flat ?

5 Likes