How was your ride today?

Memory is fading. Currently on heavy meds for slipped lumbar disk. Bleatgh.

Horrible wind.

Sweet mother goose, how do you cope with 10 hours in the saddle at 20km/h+?

Do you do long distances fairly regularly to be able to cope with that? I think i’d last a good 60km before the fun stops lol

1 Like

He rides a Giant Defy.

Balaka highway

3 Likes

Don’t forget, whatever goes up, must come down. As much elevation as you climb, is as much you have to descend :wink:.

I don’t regularly do that many kms on a weekend ride, but just experience in fueling and keeping your heart rate and cadence at a sustainable pace from longer rides.

And this as well. Buy a Giant Defy, easily ride 200km+

1 Like

If you can fit on it…was looking for one but high range model are only available in Taiwan for M and smaller.

That’ll be all the WFH MAMILs that used to be Business Executives in London but now spend their lunchtime training for triathlons, getting their 25km cycle portion time down to offset their difficulty in the water.

Yeah guess they sell them more expensive abroad. But it’s been several years that Giant has been doing it. I saw that as borderline discrimination from Giant and bought another brand.

Yeah it’s a bit much over here… don’t you think?

They must have some sort of deals with Shimano over here (Taiwan), cause it is not cheap, but there is real value for the money…just wish they were doing adult size :grinning:

Value for money?

That bike in the link is 12 times what i paid for my car! Car won’t become brittle and fall apart from UV either lol

only in Taiwan…

how much are they there?

Would it be cheaper for me to fly my ass over, buy one and bring it back? post-cov

Shimano 105 model (up to ML) is ~1800 GBP
Shimano Ultegra model (up to M, better components than above) ~ 2600 GBP
Shimano Ultegra di2 model (up to M, better components than above) ~ 3900 GBP

1 Like

Holy goodness! I know what I’m doing next then. Only problem is the brake levers are opposite in Taiwan than they are in the UK, but can fix that fairly easily.

Frame sets made in Taiwan will not be much cheaper than overseas in the EU or US. Something on clearance overseas will easily be lower price than Taiwan as a lot of shop owners would rather keep a 2 year old bike, sell it at a lower discount, than sell it near cost and bring in new bikes.

What’s cheaper here is labor and parts. The reason for parts being cheaper is most bikes are made and assembled here in Taiwan. So, any extra parts that the assembly factory doesn’t need, gets leaked out and is sold at a fraction of the market price.

I think prices in TW, at least for Giant bicycles, have gone up quite a lot. Like a 20%? More? haven’t done the Math but they look significantly higher than years ago. Shops used to offer a 15% discount which I’m not sure if it’s found anymore. Last time I went on a quest for good and cheap GP 5000’s a guy at a Giant shop laughed at me when I asked if there was a discount on the tag price. It took me like 4 shops to find a 10 or 15% discount on those tyres! My understanding was that prices in all these retail shops are inflated so that they can offer big discounts that make you leave the shop very happy but maybe that’s not the case anymore.

I don’t know if now bicycles will become the new laptops, I hope not.

1 Like

If you bought a bike from Giant and registered your phone number for their membership, you instantly get 10% off at the register.

What? I never heard of that. I’m confused, that’s how it used to be, or that’s still the case nowadays?