How's your Pig going so far?

How’s the Year of the Pig shaping up for you?

So far, I have managed to fall through a porch roof while looking for a dog, cutting my leg and showering myself in asbestos in the process; then some playful dogs accidentally knocked over a wardrobe door that was leaning against a wall, sending it smashing into my head and showering me this time with broken glass that cut into my hand, neck and shoulder.

These things come in threes. I just found my car has a tyre that’s going flat. Should I drive it to get fixed or not? :astonished:

Hoping your Pig is going better than mine is so far. :s

My investment profits …not bad.
Still can talk with someone I like…Happy.
My sister recovers from her car accident…good.
So I think for now My golden pig year is pretty good.
Oh and I was told two of my friends who got married with his gfs.
“congratulations!” :beer:

Today I won NT$20 at dice at a friend’s house.

That was after hours during which I was variously down to my last NT$10 and up by almost NT$300. The Ah-gong was merciless. Each time he threw he made a grand show of thumping the bowl before he let loose with the dice (as I soon found out you’re not allowed to touch the bowl after the dice are down). He hardly ever volunteered for the first throw. Instead, he made little bets of NT$10, then started rolling out the NT$50 bets. After he wiped out two kids and one uncle, I decided I’d had enough and politely bowed out, and everyone else got out too. He got really mad because some of us still had coins, and maybe he even knew I was up by NT$20. Then he conned one of the kids into playing him one-on-one by offering her NT$10 to bet with. When she lost, he took the coin back and told her to go get NT$10 from her dad.

Let’s see, what else.

I saw that Britney Spears shaved her head, that the New Year in Beijing is kind of a big deal, that freeway traffic isn’t all that bad, that every amusement park type place in Taiwan has a TV ad, and that Taiwan variety show hosts do amazing pig imitations.

I ate a lot of pork. I drank a fair amount of Kaoliang. I held a sparkler.

All in all, a pretty fun day.

[quote=“smell the glove”]Today I won NT$20 at dice at a friend’s house.

That was after hours during which I was variously down to my last NT$10 and up by almost NT$300. The Ah-gong was merciless. Each time he threw he made a grand show of thumping the bowl before he let loose with the dice (as I soon found out you’re not allowed to touch the bowl after the dice are down). He hardly ever volunteered for the first throw. Instead, he made little bets of NT$10, then started rolling out the NT$50 bets. After he wiped out two kids and one uncle, I decided I’d had enough and politely bowed out, and everyone else got out too. He got really mad because some of us still had coins, and maybe he even knew I was up by NT$20. Then he conned one of the kids into playing him one-on-one by offering her NT$10 to bet with. When she lost, he took the coin back and told her to go get NT$10 from her dad.[/quote]

Last month I won NT$1000 on one throw of the dice!

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“smell the glove”]Today I won NT$20 at dice at a friend’s house.

That was after hours during which I was variously down to my last NT$10 and up by almost NT$300. The Ah-gong was merciless. Each time he threw he made a grand show of thumping the bowl before he let loose with the dice (as I soon found out you’re not allowed to touch the bowl after the dice are down). He hardly ever volunteered for the first throw. Instead, he made little bets of NT$10, then started rolling out the NT$50 bets. After he wiped out two kids and one uncle, I decided I’d had enough and politely bowed out, and everyone else got out too. He got really mad because some of us still had coins, and maybe he even knew I was up by NT$20. Then he conned one of the kids into playing him one-on-one by offering her NT$10 to bet with. When she lost, he took the coin back and told her to go get NT$10 from her dad.[/quote]

Last month I won NT$1000 on one throw of the dice![/quote]

I let you win cause I owed you the money anyway.

Yikes.
If that happened to me I wouldn’t use the adjective “playful”.

Going well for me after discovering this:

www.zombo.com

Now I can accomplish anything.

I’m just resting quietly, in the hopes I eventually stop coughing. :s

Relaxing so far, but chomping at the bit to get down to the Southeast coast…One more day :sunglasses:

I’m sorry that your year is sucking.
I have been spending mine with my gege and his girlfriend. My man is down in TaiNan and I miss him already. I tried to go buy books today but holy oh my DO NOT EVER go to 101 on CNY!! So I borrowed one from my gege’s girl. I’ve almost finished watching season 3 of CSI (started that on Friday).
So I’d say my new years is pretty chill.

Oh. And so far this year I have eaten nothing but curry. Almost makes me feel at home.

Unfortunately my wife is still stuck in Taiwan waiting for her visa to be processed while I’m in Detroit. That part is definitely shitty, but I’m trying to make the best of it. The Daytona 500 starts in a couple hours. That should kill some time and I’m sure I can kill a few brain cells during the race.

My Pig is FREEZING!!!

I decided to visit my parents near Winnipeg for CNY, and yes, it’s bloody cold. -23 degrees C this morning. :astonished:

Not bad at all. It was lovely up at the river yesterday, and though the water was quite a bit chillier this morning, I still thoroughly enjoyed my first-light-of-day swim in the drizzle.

I even had a good time doing the huiniangjia thing today. Eldest sis-in-law and her hubby cooked up a delicious spread of veggie dishes for me and plied me with fine beverages, and then we repaired to the parents-in-laws’ for another hearty repast. As my gym remains closed until Thursday, I’ll have to spend more time on the trail and in the river tomorrow to burn up all those extra calories.

My pig is going well, too. Mostly just sitting at home writing but I do get out for a nice hike or walk every day. MY license has expired though so I am not going out much farther than Muzha. Omni, if you want to head out somewhere give me a shout. And Happy New Year to you.

Looks to be a good year for writing. Have the Taiwan contract to finish, then Tibet, and was just asked yesterday to do Shanghai, but won’t be able to swing that. Too bad, I would have liked to stay in the city for 5 weeks exploring restaurants, clubs, bars, and the like. Oh well, something else will come up for the fall.

If I can pig out on travel this year I will be a happy porker.

Gong xi fa cai, MM! Year year have surplus!

I’ll PM you in the next day or two about a hike.

It has been a relaxing new years so far. I’m chilling on the East coast for a few days with my SO (first year since coming to Taiwan that I have stayed in Taiwan during CNY) Hiking, reading, soaking my sore bones in the hot springs, watching lots of movies, and trying some local restaurants (found a little Pakistani restaurant here that makes some great dishes).

I’m still single

Bu cuo, ni ne?

I’m ready to kill these f*ckin’ clueless, lost Taibei motorists. The streets of Luodong are a madhouse, with all of these goddamn daytrippers in their SUVs slamming on their brakes in the middle of the narrow roads or getting stranded in the middle of intersections when the light turns red. I swear, they should have jacked up the Snow Mountain tunnel tolls to $1000NT to keep these numbnuts out.

At least the weather is reasonably warm.

It’s the Year of the Pig.

How good can it be?