We had a weird day last Saturday in Taipei where I woke up at around 5:45AM only to see grey and lots of clouds. Luckily, no rain and nothing on the radar, which I thought was kind of weird. I headed out with the group anyways towards Xi Ping Rd.
Little did we know it was fog and low clouds that day. Roads were super wet, but we got rewarded once we got over 300m elevation.
Been riding a lot in the rain lately and I can def say it’s not the worst thing to ever happen to someone while riding a bike.
A few weeks ago I got the chance to ride down the northern cross in the rain and it’s definitely something else. Every time I’ve been there, it’s always been bright and sunny. This time the clouds were floating across the mountains and gives a bit of an eerie, but sense of calmness too.
How’s everyone’s early spring riding coming along?
Very little of it. Too many days with pollution or rain, which I definitely dislike riding in. One cracked rib from wiping out on a wet road and I’m forever nervous about it.
I’ve become somewhat “lazy” in that I’m going to a gym for indoor cycling more. This means that on the borderline hazy / wet days, when I may have gone for an outdoor ride in years past, I’m now going to the gym.
While the cherry blossoms were lovely (as always!), I am at least glad the mountain crowds for first sakura, and then tomb-sweeping, seem to have gone.
But last Saturday was lovely! With the sunburn to go with it … I didn’t plan to be out that long, so I foolishly didn’t worry about sunscreen or sleeves, but the skies were lovely and the temperature comfortable enough that I just sort of kept going.
The “Southern” Northern route is definitely one of my favorite long rides - it really doesn’t matter if the weather is sunny or wet (not pouring down), both have different moods, especially in the Minchi Forest which tends to be very “moody”. Currently planning a self supported ride later next week to “cut the leave in half”…should be an “experience”…I expect to get wet, just hope it’s not too wet in the mountains.
Even without dangerous drivers, I successfully wiped out on a youbike while turning a corner on a sidewalk yesterday in our rainy capital. You’d think I’d have learned the “slippery tiles” lesson by now . . .
In my own case, I’m trying to build back up to longer rides and more climbing. I struggle a bit, because I’m in my late fifties and not super-fit, at least compared to most, but I like pushing against my limits.
So I’ve headed up to Fenguizui a couple of times, although one time I did my back in (seat was too high) and had to take about a week off to recover. Also, I greatly suspect my gearing is too high, since everyone else who passes me by on their presumably super-light Pinarello’s (mine is a Performer Leap titanium road bike, hence a touch heavier) seems to be spinning a great deal more on their climbs.
That said, I’ve been up Maokong nearly twenty times since the start of the year with the specific intent of improving my strength. While I know it’s probably not a very accurate indicator, Strava estimates my ‘watts’ per ride as around 76 watts, which, as you’ll no doubt know, is apparently on the very low side. Or I assume so, since I don’t really know how it works. I don’t use clipless shoes, but I don’t know if that makes any difference.
I’ve found some very nice, low-key loops down from Yonghe in the direction of Daxi Bridge and back up, only partly on the riverside paths - I cross over at the footbridge a few miles before Daxi, then get on the road for the return leg. About forty miles, but only 1500 feet or so of climbing. Nice when you want to get out, but not put in a lot of effort.
This year I’m hoping to go a bit further afield, like cycling to Yilan and a bit up the coast, maybe, then get the train back to Taipei - pretty much the same route someone else posted here a while back. I may also cycle down to Hsinchu then also get the train back.
Just watched that. It’s great. There was a video of the one called Ollie taking part in the Taiwan KOM a couple of years ago which I think led to a few people making travel plans here. I noted on GCN’s Facebook page that their trip was in part sponsored by the Taiwan Tourist Board, which is a smart move on their part.
This is awesome. Always wanted to do this, but just can’t find the time to be away for that long. Of course, once we talk about it, GCN produced an amazing video on it.
The route is going to get popular amongst some cyclists looking for a challenge.
I’m pretty sure they’ve been coming for some time now. It’s that we never see them bc they don’t spend too much time in Taipei. Which is good, some of the greatest cycling are outside of Taipei.
Ideally (and this is what I tell friends who come for cycling holidays). 2-3 days in Taipei before (or after) they set out on their journey. I had a group of friends that came from Australia a few years back to do a more hardcore version of huan dao and they regretted not spending a bit more time doing coffee rides in the city with me.