How would you grade this Chinese homework?

How many marks would you give the student? In Q11, the student misheard 哪 and thought it was 那 instead.
你的國家現在天氣怎麼樣?
現在,我的國家天氣不太冷可是有下雨。
你覺得春天,夏天,秋天冬天什麼時候去你的國家旅行最好?為什麼?
我覺得春天的時候去我的國家旅行比較好。因為天氣不太熱,不太冷,又花朵又唱鳥。
明年的新年你有什麼計畫?
明年的新年我希望跟家人一起過年。
大家都討厭下雨。你呢?為什麼?
我喜歡下雨,因為下雨以後,空氣新鮮了。
颱風來的時候,你覺得什麼不方便?為什麼?
颱風來的時候,我覺得有一點不方便航行。因為,颱風的時候,有一點危險去航行。
台南很好玩。你覺得什麼地方比台南更好玩?為什麼?
我覺得台灣旁邊的島嶼更好玩。因為我還沒去那裡。
你討厭自己一個人做什麼事?
我不討厭自己一個人做事。我覺得自己一個人做事有比較多機會學新的東西。
上次的聽力考試你考得怎麼樣?
上次的聽力考試我考得不太好,因為我常常忘漢字。
你覺得幾歲的孩子父母不需要幫他付學費了?
我覺得十八歲的孩子,父母不需要幫他付學費了。因為他可能自己工作了。
我們明年想去你的國家旅行。要是我只有三天你建議我去哪裡做什麼?
要是你們只有三天,我建議你們租車因為等公共交通浪費時間。租車以後,我建議你們去國家公園旅行和歷史古蹟。
大家常說去那裡旅行的時候要特別小心?
是啊,有時候有扒手。
週末快到了。你想做什麼?你要去哪裡?
我想和朋友見面去看電影,以後一起去吃飯。
放假的時候你會做什麼?
放假的時候我會找工作還是生意。
你能不能一個人看可怕的電影?為什麼?
我能一個人看可怕的電影,因為我不怕鬼、兇手、怪物和虛幻的東西。

Depends on what level (how long they’ve been studying) and if it’s in writing or oral, and what grading scale you use to give so many “marks”. You haven’t given any information to help anyone understand what we’re looking at.

4 Likes

Assuming this was a listening test, how many times did you repeat the question? And what was the purpose of the assessment? “Listening” is a tricky thing to assess with a 聽寫 — you have to ask yourself (with every question) if they did not understand what was said, understood but did not know what to write, think they understood but wrote an answer that’s inconsistent with the question, etc. There are too many variables to consider here.

To give an assessment without clearly knowing how you’re going to score it ahead of time isn’t fair to the students either. Many of the questions above revolve around “your country”; why suddenly switch to “which country?” on the one that the student answered “wrong”. From context, it would be easy to assume you had mispronounced the word. In a conversation, dialogue, news report, podcast, YouTube video, etc., this isn’t likely to happen, as a misunderstanding between the two words would be quickly cleared up, either because the following sentence clarified if it was “your country” vs “which” or, in the case of a live conversation, the person asking the question could clarify what they meant when the student answered “incorrectly”. Are they “wrong” for misunderstanding the first time? If so, I’d “fail” a shocking number of interactions I have in my native language with fellow native speakers on a daily basis, and I guarantee you would too.

I don’t really “take off points” when I am assessing students. I consider what they are able to do without hesitation and make note of what they still need time to do. This ensures they are gaining fluency/proficiency and not just passing/failing tests without regard for what language they need to function. That’s on me, not them.

If you want to take off points, make sure you have a rubric that keeps you consistent. I can think of quite a few quizzes in Chinese that I failed in college because I translated a sentence correctly, but it wasn’t the exact sentence pattern and vocabulary that the teacher wanted. That’s on the teacher to clarify to students. There is no one “right way” to say anything in a language, but if the teacher expects things to be done in a rigid and specific way, they need to make sure the students know this, not withhold the information and then give out scores based on their mood. If you’re asking a question about how many points to take off for an answer, you need to reevaluate your own standards, as it means you haven’t determined what you expect from them, which is not fair to your students.

1 Like

So the student is writing down the question they hear and then answering it? Not really clear what you’re doing here.

Well, this is pretty rough…not really sure how your grading system works though.