How was your ride today?

Yeah, based on all that, this is definitely in the category of “Talk to your doctor about how much the high heart rate should concern you”, rather than listen to some fool like me on the internet!

I think there are ways to set up warnings for high (or low) heart rates on the Apple Watch - it sounds like you may have those set already.

Do you not have the Fitness app on your phone? It looks like the three coloured rings of the Apple Watch. That app gives me a record of how much time I spent in each zone, and a record of what my heart rate was as the workout went on. That should give you a much better idea of what your heart is doing over the course of a workout.

1 Like

Today’s weather is awesome for a ride. I’m so jealous of those who went out.

Happy Memorial Day ! It’s sunny and nice here we are going cherry picking in Brentwood
They have literally the very best cherries in the world but the season is super short and housing developments mean in a few years cherry picking there will be a memory
There’s also peaches and strawberries to pick too

Thinking of putting a hitch on the Prius so we can get a two cycle bike rack on the back and go ride out of town

Or get a roof rack which looks more cool
But then you have to lift the bikes up there

Maybe less chance of them getting stolen though

Why not just live out of town?

1 Like

Well actually living by the ocean and the GG park as we do it’s a great cycling place but we are thinking of sometimes riding parts of highway 1 and maybe some parts of Monterey/Carmel and even maybe Tahoe . We can take one bike in the Prius with the front wheels off but not two

1 Like

Seems reasonable. Northern Oregon has a nice coastline as well. The mass of humanity in SF is a deal breaker. I applaud you guys that you have done it for so long. :bowing:

1 Like

We don’t know any better

1 Like

Searched for info per your advice from my watch

Don’t think I’m near 200bpm much

This is from recent ride to Sausalito

1 Like

Tommy, definitely talk to your cardiologist. 200 is higher than most people your age can get to. I max out around 190 but only after sprints while training. And if you do have one of several underlying issues, medication or not, you can tip over into an unstable rhythm or tachycardia.

So pace yourself when cycling! Set an alarm at say, 160 bpm and then rest a bit till it goes below ride average. This might mean doing some walking. I need to walk some parts if I’m on a recovery day and trying to keep my heart in zone 2-3.

5 Likes

Now you guys idea of a little ride it’s like 30 to 50 miles or even 100 miles my idea of a little ride is like what I just did a little five miler down to the park and back

Nice little tiny work out that doesn’t put a lot of strain on the old ticker anything more than 5 miles. I might want to relegate to an electric bicycle which when I save up for it I’ll eventually get one maybe when the price is in free fall a little bit. I hear that there’s a huge inventory of bikes and I keep hearing about prices going way down but who knows

It might be a bunch a bank about the price is going down.

Honestly, I think a Trek verve 2 electric which is the E bike version of what I have for 1000 bucks would be fair not $2000 at my bro special price and that’s before tax. I think 1000 total out the door tax included is par for the course. .

Not sure the bike shop thinks like I do though but hey I keep hoping

Honestly, electric bicycles are becoming more and more common around these parts.

I haven’t been on one yet, but is it like totally useless as an exercise tool or what?

+1

I didn’t want to say it, but I wanted to say it. Those numbers are high especially for the not so high intensity I’m assuming your ride is.

My peak is also somewhere above 190bpm but due to some issues I decided to take it easier on the bike. Practicing sports like if you were a pro is kinda as risky as it is for them (riskier than what most people may think) plus nobody is paying you.

There’s a very clear correlation between high intensity exercise with not enough rest and cardiac arrest. I know pushing is tempting and fun, but it’s not worth it.

2 Likes

Yup: which is why I didn’t try to keep up with the cycling packs that passed me a couple of days ago. I’m making an effort to NOT do that anymore, because a couple of times when I’ve done so, I’ve hit exertion levels that sure felt like I’d pushed myself too far.

The data are a nice side benefit of the Apple Watch actually. On the bike, 155 is “ok, I can hold this level for a few minutes”; 160 is “nope, I’m not imagining it, I need to ease off NOW.”

Heart rates vary and those numbers will differ of course; but 200 is really high for anyone middle aged and above.

2 Likes

Yeah… I guess I chose my victims; right now I’m not in my prime so I couldn’t even consider keeping up with people I could have beaten years ago (I was never the strongest rider around anyway, just to make it clear…). But sometimes, only sometimes, when you’re especially motivated and feeling strong, you really want to go and pass people :smiley:

I think 145-160 is quite OK for me, I think 175 used to be my speedy cruise speed’s HR, and when pushing I go well above that. But TBH I don’t really remember, I might be making all these numbers up. Will pay more attention next time that I push. If I feel like to push xD

2 Likes

Thanks for that I was hoping you would chime in

Because where I live in the sunset is not flat but quite hilly perhaps I should not be on a bike at all

I should probably ride an E-bike to keep the heart rate lower

Maybe the trek Verve 2 E bike my bro is suggesting

It’s one where you need to pedal and the motor assists you especially on hills so you can keep the same level of exertion

This is my little ride this pm which I thought I did at a leisurely pace but may actually be risky for me

I’m getting my annual physical next month let me ask what my primary doc says

If she says I’m crazy to bike ride then I’m off the bike

1 Like

Do you guys all ride with a bike computer with a heart rate monitor? I’ve never had a bike computer. I just use my Strava-connected cellphone, which I find adequate. If my heart rate is too high, I will know it and will slow down.

1 Like

Same.

On this past Sunday’s ride, I knew it was time to take it easy after I started feeling like upchucking my morning coffee.

3 Likes

I’ve used a basic bike computer since before smartphones were around, although these days I pay very little attention to it beyond glancing at the speed once in a while. I started using Strava (only ever free tier) on my phone to record rides in late 2014. I got an Apple Watch in late 2020, and soon started using that, with the app WorkOutDoors, to record rides. I like having the extra heart rate data, but that’s 20% actual utility (it is useful for discerning those times when I’m not working all that hard), and 80% an excessive fondness for data.

The heart rate data has basically cured old (mild but annoying) anxieties along the lines of “Oh my god am I dying?!” And I can glance at the heart rate, see it’s in line with the usual, and relax.

With WorkOutDoors it’s possible to plan a ride in Google Maps, upload it, and get little vibrations to tell you when to turn, but I’ve used that so infrequently that it takes me forever to remember how to do it. If I did new routes more often, I’d get more use out of that feature, but stopping at the roadside and looking at a map on my phone is usually good enough.

I gather the heart rate data from an Apple Watch does not integrate well with a Strava subscription. I continue to have lingering curiosity about if seeing my pace on a segment or whatever would help improve my speeds, but I’ve never been curious enough to pay for Strava.

3 Likes

So what you’re saying is, you want to die by sticking your head up someones vagina?

Not eggaxctly but ….is there a better way?

Got a good deal from target online for two new tires and two new self sealing tubes for my buddies bike. All we gotta do now is put them on

Got a learn how to do it because it doesn’t have easy off wheels

He got that Peugeot bike which is probably 30 years old at a yard sale for 10 bucks all it needed was new cables new pads and new tires and tubes so probably $150 spent for a decent bike with stainless rims and decent shimano gear

Compares well with the 650 I spent on my trek

But I still like mine better