Hsien Su Ji Taiwanese Fried Chicken exported overseas

I buy some local street food here, good to see outside the region

night market fixture ‘hsien su ji’ becomes favorite in US - 民視新聞網 (ftvnews.com.tw)]

3 Likes

Well, I dunno. Convincing Americans to eat more fried chicken is probably not a tough marketing challenge.

“…Traditional American fried chicken is usually dipped in thick buttermilk and has a thick batter, whereas hsien su ji is boneless, with a thinner batter made of sweet flour. However, the most special thing about hsien su ji is that it is sprinkled with white pepper and fried with garlic and basil to give it more flavor.”

8 Likes

Cute dog! I guess Americans like fried foods.

2 Likes

It’s funny how so many diverse cultures have some variation on fried chicken. You can find basically the same thing across the globe. Selling fried chicken with a slight twist is probably a foolproof marketing strategy, whereever you do it (…but especially in the US).

Is it even a Taiwanese invention? I’m wondering if American servicemen brought the idea here.

Could be from many place that has like foods, like chicken Schnitzel or Katsu.

2 Likes

I remember a few years ago there was BuzzFeed video about the Hsiuen Su Ji

Is Taiwanese Popcorn Chicken The Best In The World?

Also in the past Universiade 2017 , the fried chicken was one of the most popular Taiwanese foods being served at the Athletes’ Village

1 Like

I’m surprised they didn’t blather on about how they have an “SOP” for making the fried chicken, and that’s part of what makes it so special.

1 Like

I feel the qualifier “Taiwanese” is doing rather a lot of work there. They may well have offered them stinky tofu, boba pizza, and fried chicken… :laughing:

Katsu was a Japanese copy of schnitzel.

as long as no whitie back from a stint in Taiwan start their own biz, else culture appropriation :sunglasses:

There’s an interesting urban legend about the creation of panko, which was supposedly invented by hungry Japanese soldiers who discovered they could cook bread dough - in the absence of a more sensible method - by hooking it up to a bunch of tank batteries. So in some small way, WW2 contributed to the elevation of Japanese cuisine.

1 Like

Wait till those American chefs figure out the next incarnation of the dish.

1. Fry the chicken once.
  2. Add some sugar on top.
  3. Fry the chicken once more
  4. Repeat step no 2 and 3 as many times as required.

??? My chicken has plenty of breast bones/rib cage bone.

Wrong again. It doesn’t use batter, it’s just pressed into, coated with a mixture of flour/starch/sweet potato starch. Than seasoned after it’s fried.

The next thing is BBQ chicken ass on a stick

Yeah, that confused me as well. Taiwanese people seem to enjoy chewing bone splinters. I assume the article refers to the Americanized version.